+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    Just one small suggestion about the green poo. Probiotics, friendly gut bacteria, have been shown to help babies with colic symptoms. Most babies with colic in one study got better within a week of being given lactobacillus reuterii. My daughter had similar issues following antibiotics, she was windy, grumpy and had green mucous poo. I took some blackmore's probiotics with l. Reuterii and gave some to her, and she was better in a week. It was really a huge relief, because up til then I'd been cutting out dairy and it hadn't helped one little bit. Here's where I found that:
    http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/colic.html
    That's interesting, I'll have to look into that.

DDs poo has been a bit more normal today, getting closer to the normal colour and less mucous. I've been off dairy & soy and using the Neocate formula for top ups for about 5 days so maybe it's working. But I will definitely mention that to her Dr when we see him in a week - it would be such a relief if it's not intolerances!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck with tresillian cue. Hope it helps you relax a bit more and get more time to just enjoy bub!
    If you did want the SNS I'm not far from tresillian but otherwise goodluck with your switch to FF.
    I found it took about a month
    For my girls tummies to get completely used to formula and they had no intolerances or allergies so hopefully bub will settle down to it soon.
    And you know what Cue it all seems so big and scary now but after going through it twice I now look at my girls 4 and 2 in their preschool class rooms and you would never know which ones had been BF and which ones had been FF.
    At this point whilst I know very well the Breast is best if I were to have number three they would be going straight to formula completely as soon as they started to lose weight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe her tummy upsets were just caused by the formula you were using?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    Maybe her tummy upsets were just caused by the formula you were using?
    That thought crossed my mind too, but it seems the general consensus is that it's most likely intolerances because of the mucous, colour and frequency, plus it's common for reflux and intolerances to dairy and/or soy protein to go hand in hand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumofbigT View Post
    Good luck with tresillian cue. Hope it helps you relax a bit more and get more time to just enjoy bub!
    If you did want the SNS I'm not far from tresillian but otherwise goodluck with your switch to FF.
    I found it took about a month
    For my girls tummies to get completely used to formula and they had no intolerances or allergies so hopefully bub will settle down to it soon.
    And you know what Cue it all seems so big and scary now but after going through it twice I now look at my girls 4 and 2 in their preschool class rooms and you would never know which ones had been BF and which ones had been FF.
    At this point whilst I know very well the Breast is best if I were to have number three they would be going straight to formula completely as soon as they started to lose weight!
    I discussed the SNS with one of the lactation consultants here, but after a long conversation about that and other ways to keep BF through all the problems we've had, I decided against any further measures. I need to avoid setting myself up for more disappointment.

Today, as part of my care plan while here, we planned out the weaning process. Today we're alternating breast and bottle and if I feel up to it, tomorrow we'll do 2 bottles in a row in the afternoon.

I was going to do this slowly but have realized that I'm just dragging out the pain. I feel like my BF journey is on life support and it's time to switch off the machine. Hmm, maybe a little dramatic.

When I gave DD a bottle today, we had a really nice extended play time and great tummy time before she got tired and went to bed with minimal fuss. Usually the BF + comp goes for almost an hour, then nappy change & quick play then she's tired and cranky. So I'm realizing that in our case, FF is going to give us mire quality time and that I don't need BF to connect with her and for us to enjoy each other.

I'm sure I'll have many more sad moments while we make the transition but for now I'm trying to stay positive.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Izy  (01-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Once you are both at ease at feeding time, I think you'll find that you are both happier for it Stay positive, you are doing the best thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like a great plan Cue. Stay positive and look at all the good things that will come out of the switch. Look after yourself and remember that it's ok to feel sad about finishing BF. Good luck and big hugs your a great mum.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mumofbigT For This Useful Post:

Izy  (01-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cue - congrats on your feeding journey, your little one is very lucky to have a mum that is so commited to her well being.

My sister really struggled with breastfeeding right from the start. She kept a tin of formula at my place so her hubby wouldnt know she was giving him the occasional bottle. When her DS was about 8 weeks old and she was showing signs of PND - we spoke to her about it. We all came to the conclusion the her DS needed her to want to pick him up more than he needed breast milk and the day she switched to FF she was a much more involved and affectionate mum. (PS he is now 5 and about to started a gifted kid program at school)
    In my case I BF DD for 8 weeks and she is now a happy healthy 5 yo and with DS i breast fed for 6 months - he has asthma and eczma - so there are much bigger things at play like genetics!

The amount of pressure we put on ourselves and each other is sad. I am so glad you had the support of the healthcare providers and fellow hubbers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're now well into the weaning process. Yesterday DD only had a BF for the first morning feed and one evening feed. I'll do the same again today and tomorrow while my breasts adjust, then see if I can just do one feed.

The staff here are amazing and are supporting me through.

I'm not looking forward to the last breastfeed though

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Izy  (01-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well it's all done. We had a breastfeed this morning and I knew it was the last one. It was a good feed, DD was sucking really well and was relaxed. She filled herself up, let go and smiled up at me.

It was incredibly sad but I'm glad it was a nice experience and it didn't end with a bad, fussy feed. It breaks my heart that she doesn't know she won't be BF again. I keep wondering if she'll miss it but I'm sure she's only interested in having a full tummy.

Tomorrow night DH and I are going to go out for dinner and I'm going to eat something that I haven't been allowed to eat while BF. No more soy & dairy free meals!

I can't believe it's over. It happened quickly in the end which I think was a good thing. I can now focus on the next steps to getting DD 100% happy and healthy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Izy  (03-11-2011)