+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ellen Barron Family Centre helped us!

Hi All,

So I had heaps of problems with my now 14month old and her sleeping. She was never good a sleeping as she was 11 weeks prem and from the very start was continuously waking through the night and only have cat naps during the day. It didnt improve as she got older and we tried everything possible, co-sleeping, crying it out, controlled crying, feeding and dummy.
    One day after 2 weeks of no sleep at all, I went to the Dr's and they suggested a sleep centre in Brisbane. I must tell you it was a god sent. It only took my then 13month old 1 day to catch on and she now sleeps for 1hr in the morning, 2hrs after lunch and sleeps through the night 7pm to 5am.
    What they do there is teach you how to identify what cries mean what, that whinging doesnt mean they are upset, i means they want attention and that continually going into your baby is actually keeping them awake. They dont condone controlled crying, they use a method called comfort settling.
    It does take awhile to get in (2months) but it is totally worth the wait, and if you are totally committed to doing everything they teach you, your baby will be sleeping better much quicker. And having a sleeping baby means a happy baby.

I am happy to answer any questions etc that anyone may have.

Skye

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know this is an old thread but I have had the same experience so will contribute here. We've just got home from Ellen Barron and I'm so happy with the result. DS used to wake every 1 to 2 at night to feed, now it's every 3 to 4 hours. He also settles better for day naps and has better feeds instead of snack feeds. I also found the education talks there useful and it's kinda nice to talk to other moms that have the same problem. Before I came there I thought they used controlled crying but actually they don't. Depends on age of bub they introduce hands on or responsive settling.

The facility is very nice, clean and cosy. The food is terrible, it's hospital food but there are always bread, cheese, ham, jam, milk, yoghurt, fruit... in the fridge. I ended up go out to Westfield shopping center to eat. But it's all free so I shouldn't complain Most of the nurses are very good and I like the way they talk with you everyday to set up/ review goal to achieve. However you have different nurses in different shifts and some of them don't understand the goal / bub as well as the others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have heard that place is very good glad your little ones are sleeping better.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tigerchick For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (24-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm looking at doing this for my 15 month old ds, we are Gavin some major sleep issues at the moment!
    Do u know if there is a age limit and how do I go about getting into this place? Do I just need a referral from the gp?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got my referral from MHCN. This website has information on the centre http://www.health.qld.gov.au/rch/pro...s/cchs_rsp.asp

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks to all the positive info I am on the wait list for my 2 yr old she vomits every where from working her self up when she is put in bed and wake about 3 times a night still. So thank you I feel much more at ease going now with 2 yr old and 4 mth old