+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh yes, sure do, and they brag about it to anyone who will listen, saying how easy it is to scam Centrelink.

Extended family members; two teenagers with a 6 month old baby. Live at home, don't pay rent or utilities and don't buy their own food. Neither have ever had a job despite dropping out of school five years previously. Both claiming single parent and disability, thanks to the old friend-of-the-family doctor who has fudged medical records to "help them out"

They will brag until the cows come home of their $2000+ each income, not to mention extra baby bonus, and tell us we should do it.
    Thanks, but no thanks. I'm too honest, it would kill me to be so trashy and horrid.

I've reported them and nothing was done, not even a pause of payments until an investigation was done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kind of...

They have 14 kids and the father has a sore back...but always seems to be lifting things around the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    Oh yes, sure do, and they brag about it to anyone who will listen, saying how easy it is to scam Centrelink. Extended family members; two teenagers with a 6 month old baby. Live at home, don't pay rent or utilities and don't buy their own food. Neither have ever had a job despite dropping out of school five years previously. Both claiming single parent and disability, thanks to the old friend-of-the-family doctor who has fudged medical records to "help them out" They will brag until the cows come home of their $2000+ each income, not to mention extra baby bonus, and tell us we should do it. Thanks, but no thanks. I'm too honest, it would kill me to be so trashy and horrid. I've reported them and nothing was done, not even a pause of payments until an investigation was done.
    I think they are overestimating. Disability payment is around $550 single rate, so by 2 that $1100. Then FTB and rent assistance for one child is around $350 p/f. So they would be earning just under $1500 a fortnight not 4k. You can't get disability plus a whole SPP.
    Last edited by delirium; 17-04-2012 at 20:54.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

share a book  (17-04-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I've accidentally done that. When I returned to work, it was April, and I was getting no pay slips. I thought I knew enough about taxes to be able to calculate gross earnings based on what went into my acct each fn, but between April and July I miscalculated so had to repay $60 to centrelink. Complete mistake, and I put it back onto my employer for refusing to give payslips.
    same here, but their mistake. they were paying dh and i both rent assistance, and we didnt notice for a year (when we notified them we werent renting anymore) bit of a debt there, but i dont mind as we werent entitled to the money anyways.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to get riled up over such things, but age/time/epiphanies have reduced my rage somewhat.

Me and my husband support ourselves completely and have for years. We were both on Newstart after uni until we got jobs, and I was soooo glad to be off it. I get a lot of personal satisfaction out of being able to manage my money and take care of myself, and although cheats can make a fair bit of coin, they can't really get that, and wouldn't understand what a big boost it gives you. The ones I know cheating the system, well, I wouldn't trade positions, they have their own issues which go with that attitude, and they pass that on to their kids.

The newstart helped me but I saw it as a stepping stone, and I am happy for my taxes to go toward helping others, especially those doing it tough or who are also using it as a stepping stone, including single mums.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellymoe For This Useful Post:

share a book  (17-04-2012)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used to, but no longer friends with the person.

I don't know how people can do it. I'm so honest it often ends up causing me more trouble then good. I could never do that intentionally. I am the person that if I accidently walk out the store without paying for something will walk back in and pay for it and apologise. No matter how far away I got before I realised.

I just dont see the need for it. We dont have alot of money at all just on DP's wage which is an average pay rate. But I wouldnt rort the system just to get extra cash. Id rather just do it tough. At least its honest.
    Last edited by LifeInShadesOfGrey; 17-04-2012 at 22:18.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjfergusson View Post
    Well I do even if it is a tiny amount! I work hard so people can get payments from the government, and now that I have to leave work early because of a car accident injury that is worsened by the pregnancy centrelink will not help me. Basically until I get the baby bonus (I am not eligible for ppl) I will have NO income living should be fun!!!!!
    oh oh! i know the answer to this one!
    you shouldnt be having kids if you cant afford them! you should have saved up a million dollars (obviously from working a good job, or at least 3 bad ones to earn enough) before even ttc just incase one day something happened, and you were unable to work!
    thats the right answer isnt it?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

delirium  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It doesn't matter if it's $5 or $500. Cheating is theft plain and simple. It's robbing the honest taxpayers and to be honest is setting a poor example for the kids.
    - to answer the question I don't know any cheats and if I did I would dob them in! (if I was sure of the facts)
    Last edited by VicPark; 17-04-2012 at 23:36.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

All smiles  (18-04-2012),MissWinter  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My best friends sister was getting spp even though she doesn't live with the child and her parents raise the child. Having said this, it's partly the parents fault because they won't admit this is the truth. Mind you they are only living off one income themselves and get nothing from CL. I'm sure she's now claiming a disability pension (didn't realise being off your face all the time was a disability?!). All the while her money is spent on drugs and alcohol. She has been dobbed in numerous times by her own sister. I hope karma gets her in a big way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I posted this in another 'welfare cheats' thread last year. Can't be bothered re writing at this hour, but the info is still relevant:

I couldn't not post though after seeing this thread. I am a social work student and have just handed in an essay about misconceptions regarding the welfare system and welfare recipients. So often the media will scream 'welfare cheat!' or 'dole bludgers' in an attempt to rile people up and anger the 'honest, tax paying citizens.' During my research a lot of truth came to light about the reality of the situation...

In 1998, in the same era of the last calls for welfare reforms by the Howard government, headlines cried out about "570,000 welfare cheats" who have "cheated the taxpayers out of millions of dollars" from fraudulent overpayments. It was later revealed (though without any of the same fanfare the lie had caused) - that precisely 99.3 percent of the overpayments were due to administrative error and other reasons not even remotely related to fraud.

In 2002, Family and Community Services Minister Amanda Vanstone made a cheap appeal to voters by announcing a 'crackdown' on 'Welfare Cheats'...Despite it being revealed again, later, that just 0.05 percent of people receiving welfare were doing so on a fraudulent basis.

These are just a few prominent examples of deliberate misconceptions within the 'welfare debate.'

(statistics sourced through academic reference: Peel, Mark. The lowest rung: voices of Australian poverty. Cambridge University Press, 2003.)

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EchoSummers For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (17-04-2012),Ana Gram  (18-04-2012),Annabella  (19-04-2012),delirium  (18-04-2012),Izy  (18-04-2012),shelle65  (18-04-2012)