+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Amazing news today - DD gained 170g in 5 days!!!!

I am feeling so much better about things now. The weight gain really reassured me that we have made the right decision for our baby girl. I can't even tell you how excited and relieved I was when we put her on the scales!! The nurses here were all so happy for us. So we're heading home tomorrow on a high.

Last night a few of the parents were chatting and I told them a bit about my reasons for being here and one of the mums started telling me that the comps must have ruined my supply. I knew I'd come across people like this, who think they know everything about BF from their own problem-free experience, and I wasn't sure I'd handle it too well. But I just told her that I know I did everything I could to make it work and that sometimes it's not what is best for baby, and I left it at that. I was pleased that I handled it ok, without getting upset or too defensive.

So other than my left boob aching like crazy, and a belly ache from eating too much thai food during our celebratory night out, today I feel pretty good

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Izy  (04-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm so happy you have a wonderful outcome. A happy mummy and happy baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So excited and had to share - DD got weighed at the clinic today and compared to her last weigh-in on those scales, she's gained almost half a kilo in 2 weeks!!! We also saw her paed and he was really happy to see her playing catch-up. She's even made it back on to the chart (5th percentile)!

I am loving my happier baby, it's such a difference.

While I am still grieving BF, every gram she gains, every good sleep she has and every happy smile makes me feel better.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Lulu56  (07-11-2011),MilkiCuddles  (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just thought I'd update...

DD has continued to gain weight well. After her huge half a kilo gain, she put on 345g in the following 2 weeks. She is also starting to look a bit chubbier . The reflux has pretty much disappeared as well.

She is sleeping well and very interactive and alert when awake so I am finally really starting to enjoy it all.

I'm still not feeling completely happy and am continuing counselling. I thought I'd be all good when DD got on track but my anxiety is still hovering around.

Occasionally I start having thoughts about what else I could have done to continue BF, but those moments are short-lived as I just need to look at how much happier and healthier DD is now.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Lulu56  (29-11-2011),MilkiCuddles  (29-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's great news cue, glad bubs is doing well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well DD is now 3 years old and such a happy and healthy little girl! I decided to re-read this thread as I am now 15 weeks into my second breastfeeding journey with her beautiful little brother. It hasn't been an easy road but it has been much better than it was with DD. I'm happy to say that DS has been exclusively breastfed since birth - it has taken a lot of perseverance, motllium, some pumping and lots of cluster feeding but here we are.

However, DS has started to show signs of CMPI. No reflux thankfully, but his day sleeps have been pretty poor and his poop is turning green with loads of mucous. He is much calmer and happier than DD was, but again we're struggling with poor weight gain. It's very stressful and my PND has been creeping in again. I got on to it quickly though and started counselling straight away.

I'm seeing the paediatrician tomorrow and will decide what to do next. We should have the results of DSs second stool sample - the first found white cells in the stool which may suggest inflammation in the bowel. The second test should tell us whether its persistent or if it was just a once-off.

DH is adamant that I shouldn't do the restricted diet and that DS should go on a CMPI formula if it is confirmed tomorrow that DS has it. After my experience with DD I do agree that it would be best for all of us, but I am so frustrated that we're going down this road again. Breastfeeding has become quite easy and DS is a great feeder so it will be such a shame to stop. At least I can now look at DD and know that DS will also grow into a healthy kid, that breastfeeding is not everything.

It has been great reading back on this, seeing all the support I got and remembering everything I went through during my breastfeeding experience with DD. It helps keep things in perspective for this experience with DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well we saw the paed today and he thinks CMPI is quite likely given all the symptoms. I'm so upset, I knew it was going to be the case but now that it's a reality I am so confused about what to do. Do I cut out dairy and keep BFing? Or do we go to formula full time? I just don't know. History repeating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You know more this time, and you have insight into what CMPI looks like. Is it worth trialling a dairy free diet, to see if it is manageable for this baby with breastfeeding? You know that prescription formula is there if diet doesn't work out.

Is your older child still affected by cmpi?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    You know more this time, and you have insight into what CMPI looks like. Is it worth trialling a dairy free diet, to see if it is manageable for this baby with breastfeeding? You know that prescription formula is there if diet doesn't work out.

Is your older child still affected by cmpi?
    I have decided to cut out dairy and continue breastfeeding for now, but I don't know how long I'll keep going. I saw my PND psych last night and we made a plan to try a dairy-free diet for 2 weeks and then meet again to reassess. I also need to give DS a comp feed of the CMPI formula (trying AllerPro this time as it doesn't require prescription - Neocate is a pain to access these days) so we've introduced a 60ml comp in the late afternoon. After a few days of refusing the bottle DS has now started accepting it from DH which is a huge relief. Even if I keep breastfeeding, I need to accept that a bit of formula is what's best for him at the moment to get him gaining some more weight.

DD has thankfully grown out of her CMPI. She can have anything now and is a great eater. If she has too much dairy she does get a little gassy but otherwise she's fine now. Quite amazing considering how it affected her as a baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did the Paed mention anything about lactose intolerance? Out paed put 12 week old DS on lactose-free formula short term after many weeks of runny and mucousy poo and slow weight gain.

She says it might just be a short term intolerance after a bout of gastro or something as it's rare for babies to be truly lactose intolerant long term. So going lactose free will give his gut the chance to heal after being inflamed and irritated.

A few days after switching to lactose free formula (Aptamil De-Lact) DS's poop went back to normal and he was happier.