+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am desperately working to keep mine under $200 per week for 2 adults, 1 3yo and a 7mo who's on solids. That includes nappies or formula.

I've always meal planned and am trying to plan 2-3 meals a week that don't use expensive meat but I still can't get the cost down!!

I think the cost of food is astronomical!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by remembertobreathe View Post
    Erm, wow, where am I going wrong?!

I spend about 400 p/f with two adults and 1 15m old DS !
    Wow! Try shop online at Coles, they deliver for only $9 I go for the cheapest of everything I need, its easy to shop online and saves money, you can organize it so it comes up cheapest prices first that's what I do!
    Try it out! Hope this helps! Have a good day!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spend around $180 a week for 2 adults, a 2 year old & 1 year old, nappies for the 1 year old and formula (which will be stopping in the next few weeks!!!). I buy all toiletries from Chemist Warehouse.
    It's so much money!! I menu plan and don't buy expensive meat, mainly mince, chicken & sausages. I do get it delivered from Coles now which I thought even though I'm paying delivery should be cheaper because of no impulse buys but really I think I impulse buy online now instead.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amesv For This Useful Post:

ICmumma  (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel like a horrible shopper I spend about $500 every 10 days that's for 3 adults ( 1 pregnant plus 2 large men) and 2 children (who eat as much as the large men) plus 2 cats.....I cook most stuff from scratch and buy the cheaper brands including the $1 bread.....how do I cut it back more?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spend about $160 a fortnight for two adults and an eight month old. My dh owns a butcher shop so I don't pay for meat which keeps our costs down heaps, if we had to pay for meat it would be a lot more because my husband loves his meat and will easily eat it 5-6 times a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Currently i spend about $200 a fortnight but tonight or tomorrow when i do my shopping i am taking $150 cash to get everything that is needed as i am sick of spending so much money plus i need to go to the laundromat which is taxi money plus however much to get stuff dry.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I got my bill down by making my list using coles online, and then spending hours fiddling around with it until it was at budget.

I make most things now, and bigger quantities.

I just buy seasonal fruit and veg, and look at the cheapest per kilo. Eg, I used to buy mushrooms at 10/k but bought eggplant at 4/k, broccoli at 2/k etc instead. same with fruit. Then I base cooking around that.

Soups go a long way.

I make bread, yoghurt, cakes etc, pizza dough, jam, hummous, dips, sorbet.

Also buy in bulk. You can buy 4l tins olive oil, 1k something of pitted kalamata, sundried tomato.

Also started making some cleaning products.

My son is only wearing nappies at night now, which saves money, although we mostly used cloth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    But my 100 pw doesn't include cat food. That's an extra 20-25pw for 3, with the vet type food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krystallxx View Post
    God women I need you too teach me !!
    It's not that hard, really! For fruit and veg, what I dont grow at home I buy from the fruit and veg markets, it's about a quater of the price then coles/woolies produce and half the price of fruit an veg shops produce. Meat is brought in bulk, either at the butchers or from a farm, (once or twice a yr we go 4ths with relatives/friends and buy a whole cow, lamb and pig, which gets cut up and sectioned to each person, that is enough to keep us stocked for 6months - easily fills our 200litre chest freezer) i do not buy anything that is packaged, so i make all the kids snacks, Cupcakes cost me about $5 and it makes 40, just get 2 coles cake mixes (the ones that cost 74cents each) you need 2 eggs and some water and then i ice them (icing sugar, butter and food coulour) fruit and jelly cups - make up jelly costs like $1 a pack and a tin of fruit, put the jelly in plastic cups and add some fruit I also make all their muesli bars, biscuits etc. and a huge batch of fruit salad and also make match stick sized carrot, celery, cucumber and capsicum and some cherry tomatos, and have them with dip/peanutbutter with some sliced cheese, ham and crackers (the kids love the variety and soo healthy) also make our own yogurt. Breakfast is cereal or toast during weekdays, pancakes or a fried up brekkie on weekends - My mum has lots of chickens so we get all our eggs for free. And apart from all those tips, I have 1000 and 1 budget but healthy mains/desserts for the evenings.

It might sound like hard work, but it's really not, especially once you get in the routine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    For two adults and three kids we average $250 a week. That's 6 dinners, no cleaning products, no formula, no chocolate, no chips, no lollies, no soft drink/cordial/juice etc. I make just about everything from scratch, I usually spend either $8 or $11 on meat, sometimes $20 but that's maybe once a month at most. I buy from a green grocer and my meat from the butcher. I stock up when things are on sale etc. too

I cut it back from $300 a week and had it less than that but now DS is in disposables full time and that put the cost up.

I have made peace with the fact that our grocery bill is larger than average. I am a big label reader and refuse to buy anything that has lots of preservatives in it (my aim is for none) and refuse to buy anything with salt in it that isn't necessary and that means not always choosing the cheapest. We are also big eaters...DS is the only one who isn't a big eater but I'm sure that will change.

I also have kids with food allergies and that puts the price up a bit. When I get a thermomix I'll cut it down again hopefully