+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's the sad thing. I remember when I was screaming one of the midwives waited for me to stop, grabbed my hand, looked me straight in the eyes and said "okay you can do this. Put the gas in your mouth, now breathe in, breathe out, breathe in." I'll never forget that. She was so supportive, understanding & helped me get through the next contraction.
    People forget that when you're in that much pain, you feel frightened and you just want to run. Midwives were amazed at how calm I was during my labour but when I was 7cm dilated, calmness went out the door and I was yelling and groaning like a cow lol but hey it worked. I rememer one midwife told me that yelling wouldn't help & I grabbed her & said "I'M the one going through this right now & if I want to yell, I'm going to do it and your going to sit there and smile! If you want to push this baby out, then do it!" She shut up after that lol
    I feel terrible for the way some women are treated = ( It really effects their birthing experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty21 View Post
    Keeping quiet & grinding your teeth doesn't help.
    You've got to remember that we're all different. I didn't let out a peep until the moment DS crowned. I just didn't need to yell/scream, I was quiet but focused, and it worked perfectly for me. So, in essence, keeping quiet DID help me immensely.

Each to their own

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (06-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think she means if your body needs you to be yelling etc it's probably not best to hold it in. Totally agree LG everybody copes differently, heck, the other woman on the show barely made a peep and just kept rocking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LG View Post
    You've got to remember that we're all different. I didn't let out a peep until the moment DS crowned. I just didn't need to yell/scream, I was quiet but focused, and it worked perfectly for me. So, in essence, keeping quiet DID help me immensely.

Each to their own
    I was the same with my first
    With my last two I was heaps vocal, each labour is just so different you don't know how you will react/cope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    keeping quiet does work for some women.. It's whatver works for the woman but no one should be judged or ridiculed
    Last edited by SugarSkull; 06-10-2011 at 10:26.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (06-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I was in labour at the hospital I heard a woman screaming exactly like the woman on the show and honestly at the time I found it very distressing and I felt so bad for her but at the same time i wish she'd be quiet cos I couldn't concentrate!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I kept talking to the TV saying GET OUT OF THE DAMN BED!!!

When i was in labour there was a lady screaming and swearing in another room. I had a giggle. I found it amusing, it sounded like she was yelling at everyone who went into her room, swearing at them.
    I dont "judge" her for how she delt with it, scream if it makes you feel better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When I was in labour with my 1st there was a woman doing the big deep groaning sounds and it freaked me out a little, but then I just thought 'I won't be like that' and blocked it out of my mind. Well, I screamed when I pushed DD1 out..for 1 1/2 hrs our of the 1hr and 44min it took to push her out. Not a useful scream, a terrified scream like that woman. The idea of having to push a baby out of my vagina at the point terrified me and it totally consumed me. However I look back at DD1's birth with the fondest of memories
    By the time it got to my 3rd, when I heard a woman who was obviously near the end of her birthing journey all I said was 'I want to be where she's at' because I knew I'd be very vocal by the end and I was.

Oh, she was on a fit ball at one stage so maybe they've tried encouraging her to get out of bed but she didn't want to? All three of my pregnancies I ended up on the bed...my choice each time. With my first, when I was struggling and screaming and pushing my midwife and my DH pulled me off the bed and I clawed my way back up on it The last labour I attended as a Doula I tried to get the mother in to some better positions but she absolutely refused to. Even the midwife was encouraging her to get in some better positions but we got very stern 'no's' in return and in the end we stopped trying so she could just focus on having her baby where she wanted to.

I know that often these suggestions aren't made, and that there are so many flaws in our system it's ridiculous. I'm not disputing that. I guess I would just like to think that in her case the bed is where she felt comfy and that they just edited out the bits with the midwife's helpful suggestions.
    Last edited by Areca; 06-10-2011 at 10:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The girl who was screaming even said before she was in labour that her and her friends were wondering how she would handle the pain as she is a real whimp.

I didn't take offence to the midwives, they were telling her how wonderful she was after she had given birth, I don't think they were poking fun at her at all.

I think the thing that annoys me most from this show is the fact that they have posters clearly stating skin to skin contact, but most times, the baby gets wrapped in a towel straight away?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the show! I haven't watched last nights episode yet.. might get to it tonight when the kids are all in bed!

Sometimes i wonder if the women make it out to be so much worse than it is because they know they are being filmed iykwim

Is it bad that i take pleasure in watching it and seeing other women in pain?