+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cord Blood Private Banking - Anyone reccomend?

Hello
    I didn't even know you could bank cord blood, so annoying seeing as i had my first child and didn't even know about it! Wish i had ... I am having number two and would love to private bank the cord blood.

Anyone reccomend any? I heard of Cryosite, Stem cell and a few others... Crysosite seem good in the sense of family cord blood banking - i am after something liek that... not sure if they all do it.

Just thought i would ask about everyones experiences first .
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I am banking with stem life. They are private, based locally (they have a centre here in Brisbane) and they are not involved in research (which was reassuring as it just made me feel safer to bank with them)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bump - I'm also interested to know.

Short and sweet because I sent this from my iPhone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been thinking about this. Does anyone have any info, benefits, cost etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I chose Cryosite for a few reasons. Mains one was that they are the ONLY bank to offer family banking. Meaning it can be used for anyone in the family who is a match and not strictly the donor like all of the others. PLUS they've got the longest history in Aus and were the first publicly listed bank.

I also thought the pay upfront amount was very reasonable, I've spent THOUSANDS more on car insurance over the years and figured my Son is way more valuable than my car.

******* Before all you haters get whingy, i do approcaited its all depending in your personal finances *******

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bebehvala View Post
    I chose Cryosite for a few reasons. Mains one was that they are the ONLY bank to offer family banking. Meaning it can be used for anyone in the family who is a match and not strictly the donor like all of the others. PLUS they've got the longest history in Aus and were the first publicly listed bank.

I also thought the pay upfront amount was very reasonable, I've spent THOUSANDS more on car insurance over the years and figured my Son is way more valuable than my car.

******* Before all you haters get whingy, i do approcaited its all depending in your personal finances *******
    I read on cryosite.... Family banking if your siblings is a match to donate.
    So I currently have a son, and am due to have my second baby.
    Would they not match then??
    Confused, !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    As with bebehvala, I would recommend using Cryosite. We use them too, they were very thorough & professional in the way the explain who they are & how they mange the whole process. Reasonably priced in comparison to CellCare. If you can afford it, its an insurance policy you hope that you'll never need it but you just never know. Hope this helps. Goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a heads up - I've recently heard that Stemlife are going under big time. They are broke. They've taken on an "investor" who is an ex photo copier salesman and who is now their CEO. And a google search shows that they participate in the shop-a-docket scheme. Very dodgy sounding...

I personally would not store my baby's precious cord blood with Stemlife. I'd look at a bigger, more financially stable company. It's apparently so broke that the CEO is now taking customer service calls himself. That's a red flag right there.

Does anyone know what happens to stored cord blood when a company goes under? I guess that the other companies would step up and offer their storage space?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband and I in the end went with Cryosite after months of researching and took all the factors into account, including Australian representative, TGA approval and all that. Although the price was higher than other, it didn't effect our decision.
    However everything went wrong after we paid the deposit, $700. Below incidences occurred chronologically as addressed
    1, apparently, within a day, there is no refund and cooling period after you paid for it
    1.1 They took the money immediately, although I found out my pregnancy was a bit early to make such commitment, I contacted them within the same day but they replied the day after, and indicated the payment has been proceeded, the kit has been dispatched, hence there is no refund.
    1.2 Anyway since we were settled our mind with Cryosite, we made the peace with it

2, There is minimum blood needed to be collected for the function,
    2.1 However they told us in the contract that the under size blood can be still stored due to Cryosite high tech and ability, but they don't tell us, it is pointless to store undersize blood
    2.2 On the due day, the collector came and took the blood, and clearly stated to my husband that she had a good harvest although the amount / size was not clearly indicate. Doesn't the collector should know the correct amount to collect, why she lied to us when the blood was undersized?
    2.3 The blood was in the kit and was collected 1 day later

3, Few days later we received a letter that indicated the blood was tested and undersized. Also attached with invoice with 1 month payment period.
    3.1 Then we waited for the test result, however it never came
    3.2 Then we paid the balance when the month was only couple days left
    3.3 Two days later after we paid the balance, we received a letter addressed the blood was contaminated with 2 vital virus, however the blood is stored after the testing
    3.4 We investigate and followed up further with email a day later, however their response from 2days, than a week, contact people kept changing. they called us, than we called or returned the call and again, days later they return the call. back and forth for more than a week, we couldn't still get to talk to a person for the issue. we didn't expect the service dropped this much after we paid. they responded within a day before I paid, but after I paid, (lets say) started from 2days (that was because I followed up and push for the answers)
    3.5 After the investigation, the blood was not useable. However the point was two days after they collected the blood when they sent out the mail of indicating the blood was undersized, they had the test result of 2 vital virus but they didn't tell us the result in the mail. they waited until we paid the balance which was almost a month later.

So almost 3 months later, we realized and learned
    1, The collector and company would say anything to give you a fake sense of security in order to secure you as the client (coz there are no much information in the market and people are not aware of the service yet) to start the payment process and the final balance payment
    2, we paid over $3000 for a completed nothing,
    3, we expected, the Australian rep, the service and all the positive news on the media, would take place to resolve the problem, but when the problem did occur, we couldn't see those above taken any effect, completely usuless
    4, Due to the current market, there is no competition for them, so media is onesided, or I should say they had media favouring them.

My husband and I are young professionals, and so we understand problems could occur at any sales and purchase activities. But what we are looking for is the post-sales attitude and service. In this case, we are very disappointed to say that this company is providing nothing but disappointment and unethical medical process

In the end, we got only the storage fee refunded (which is less than 1/3) and discarded blood.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel baby For This Useful Post:

twomummas  (09-11-2013)