+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do I get 10 week old baby to drink Neocate?

My 10 week old has colitis due to food allergies. She has been exclusively breastfed and I have been on a total elimination diet for about 6 weeks. I am trying to get her on to Neocate however she wont drink it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have ready people say they have added a drop of golden syrup or icing sugar however my paediatrician didn't think it was a good idea..

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do you need to wean from the breast?
    The only thing that comes to mind is feeding the Neocate through a supply line at the breast, so bub gets used to the taste, but this won't work if theres something unusual like true LI and you need to wean her from the breast straight away...

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    hey
    you could try a supply line on your finger so bubs is sucking your finger ?
    I used to syringe it into DDs mouth a couple of mls at a time.

HUGS hope things improve

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    I used to syringe it into DDs mouth a couple of mls at a time.
    I did this too until DS got used to the taste. It took a couple of days before he was drinking away from the bottle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i had the same problem with my bub..

all i can suggest is express and mix the two.. i weaned DS on to the neocate slowly.. day one i mixed the milk so it was a quarter neocate.. next day i done half and half and so forth

Neocate tastes foul but by doing it that way he happily drank it and does now without complaint

6. The Following User Says Thank You to insanity For This Useful Post:

Chazrity  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, further to this - i have tried golden syrup and pure icing sugar *cringe* against paeds advice.. Waiting to hear back from him as he wants to talk to a nutritionist who works at w'meads children's hosp. I am calling nutrucia tomorrow for any other suggestions as I had a google and there appears to be flavour packs produced by nutrucia to add to Neocate. I want to see if this is available in Aus as its not on the Aus site, only the US one. Anyone had any experience with the added flavour packs? (I'm not referring to tropical flavour that you can buy pre prepared btw).. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with mixing EBM with Neocate to get your bub used to it. I wouldn't add anything else if it were me. My DD started Neocate at 13 weeks but luckily she drank it without issue, probably because she was starving! If your bub has had bad reactions from feeding it's not surprising she's wary of new food. Have confidence that she'll take it in time - once she realises it can fill her tummy and make her feel better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not BF'ing I think I will try mixing HA with Neocate and gradually wean. Thank you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, we have somewhat resolved it and thought I'd post in case anyone has the same issues etc. I rang the company and they told me that they have just released a vanilla flavour. It's not widely known as its very new. Some suppliers to chemists have it on back order while others have a few tina available. We personally found that DS drinks it - not as much as normal formula but this could be the composition as he also seems fuller.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm glad you've had some progress!