+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bipolar Disorder

Would love to start a thread in regards to bipolar as there seems to a lot of preconcieved ideas floating around due to media coverage and tv shows.

I'm proud to say that YES i have bipolar and im still a funcutioning member of society. I say stand up stop being ashamed of it. People that judge you on it are not worth your time.

Just dispell common myths

We do not have split personalities
    we a not crazy
    some of us do not experience lows and only get the highs(hypermania)
    not all of us hear voices
    some of us do self medicate due to the unavailibilty of proper support services eg. government support.We do this through drugs , alchohol etc

My common symtems when on a high are

rapid speech
    big dreams/plans
    spending large amount of money on silly things
    high sex drive
    angry outbursts
    being happy ,very excited regardless of current circumstances eg. my grandad passed away while I was in a hypermania phase and I went out to the valley to party and have fun. not the right reaction to someone that i was very close to.
    very disorganised.
    not sleeping at all for days

these are just the things that I experience other get some of these or more.
    On the plus side people tend to say that im very outgoing and bright and happy.

Would love to answer any more questions you may have on this subject.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fichicken For This Useful Post:

Patience86  (03-02-2013),~ElectricPink~  (07-10-2011)

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fichicken View Post
    Would love to start a thread in regards to bipolar as there seems to a lot of preconcieved ideas floating around due to media coverage and tv shows.

I'm proud to say that YES i have bipolar and im still a funcutioning member of society. I say stand up stop being ashamed of it.
    Hi fichicken. Thanks for starting this thread, I hope it can dispel some myths and educate other bubhubbers! I do not have Bipolar Disorder, but I certainly know many who do. And like you, they are "functioning" members of society! I see a lot of misconceptions about Schizophrenia too, and it is not doing anyone any favours!

I'll be reading this thread with great interest!

Thanks
    Reviews
    thats it all it takes is some infomation to change peoples minds and dispell myths. It is very prevellent , most people are diognosed between the ages of 19 and 27 which is a hard thing to take on board once you have started your adult life.

I was not diognosed until I was 22 It was such a terrible time for my family and dh because when you are in a high you dont notice how you are affecting others.

I will be regually updating this thread to keep people informed and my hope is to remove the stigma's placed on this mental illness

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fichicken For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (07-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i suffer from manic depression also and i can definitely say im probably the sanest person i know.
    being diagnosed as bipolar didnt ruin my life, in fact it answered so many questions about my reactions and behavior that it was actually a blessing to be diagnosed.
    my manic symptoms are much like yours, but i also get very wary of people, and tend to think there is a double agenda to everything.
    im normally a very sexual person, so when im having a manic episode i tend to get sexually aggressive (nothing dangerous, just more rough but drew likes it so who am i to complain).
    i find that the more stress i have the longer my episodes last, and they tend to last for days now, rather than hours.
    when i get depressed i can be quite irrational and hard to bargain with. i also panic alot.
    but like i said before, it makes me who i am. im the kind of person where you either love me or hate me and luckily i have a heap of family and friends who love me not only despite of all of my quirks, but also because of them. they make me who i am and im thankful for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,

wow what a day, had a visit from my mother in law which always sets of my anxiety attacks(awesome). She is very critical of my cleaning standards.

On the plus side Im really enjoying living in brisbane now, more open minded people than a certain central queensland town .haha.

LETS CHANGE PEOPLES MINDS. GIVE THEM KNOWLEDGE ,TAKE AWAY THEIR POWER

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi thanks for starting this I dont have bipolar but do get very depressed and can take it at times my mum has it tho.I live on the north side of Brisbane so if you would like to meet one day for a coffee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just want to be another to say thanks for this thread. I don't have bipolar but my dh does.
    He was initially diagnosed and medicated for depression which made his depressive episodes worse.
    It's been a long road for both of us and I have found it hard too.
    Will behold to be able to get some
    Insight from those in the know

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub-that's why it's full of bad grammar and spelling mistakes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'll join you OP.

My Dx changed my life! I finally knew after 10+ years that I am normal & not some freak of nature.

Best thing that ever happened to me & my family. My meds work & I can function.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi all. My DH has bipolar disorder.
    He is an amazing person but when he's in a mood omg! Lol.
    But we manage well I also have Depression and anxiety so our house can be AWESOME sometimes!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerchick View Post
    Hi thanks for starting this I dont have bipolar but do get very depressed and can take it at times my mum has it tho.I live on the north side of Brisbane so if you would like to meet one day for a coffee.
    yeah thats sounds great