+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow - so everyone buys free range???

Well, I have to say that I buy cage eggs. I did have my own chickens, but sadly they got eaten by wild/ escapee dogs (didn't see it happen, so not sure which). I'm hoping to get some more soon.

As for my reasons for buying cage... Hmm... not sure I have them. My family always have and it's not something I have put a lot of thought into.

I can't tell any difference taste-wise between fresh/ free-range/ cage eggs, and I must have been doing something wrong as my fresh eggs were usually smaller than supermarket ones!!

But other than that I'm afraid I can't give a reason that doesn't sound like an 'excuse'. It's not something that troubles my conscience very much, but I'm not sure why, as I do care about animal welfare. I can't really give a good response - I'm sorry!

It's nothing to do with the cost. It might be because I buy in bulk, and from memory free-range ones tend to come in 6-packs...? But I'm really not sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Is it expensive to do the set up for a couple of chickens?

We get the odd python in the backyard. Is that a real risk to the chickens? Although half of brisbane gets pythons, I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always buy free range or from the farmers market. Wish we could have our own chooks but think my dog would probably eat them and we don't want that!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a mate with chooks who kindly gives us their excess eggs. When we run out I'll only buy free range.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well it turns out mine are cage. I just buy what mum bought.

Would really like get started with home chooks.. Will see how the House wife thing goes and i might start it next year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Nah I just buy whatever is cheapest whether thats cage eggs or whatever...

I haven't bought eggs in months though. Our neighbour brings us over double yolkers from his farm that would get chucked out otherwise as they are not selling quality. They're HUGE and lovely yellow yolks he brings us about 25 a fortnight all for free. Such a nice guy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Wow - so everyone buys free range???
    I think part of it is the way the question was phrased, implying that anyone buying cage eggs is doing the wrong thing.

However, even if the thread title was a neutral:

"What type of eggs do you buy and why?"

There still would be a disproportionately low number of cage egg buyers respond as in reality - and that would be because the non-cage egg buyers are more likely to see it as something of importance, whereas the cage-egg buyers are more likely to just be doing the same as everyone else without much real thought on the matter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    I think part of it is the way the question was phrased, implying that anyone buying cage eggs is doing the wrong thing.

However, even if the thread title was a neutral:

"What type of eggs do you buy and why?"

There still would be a disproportionately low number of cage egg buyers respond as in reality - and that would be because the non-cage egg buyers are more likely to see it as something of importance, whereas the cage-egg buyers are more likely to just be doing the same as everyone else without much real thought on the matter.
    Yeah I definitely agree.
    When I read the title it came across as: "Do you buy free range eggs and if not, WHY NOT? DONTCHA KNOW YOU'RE A CRUEL HORRIBLE WITCH?!".

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lovely fellow at my DH's work gives us fresh eggs, otherwise I buy organic free range eggs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I stumbled across this earlier reminded me of this thread #2

http://www.cracked.com/article_19433...#ixzz1Z3jLcB9Y