+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I buy free range eggs, chicken, pork and any other meat where poss- don't eat a huge amount of meat (slowly going back to my vego days) but as far as eggs go, it's fee range or not at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Free range organic here for all animal products for health reasons! Not letting those cr@ppy chemicals get thru to my family, ick!

---------
    Leah and Dan
    Lucy 5
    Minnie 2
    Pippi due 29 sept

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Free range. I just can't bring myself to buy caged eggs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Free range and organic. I pay $10 for a dozen eggs as they are the best I can find locally. I can't wait until I have the yard space to have my own chickens!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hemakesthree View Post
    Free range and organic. I pay $10 for a dozen eggs as they are the best I can find locally. I can't wait until I have the yard space to have my own chickens!
    I get mine on the way to the farmers market, $5 a dozen, honesty pay system not certified organic just organically fed and grown chickens buy a lovely lady, the pros of living here!

---------
    Leah and Dan
    Lucy 5
    Minnie 2
    Pippi due 29 sept

Thanks
    Reviews
    Free range, because I hate battery farming.

As far as organic foods being healthier though, take a look at this article ...

The study, published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, is the first "systematic review of the available published literature," according to the authors from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.

The authors found no statistical difference in nutritional content in 10 of the 13 nutrient categories studied, and chalked up any differences that were noted to use of fertilizer and ripeness at harvest.
    Basically, it boils down to the fact that 'high-quality' studies (i.e. those that demonstrate high levels of rigour & disclosure) haven't found any significant health benefits from organic food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdad View Post
    Free range, because I hate battery farming.

As far as organic foods being healthier though, take a look at this article ...

Basically, it boils down to the fact that 'high-quality' studies (i.e. those that demonstrate high levels of rigour & disclosure) haven't found any significant health benefits from organic food.
    That's debatable. I personally don't see how pesticides sprayed on foods *can't* affect you... I'm sure I've read other studies that say there is a difference, maybe not nutritionally but I'd hate to think what those chemicals are doing to my body that they say are 'ok'. I personally don't want to take that chance! I use my money to vote on that one, I buy local. The DVD food Inc was a great eye opener on this.

---------
    Leah and Dan
    Lucy 5
    Minnie 2
    Pippi due 29 sept
    Last edited by shinebrite; 26-09-2011 at 23:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't go out of my way to buy free range, I buy cage or barn laid when I am at the shops and buy free range local farmers eggs from the butchers if I have to get meat.. We normally have chooks but at the moment we don't I hate chickens truthfully, like their eggs and their meat and I agree they don't deserve to be mistreated but really who is to say they are?! I mean sure their living conditions are different but they are still laying so obviously a little bit happy, apparently only happy chooks lay eggs?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meegzz View Post
    I mean sure their living conditions are different but they are still laying so obviously a little bit happy, apparently only happy chooks lay eggs?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v2-tG-DLcQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4K0pM7NI90

Last edited by duncan_bayne; 27-09-2011 at 00:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 4 chooks & on average they lay one each per day. As dh works away, DD & I don't eat many but I give a dozen a week to my parents & any leftover to workmates.
    Prior to having them, I only buy free range.

Like pp's i find our eggs (& so does everyone else) are much nicer, creamier & definitely bigger and with beautiful yellow yokes.

There is actually so much research that you can put into your chooks- to get the nicest, strongest, yellow yolked, creamy eggs.
    The type of chook, how old they are, what plants you plant in their coops ( ie: planting marigolds for them to eat gives them lovely bright yellow yolks)
    What you feed them etc