+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bleeding in early pregnancy

Hi everyone.
    I am 7 weeks pregnant and yesterday I started to bleed and have cramps. The blood is red in colour and there are sometime clots. It does not mark my panty liner but is quit visible on the toilet paper and in the bowl. I went to the ER this morning and the doctor performed an internal exam similar to a pap smear. He informed me that my cervix was tightly closed, but due to the clotting he believed me likely to micariage. I now have to wait until Tuesday to habve an ultra sound and get the results to the blood Yeats he conducted, but I am getting very scared. This is my first pregnancy and I am not sure whether this is common. Is there any chance I could still carry this baby to term??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there,
    I'd be seeing another doctor and demanding an ultrasound asap. I had two bleeds early on and both times the er docs were unsympathetic and seemed pretty convinced I was miscarrying. I'm now 25 weeks (with number 2) and so far all is going ok so needless to say I didn't miscarry..
    Both times I had to fight for my ultrasound, but I strongly suggest you do, as that is a LONG time to have to wait to know if your bubba is ok.
    Good luck, hope it's just an innocent little roadblock

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The fact that your cervix is still closed is a good sign. I have heard of many women that have had bleeding and even clots and gone on to have viable pregnancies, so I have my crossed for you and your little bean.

Have you had a scan yet to confirm the pregnancy? I recently went through something similar and it turned out that I had an ectopic pregnancy, I went to the ER twice with bleeding and cramping and was pretty much told I had to wait and see what happened, my cervix was still closed so I was holding onto hope. When I went for my scan a few days later they realized bub was in my tube and I had an ectopic pregnancy, because they picked up on it so late, my tube had already ruptured and I had bad internal bleeding and had to be rushed off to surgery where they removed the baby and my right tube. I don't want to scare or stress you even more then you already are, but if your cramps/bleeding get worse go back to the ER

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danielle13 View Post
    Hi there,
    I'd be seeing another doctor and demanding an ultrasound asap. I had two bleeds early on and both times the er docs were unsympathetic and seemed pretty convinced I was miscarrying. I'm now 25 weeks (with number 2) and so far all is going ok so needless to say I didn't miscarry..
    Both times I had to fight for my ultrasound, but I strongly suggest you do, as that is a LONG time to have to wait to know if your bubba is ok.
    Good luck, hope it's just an innocent little roadblock
    I agree with all of this, demand for a scan.. everything may (and I hope) be okay, but 5days to wait for a scan is ridiculous, they need to get you in now, or tomorrow. ER's can get sonogaphers to come with a portable scan machine to conduct a scan, I would suggest going back to ther ER and ask if they can do this for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Danielle. The doctor was not very helpful. He told me there is no active bleed and that the blood is likely to be coming from above the cercix, but he did not at all explain what any of that meant.
    I'm nit sure where else to go for an ultra sound. I spoke to my gP and he said the same thing as the ER doctor. Any suggestions??

Congratulations on two successful pregnancies. I will be keeping my fingers crossed that I am as fortunate as you.
    Thanks again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks BlueBoys. I had a blood test and scan lat week to confirm. My mother had an ectopic so we have been pretty on top of it. The scan was early at 5wks 6days, but they were able to detect a heart beat.

Thank you so much for your support, and I am truly sorry to hear of your complications. His is sUch a scary time, its very comforting to have this support network.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nikki245 For This Useful Post:

Littlemissmetal  (06-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd suggest going to a different hospital if there is one nearby and starting afresh.

I'd also be inclined to exagerate the cramps. I had cramping with my first bleed (I was also 7 weeks) and laid it on thick, they ended up doing an ultrasound to make sure it wasn't ectopic.

Sorry you're having to deal with this, it's hard when you don't know whats going on and can't find anyone who will help you

I've found the best thing to do (although can be frustrating) is to not let them brush you off. It's your body and your baby and if you need to make some noise to get answers, do it. As they say, "the squeaky wheel gets the oil".

Good luck x

9. The Following User Says Thank You to danielle13 For This Useful Post:

Vic35  (06-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Danielle. The doctor was not very helpful. He told me there is no active bleed and that the blood is likely to be coming from above the cercix, but he did not at all explain what any of that meant.
    I'm nit sure where else to go for an ultra sound. I spoke to my gP and he said the same thing as the ER doctor. Any suggestions??

Congratulations on two successful pregnancies. I will be keeping my fingers crossed that I am as fortunate as you.
    Thanks again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Goodluck nikki, the fact they saw a hearbeat and bub is growing in the right spot is a good indicatator, aswell as your cervix being closed! I started a thread on here a couple of weeks ago when I went through my ordeal and got alot of reassurance (even though things turned out for the worse) there are alot of women that bleed/cramp and even pass clots that go on to have viable pregnancies. I hope everything is okay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hi hun, i have had bleeding in early pregnancy that lead to m/c but also that lead to a successful pregnancy and a now 18month old - i could go either way but having a closed cervix is a great sign. Bleeding is pregnancy is actually quite common and can be caused by lots of things, not just a m/c. In my case i had a very big bleed, bright red blood and was sure it was a m/c (having had m/c's before that started the same way) but an ultrasound revealed a beating heart - along with another empty sac which was the cause of my bleed. I also remember being told woman often get clots that can cause bleeds in pregnancy - scary but not usually an issue.

I don't want you give up hope but there is also a chance it could be a m/c.
    I hope that is not the case for you. It sucks being in limbo so fingers crossed Tuesday comes fast for you and get the answers you need