Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Count me in!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kriista For This Useful Post:

fichicken  (12-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,

Right so its time to get going on these Meet ups(mothers group meeting).
    I think a local park is the best option as its free and on common ground ,so no cleaning up for anyone.Once we have all met we can then begin to try different locations.

So what i'm asking of you is for suggestions on parks around chermside.

These meetings are for everyone as I have found it very hard to find a mothers group that i fit into so I thought I would just start my own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    CHERMSIDE PLAYGROUP

MEETING WEEKLY ( starting the 26th October 2011)
    WEDNESDAY 10AM

KIDSPACE PLAYGROUND CHERMSIDE, Murphy Rd, 7th Brigade Park, Chermside, 4032

Hi

My name is Fiona, I am the mum to one DD age 2yrs 10 mths. I am starting a weekly playgroup for mums and dads with anxiety /depression or with partners with this, Its a chance to get together and have a chat and meet other like minded mums and dads.

So come along and make new friends. Hope to see you all there.I will be wearing a red and white stripped Tshirt and will have a sign on my pram so you can find me.

Let me know if you are interested in coming

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, I'm really glad I've come across this thread (and section of BH) as I've been struggling with depression for years, been on various AD's for the past 5 years and have only this year been diagnosed with Bi-polar disorder.

I'm glad know know now that I have somewhere to go when I have my off days and others are able to relate. I do have family and friends support but I just feel like a burden to them every time I have my bad days where I just can't cope. I do find it hard to talk about face to face because of the fear or judgement. I do go to counselling when I feel I'm in need of guidance, or to help with my mood swings and anger issues (but they obviously are controlled to a certain extent by my medication).

Thanks
    Reviews
    welcome emerald dream,

This is a area where you can feel supported, I myself have bipolar and it is a hard road and at times you can feel as if you are a burden to people but all you need to remember is that the ones around you love and support you and although they may be frustrated at times with your moods its because of a lack of knowledge about the illness.

People have a lot of misconceptions about bipolar and my plan is to inform people that at the end of the day we are "normal" people and we just take meds to control the chemical imbalance in our brains.

welcome and its great to have you here

Thanks
    Reviews

Default advertisments on tv covering BIPOLAR DISORDER

Hi everyone,

Have you all seen the latest government campaign on bipolar disorder,
    What do you think of it?
    What do you like about it?
    what do you dislike?

I think that it is a great eye opener for the community, however I think it still encourages that predudice in the community , its like its saying hey I have bipolar so please treat me differently to everyone else.

You know the type of people who when you say you have bipolar they start rattling off about some friend who had some trouble and it turned out so bad blah blah blah.

I just hope that people start to become educated in the fact that rather than big add campaign how about the government injects money into the mental health facilities currently available to the public.

I myself have been hospitilised 9 times in the past and it is very dismall regarding the state of mental health care through the public system. Once you are released from hospital you are pretty much on your own.

I think there needs to be a home visit system available to people where a counseler can come to your home to chat about things.Also there needs to be a beter follow up appointment system not just recieving some letter in the mail saying we have made you an appointment at this time if you do not attend you will be removed from our care . ummmmm some of do have jobs and needs to give more that 3 days notice of an appointment..

So what are your thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Fichicken! I think it's great that you started this thread. I have 3 family members with Bipolar 2 of whom are immediate family. I have seen a few comments on BubHub throughout the months about this mental illness that have been completely made up and false and to be honest made my blood boil.
    I was the carer of one of my family members for 3 years and I was only 17 at the time, I spend endless hours doing research and talking to phsyc doctors at the mental health hospital to get the best understanding possible. I witnessed attempted suicides, drug and alcohol abuse and high and lows that you could only read about. It took over 5 years to pinpoint a proper medication to control this family members extreme lows. In no way would any of my family members hurt others they are only self destructive. Because of the severity of Bipolar in my family, myself and my brothers were tested for it at a university, where they observed the function of our brainwaves while we watched a tv screen. I hope you sharing your personal experience stops people assuming those with bipolar are unpredictable phsycos. All my family members are medicated correctly, functioning members of society and if you met them you would never know they suffered from the illness.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mezzee For This Useful Post:

fichicken  (31-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats the thing about society they want to sterotype everyone. We need to break away from this way of thinking and think of the different qualities in everyone not just one point of their lives.

BIPOLAR IS A CHEMICAL IMBALANCE IN THEIR BRAIN, NO YOU CAN'T CATCH IT WERE BORN WITH IT.

When the hormones in your perturoty gland kick of in puberty it causes chemical changes in your brain and this is when people will start to show traits of bipolar disorder, if we had a good mental healthcare system in australia then it would be a more ******lined process for diognosis for bipolar and it would save taxpayers a lot of money in terms of hospital stays and such.

The problems is that people with bipolar tend to be ashamed of their illness due to society's opnions on it. I f we could all move towards acceptance then we would be able to improve everyones mental health

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,

Well what a huge couple of weeks we have had at my house.

I have started a playgroup and its seems that no one is interested in attending and to be honest I don't think I have had it in me to put enough effort in in the past two weeks anyway. The reason for this is that I had a MC at 5 weeks gestation in the past 3 weeks so a very sad time for our family.

But that being said I was surprised with how well I did cope this and that I did not just curl up in a ball for a month because that use to be my reaction to these sad times.

On another note I have been researching the governments current mental health campaigns and also looking into the types of free mental health care that is available in australia. I'm very surprised at the lack of follow through in terms of care. This will be my focus over the coming months.

Anyway would love to know what free types of mental health care you have in your area and what type of services you think would benifit you and your family.

CallaLilly is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011 - Funniest Member Award
    Donnybrook, WA (aka the middle of nowhere)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My way of explaining it is thusly- if you have diabetes your body doesn't produce enough insulin so it needs to be added, it's a chemical imbalance. If you have bi-polar disorder your brain doesn't produce enough seretonin so it needs to be added, it's a chemical imbalance.

I haven't seen any ads where I live, but I wouldn't be surprised at anything said; hell most people still believe there's such a thing as crazy! ("Crazy" is only a legal term, it does not exist in the medical world.)

If anyone wants to chat I'm here- well, once I figure out how to use this new-fangled technology called a computer that is..