+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    After I had DS, one of the midwives went outside and we could hear a lady down the hallway of the delivery suite screaming her lungs out. I've never heard anything like it in my life (except on maternity shows) A few minutes later, the midwife returned to the room and we could hear a baby crying.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by northern View Post
    Thats why I don't want to watch this until after my labour! I'm due in 2 weeks and I don't need to be seeing that kind of thing!
    i actually found watching loads of births helped with my labour.
    when i started saying 'i cant do this' part of me said 'oh it must be transition, pushing soon'
    it was great for my dh too, as he had some great examples of how NOT to support me!
    but definitely watch some home births on youtube, so calm and peaceful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'll probably get lynched for saying this, but I don't think the midwives were laughing at her pain as such. Working in healthcare, it's easy to get desensitized to the things that you see, and when you DO find the things you see distressing or frustrating, quite often humor is the way of dealing with it. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a nurse or midwife who hasn't had a bit of a stress relieving giggle during or after a 12 hour nightshift with a particularly challenging patient (or laboring woman). It's certainly not a matter of laughing at someone in pain though if you get what I mean?
    Exactly this^
    I bet that midwife went home with a headache

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Bloody screaming banshee!

My god. I was vocal but there was no way I was able to form a sentence etc because thats how much pain I was in, I was delirious. She was just taking the p!ss I think, even when she had the epidural and couldn't feel anything she was shrieking why? Her poor husband haha I think he'll be getting a vasectomy haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    Bloody screaming banshee!

My god. I was vocal but there was no way I was able to form a sentence etc because thats how much pain I was in, I was delirious. She was just taking the p!ss I think, even when she had the epidural and couldn't feel anything she was shrieking why? Her poor husband haha I think he'll be getting a vasectomy haha.
    I thought it was a bit daft to be screaming even though she was completely numb! I went from 0cm to 8cm in an hour without a sound- it was too bloody sore to make any noise let alone waste energy screaming. Maybe if I'd had to actually push it would be a different story

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeyLoaf View Post
    I thought it was a bit daft to be screaming even though she was completely numb! I went from 0cm to 8cm in an hour without a sound- it was too bloody sore to make any noise let alone waste energy screaming. Maybe if I'd had to actually push it would be a different story
    I know some people are quiet and some people are loud etc etc thats fine but its not even logical as to why she was screaming kwim? She wasn't in pain...she couldn't even feel it. She was still holding onto that gas too when she was completely numb I think she was just a sook TBH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Lemonhead, I don't understand your avatar - "get some pork on your fork" but that'd be cannibalism?? Are you Jewish?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I watched this show and wished I hadn't. Haven't read all the replies, but I think the woman screaming was trying to escape the pain rather than accept it. My opinion if course.

I had a midwife tell me to my face "marna, You CAN do this!" in what was kinda an angry voice. I knew her so maybe that helped, but I think in times of pain different people need different things. The midwife telling her to shh might have had the best intentions in helping that woman "come back down to earth" etc.

I dunno. In my labors I was lucky to have midwives I knew and ones that knew me enough to feel comfortable to tell me things angrily because they believe in me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Lemonhead, I don't understand your avatar - "get some pork on your fork" but that'd be cannibalism?? Are you Jewish?
    Yes, yes I am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of mine's midwife discretely put earplugs in during her labour! She had a cervical lip so I'm sure the screaming was warranted!

I did some pretty good yelling during both my labours but it was more guttural groaning though my breaths and really only during transition/pushing. It was pretty noisy though- when I had DD, my dad was in the waiting room and had to leave because he couldn't stand hearing me in pain!!

I agree that every woman handles it differently, just like anything else in life.