+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well we couldn't get in to see her paed (despite my begging and insistence it was urgent) so I went to the GP on Friday instead. She sent us to the children's hospital - she could see how worried I was and thought dd's symptoms warranted it.

Luckily the hospital was able to pull her results and she's not lactose intolerant. They do think her reflux medicine isn't working anymore and have put her on Losec instead. They also gave us a script for a prescription formula (neocate) because the paed at the hospital thinks she has an intolerance to dairy protein which apparently appears in 30% of reflux babies.

We're on day 3 of the Losec, it's supposed to take about 5 days to kick in. We're also using the new formula for her top ups and bottle feeds. Her poos are settling down and she's been a bit calmer so hopefully it has helped her pain & discomfort. I've also cut out all dairy (it's amazing how much stuff has milk protein in it!) as I'm still BF.

This feels like such a convoluted journey but we are getting there slowly. I feel much better about the formula feeds now that we have the prescription formula, but just trying to overcome the guilt of all this - not only have I struggled with BF, but the formula was making her sick! The feeding gods are not on my side, clearly!

On the positive side, she had a good gain of 130g this week - yay! - and this has helped me to know we're doing the right thing.

It's taken a while but I feel pretty good about this path. I'm so glad I persisted and got the new meds & formula. Another step closer to a happy & healthy bub.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Izy  (24-10-2011),MuminMind  (24-10-2011),Ulysses  (25-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Good Luck Cue. It sounds like you guys really have had struggle after struggle.

May the lack of dairy in your diet make a difference, and please embrace what ever feeding choice is healthy for you and your baby. BFing doesn't work for everyone.

I'd love to see you continue BFing, but if it's not right for you than it's not fair to put pressure on yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also found that cutting out dairy from my diet helped my bubs 'colic' (that was the diagnosis we were given). After a few months i was able to introduce it back into my diet and she no longer reacted to it.

Glad that you found someone who is listening to you.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i tried cutting out dairy while i was waiting on the results of dd,s intolerance test & it was sooooooo hard OMG i totally agree that its in so much stuff. Dont beat yourself up about your choice, you made the best choice for you & your family & you can't do any better than that. I had losec for dd & it worked really well after the 1st week or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The dairy thing is definitely difficult! I'm pretty much surviving on dry cereal and toast (discovered dairy-free margarine) during the day, I just don't have the time or inclination to shop and prepare special meals. On the other hand it should help drop those last couple of baby kilos!

DD has been unsettled again and her poo is still green. It does seem to be improving a little, hard to tell. Does anyone know how long it takes for the dairy protein to completely leave my & her systems?

I'm glad to hear losec has worked for others, I'm really hoping it settles her reflux down.

Today was a very down day, feeling quite sad about giving up BF but also really not enjoying the feeds anymore. I like having her close but the feeds are just not productive which gets me down even more. I keep thinking I must have done it all wrong but I know I did everything I could.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you really want to continue breast feeding........
    Try this
    It will enable you to comp feed so you can be sure your daughter is getting enough, while at the same time, giving every feed from the breast which is very important for supply. It really is the best of both worlds. It is available at many places, this was just one of the first I found when I searched. As your supply builds, you can reduce the amount you are complimentary feeding. I would really suggest chucking the bottles. Your breasts need to be told by your baby how much milk to produce, this way, they will get the message, she will get enough, and you will have peace of mind. Stress is also very damaging to supply, so your peace of mind is extremely important. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a very similar story to you twice over. Both my girls lost weight non- stop from birth even though they had 24hr acess to the breast and I was taking every thing possible to increase supply as well as pumping. I had no choice but to give formula but fed them on a supply line until 3 months. At that point they needed more formula then could be given via the supply line so finally were given a bottle and breast refusal soon followed.
    I was devastated but had no choice if my children wanted to live. I grevived for a long time and am still sad that my body can't provided for babies what it should.
    ABA really helped me through both times to greive what I had lost instead of like most people who go oh well they will be fine on formula.

The one thing I wish I knew then which research let me find out. If you have to comp with formula on a bottle ( and yes some people HAVE to) give the bottle first! If they would normally take a 20mls of a comp after a breast feed, put only 20mls or even drop it by 10mls in the bottle that way when they finish that they are still hungry put them on the breast to feed till they are full and content. This way they learn to associate the happy contented feeling with the breast not the bottle. If you are unsure If they have emptied the breast, pump after the feed and how ever much milk you get drop the comp by that much.

There has been alot of research into this and has proven to be alot more effective at keeping bubby at the breast while them getting what they need. I really don't know why it's not taught more in Australia.

All I can really say though is big hugs and make a date to make your decision by then feel free to throw it right out the window and have a big cry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have seen the SNS before - the problem I have with it is how to cope when out of the house. Being tied to the house isn't a good idea for me and my state of mind. DD is also quite weak at the breast so would this encourage the weak sucking?

That's interesting about giving the bottle first, I've been told the opposite by all the LCs and nurses.

I think it's all too late now anyway, DD is 12 weeks tomorrow so I think we're passed the window for setting strong foundations for BF. I also don't think supply is an issue anymore, it's the way she feeds. I can have her at the breast for an hour and she just doesn't fill herself up, and then she doesn't settle, then we start the whole process again with her getting more and more overtired.

I'm taking it slowly, just one day at a time so hopefully I'll find a balance that works for us or FF full time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where abouts are you at cue? I have 2SNS if you would like to try it I'm happy to send you one. I also have tricks to feeding with them out and about I managed to use them anywhere you would normally BF.

I know most LC suggest bottle after but most specialize more in attachment problems or short term supply issues not how to keep bub at the breast with long term supply issues. There is a really great book on supply but I can't remember the name at the moment I bought it and gave it to the head of the midwife clinic I attended and after reading it they now teach bottle first.
    I can get you more info if you would like but be happy with your decision to stop if BF is taking over your life.
    Sorry and yes SNS will teach them to suck more effectively and they don't get disheartend as they are getting milk at the breast.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mumofbigT For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (26-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumofbigT View Post
    Where abouts are you at cue? I have 2SNS if you would like to try it I'm happy to send you one. I also have tricks to feeding with them out and about I managed to use them anywhere you would normally BF.

I know most LC suggest bottle after but most specialize more in attachment problems or short term supply issues not how to keep bub at the breast with long term supply issues. There is a really great book on supply but I can't remember the name at the moment I bought it and gave it to the head of the midwife clinic I attended and after reading it they now teach bottle first.
    I can get you more info if you would like but be happy with your decision to stop if BF is taking over your life.
    Sorry and yes SNS will teach them to suck more effectively and they don't get disheartend as they are getting milk at the breast.
    I'm in Sydney - I just don't know if it's a good idea as I've already started the process of going to FF (she gets 1-2 formula feeds per day). I'm so confused about what I should/want to do. DH is set on FF but we're taking it slow while we work out why she is unsettled and having funny poos.