+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi cue, just read the whole thread and while I don't have any advice just wanted to say you're doing an amazing job. Well done on the weight gains, must be such a relief. Hang in there!

Sent from my LT15i using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would try to avoid the comps now and just focus on breastfeeding for a few days. See how you go. Just put bub to the breast whenever you can.

If you need to, you can start them again but i don't think you will need to. You are doing great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    I would try to avoid the comps now and just focus on breastfeeding for a few days. See how you go. Just put bub to the breast whenever you can.

If you need to, you can start them again but i don't think you will need to. You are doing great.

Yeah I only offered her 2 or 3 comps yesterday and she only took one of them (50ml EBM). I think I might limit it to afternoon/evening feeds only for this week and see how she goes when she gets weighed again on Monday.

DD has good sleeps during the day now, but usually has a bit of a cluster feed period so she's on the breast a bit then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So I have made a very difficult decision. Over the next month or two I will be moving on from breastfeeding. The plan is to take it slow, firstly by reducing the motillium a bit at a time and cutting down on expressing.

This was a very hard decision and a long mental process but it was made easier by the facts in front of me. DD just isn't gaining enough. Despite the regular comp feeds of ebm and even having one meal per day of formula (which I started doing 3 days ago) she only put on 30g this week. She's also fussing during BF and getting more difficult to settle.

Also, the decision may be made for me as we're testing her for lactose intolerance. I saw her paed today and he had a look at her poo (I had a photo of it on my phone - yeah I know, gross, but you know you're a mum when there's pictures of poop on your phone!) and that combined with her gassiness, unsettled behaviour and weight issues he thinks it's a strong possibility. So I need to collect a sample for testing. If she is intolerant I will have to stop BF and the decision is made.

I am trying to focus on the weeks of BF that I have achieved, but it's also slightly tainted by the thought that it might have been the cause of pain & discomfort for her all this time. In any case, I did my best and will now focus on what's best for DD moving forward.

Thanks everyone for your support and for believing in me. I do feel like I've let a lot of people down, so many people have helped me but BF just isn't a realistic way forward for us anymore. I'm completely gutted but at the same time relieved that I won't be struggling with BF and all the anxiety that comes with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Thanks everyone for your support and for believing in me. I do feel like I've let a lot of people down, so many people have helped me but BF just isn't a realistic way forward for us anymore. I'm completely gutted but at the same time relieved that I won't be struggling with BF and all the anxiety that comes with it.
    Oh please don't feel like you've let anyone down! I've been where you are, I too had the decision in part made for me - I felt like the universe conspired to put obstacles in front of me when it came to bf - but I only made it to 6weeks. You have done sooooooo well to hang in there as long as you have, it really is exhausting juggling the feeds, expressing, sterilising...I was a mess! At the end of the day you have done your upmost and given bub the best start in life, but happy mummy = happy baby!! Time to let go of the anxiety and kick the guilt to the kerb! You are making a well-educated decision in the best interests of both of you so there is ZIPPO to feel guilty about! You haven't let anyone down. You've down an amazing job, so pat yourself on the back for that and move on with peace

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Cue,

If bub is truly lactose intolerant, than breastmilk is better for them than formula. CHeck out this link http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/lactose.html

Your bub is still gaining weight, and not losing weight. You are doing great.

If you choose to stop breastfeeding, hold your head high, because you have done a great job giving your bub a great start.

I would encourage you to give the ABA a call, or see a lactation consultant, because some of the advice you have been given is questionable. Sometimes Paediatricians are not breastfeeding experts and can advise parents to 'move on' to formula, which doesn't solve the problem, and then parents are still dealing with the same issues and have added disadvantages of formula over breastfeeding.

best wishes in whatever you decide,

take care

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Whatever you choose to do from now on; I think you are an absolute champion! I wish we would stop being so hard on ourselves as mothers. It saddens me to read that you feel as if you have let someone down. On the contrary, I think you have been a great inspiration to others who are struggling. And I hope you don't feel guilty about the thought "that it might have been the cause of pain & discomfort for her all this time"- as you put it. Think about everything you have gone trough (expressing, breastfeeding for hours, taking motillium, etc) to provide her with breast milk. You have been nothing short of amazing, and your perserverance shows how much you care about your daughter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls. Its been a tough week! DD has been very unsettled, especially after a BF, and has been screaming the house down. Her poop has also turned bright green and I think she's having quite a bit of digestive discomfort. She seems to sleep better after a formula feed but it's very up and down.

I got a stool sample from her on Tuesday and am now waiting on the results. We're not scheduled to see her pead again until late November but I just can't wait that long. I called his office and left a message for him, I need to get some answers sooner than that. If I have to, I'll go to the emergency dept at the children's hospital. I can tell she's in pain and my instincts tell me somethings going on so I need to persist.

This is such a roller coaster, I just don't know what to do. Her weight is falling further behind, she's so unsettled and the green poop... It's all got me so worried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi cue just wanted to drop in and give you
    Our breastfeeding isnt going great as now dd is now taking more formula than breastmilk. She seems to just have a drink from me then pulls off and refuses any more. I then give her a bottle which she then nearly finishes. My milk has definately dropped but I still keep offering it to her as im reluctant to give up the breastfeeding but something has to give soon.

My dd also has green poo but was told this is from the iron in the formula and she also seems to have moments when she is upset and seems in pain. I think she may have reflux but everytime I have mentioned it the health professionals just blame something else (usually feeding issues)

You have done so well, and the fact that you have done all this just for your dd shows what a great and dedicated mum you are, you should be very proud of yourself
    Hope all goes well, will be interesting to see what the results show up.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, regarding your latest post - ring the paed & tell the receptionist you are EXTREMELY worried about your baby & need a urgent appt when can he fit you in. I do it all the time & have never waited for a appointment, i only ever go to the paed when i am worried so i usually ring them & tell them its urgent & i am really worried mention it is a young baby & they fit you in for an emergency appt.

Good luck