+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know its hard but weight gain is not the only sign that bub is getting enough and doing ok. What are her nappies like? What is her skin like?

It's great that you are getting some good breastfeeds happening now. If you can hang in it will get easier, babies know where the good stuff is if you give them the option.

I hope the weigh in goes well, but try not to have everything dependent on what happens tomorrow. Bub being sick can affect weight gain, because they are using energy to fight the bugs, and maybe not so much into growing.

I remember giving bub an extra feed in the waiting room, and hoping she wouldn't poo before the weigh in so it would give her extra weight . Sometimes i would feel disheartened cos she only had a small gain but the next week she would have a big one, i learnt (it took awhile) to try not try stress cos bub was ok, and that was just her weigh gain pattern.

take care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    170g!! Yay! She's now only 120g off her expected weight. It's given me more motivation to keep going.

Thanks bubbles. Her nappies are usually pretty good now that we're comp feeding, when she was only BF with no EBM/formula top ups they were definitely lighter. She also had some loose skin on her legs but this is filling out now.

We worked on her latch at the clinic today as she tends to use me as a straw rather than taking a proper mouthful. I'm going to focus on this because it should help her get mire from the feeds.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (12-10-2011),missie_mackxxxx  (10-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Congrats cue!!!

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wohoo! That is fantastic news, and you are obviously doing the right things!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So now DD is sick with a cough and stuffy nose. Poor kid can't catch a break at the moment!

Obviously this means her feeding is not going too well as she's tiring quickly. I'm trying to express as much as possible so we can get food into her through the bottle but I am finding it harder and harder to face the pump. She's only had 30ml of formula in the last 48hrs though so not doing too badly. I just couldn't get any more out of my aching boobs!

I also forgot to take the motillium last night and I could really tell the difference when I woke up for her feeds. So I doubt I'll be able to reduce that medication.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Cue,
    Just wanted to send my support and say I know exactly what you are going through.
    My DD is 9 weeks and I feel as if I've spent too much time struggling with BF. My goal has also kept changing - I was going stop at 6 weeks, then 8 and now I'm aiming to make it to 12 weeks then re-evaluate. I've sought so much advice and tried everything then this weekend she started to refuse BF which I guess was inevitable and for my own sanity I am now expressing when I can (rather than every feed as our feeds were going for about 1.5 - 2 hours when I took into account the whole process of BF, followed by FF, followed by pumping, followed by sterilising .. it doesnt leave much time for sleeping, play time or even time to leave the house) so I feel so much better now since it feels like I've taken some of the pressure off. Also ATM our top-ups of either EBM or formula are now 120ml so more like full feeds than 'top-ups' but I was getting so stressed about her not putting on weight so now she is gaining weight but not from BF.
    Anyhow I just wanted to say you are not alone in your struggles and good on you for keeping up with it.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey cue,

I'm yet to have any experience with bf but I wanted to pop in and also tell you I think you've done and are doing a wonderful job. I always see your posts in the new post section on my phone and have a read.
    Feeding for over two months already is fantastic after what you've been through. Your perseverence is inspiring and I really hope you hit 12 weeks and it becomes the easiest thing in the world.

Also well done on seeing the counsellor. You are doing a great job.

Take are of your yourself!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I could have bf.. well I did for 3 and a half months but my girl was prem so I had to be attached to a machine grrr... and i feel i lost the initial bond & stuff But they told me in spec care that any amount of breast milk bub gets is like GOLD and it all counts & I had to stop because I was drying up and I just could breast feed the bond wasnt there kinda thing so yea I expressed as much as i kinda could froze it in deep freeze and yea then switched to formula.. I think your body will tell you when its over it or i tried the pills and they worked really well after about 8 weeks good luck ! either way you have already given bub the best start possible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lill View Post
    Hi Cue,
    Just wanted to send my support and say I know exactly what you are going through.
    My DD is 9 weeks and I feel as if I've spent too much time struggling with BF. My goal has also kept changing - I was going stop at 6 weeks, then 8 and now I'm aiming to make it to 12 weeks then re-evaluate. I've sought so much advice and tried everything then this weekend she started to refuse BF which I guess was inevitable and for my own sanity I am now expressing when I can (rather than every feed as our feeds were going for about 1.5 - 2 hours when I took into account the whole process of BF, followed by FF, followed by pumping, followed by sterilising .. it doesnt leave much time for sleeping, play time or even time to leave the house) so I feel so much better now since it feels like I've taken some of the pressure off. Also ATM our top-ups of either EBM or formula are now 120ml so more like full feeds than 'top-ups' but I was getting so stressed about her not putting on weight so now she is gaining weight but not from BF.
    Anyhow I just wanted to say you are not alone in your struggles and good on you for keeping up with it.
    Good luck!
    Wow, so many of us go through this, it's just awful isn't it. I know exactly how tiring the process is with feeding, comps, washing bottles, pumping... then start all over again. So draining. I am getting less confident leaving the house as it's such a process at each feed.

Good luck with your 12 week goal, we should both be proud of how long we've persevered already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Etienne - thanks so much for your words of support, it really does help. I know 2 months is an achievement so trying to focus on that. It's hard to stay positive though. The counseling is definitely helping.

Krystal - sounds like it was tough for you too. I'm very lucky that DD is generally healthy and we didn't have the added difficulties of being prem. It sounds like you did really well under the circumstances.

DD is still unwell but the last few feeds have gone well and she's refusing the comps! Hoping that's a good sign that shes filling up with the breastfeed but we'll see what the next day brings.