+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mother in law has chooks and brings them over every week and if I have to many share with the neighbours as they are very popular, people comment how you can really taste the difference between caged and backyard eggs....guess due to the completely spoilt exsistence her chooks have. Luckily these ones lay all year round unlike her last lot......I don't buy eggs even if she runs out. I too have heard that free range isn't always that "free".
    DS has been bugging me for 2 days to buy him his own chook......

Thanks
    Reviews
    I noticed at my local wollies the other week that the wiggles have their own eggs out!!!...I had to stop and double look,couldnt believe it...Wonder if they are free range? I cant say i noticed as i was to busy trying to get my head around why the wiggles would need to put their faces on a carton of eggs!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to daisymoo For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (26-09-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Free range since watching a doco years ago. Would give up eggs rather than buy eggs produced by mistreated chickens.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    dp would just buy the cheapest, but i refuse to buy anything other than free range. having said that, i buy the cheapest free range i can find.
    i used to buy from a lady who has her own chickens but they stopped laying for a while. they're laying again now but i'm back in the habit of buying at the supermarket lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    We also have our own chooks so don't need to buy eggs however the comments I get from people who buy our eggs are that they are huge, the yolks are actually orange and that they taste much different to the caged ones from the supermarket. I checked it out for myself the other day and was amazed how tiny even the so called jumbo sized eggs at the supermarket are. No wonder I can't close the eggs cartons or get an egg cup that actually fits one of our home-grown eggs.

As for being pets they are fantastic. The kids love collecting the eggs and feeding them and they can be very tame. Ours will follow me around the yard and love to eat out of my hand. I lost one recently and boy did I cry. The kids were devastated and at their insistence we had a "chook funeral" for her They really are lovely animals so to think of them being mistreated is so sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it would be great if only free range eggs were even available! While people can still save a few pennies they will. Same goes for chicken, pork, etc. The price different is so negligible I don't think there is any excuse.. But I don't think consumers will make the change. Retailers need to force the issue! I know not everyone will agree with this sentiment but it's how i feel... And the taste difference makes it worth it even if you don't care about chickens!!!

Is anyone watching Hugh's Fish Fight?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I try to get eggs from friends when I can, but other than that I buy free range and organic from local health stores or markets. It would be extremely rare for me to buy eggs from the supermarket as I don't trust the "free range" eggs from there, whereas the ones I get from my local stores are from smaller, local farms.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am pretty sure ours are free range, I am about to put the shopping away so I will check. But we by large size eggs as mum was bought up on a farm and when she tried using normal supermarket eggs there was never enough.. eg to make a pavlova the same size as she would at home she found it was 12 normal supermarket eggs.

A question for those of you with chickens..

How hard is it to set them up & look after them?

We used to have duck but my sister never really looked after them, and then her Husbands dog got them. I've no idea why she chose ducks as she was vegetarian and didn't eat eggs.

I am looking at chickens however we only use maybe 15 eggs every 2-4 weeks, Is it ok to only keep one or does she need a friend?
    We don't have dogs, but the neighbourhood cats frequent out backyard... I think they have set up a fight club in the old swimming pool. Would a small avery cage work as a roost is I watched them free range during the day so they can de-nsect the vege garden?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will pay a little bit more for free range eggs, but not double.

For example, at the moment I can buy free range eggs for $4 a dozen. If I see cage eggs for $2 a dozen, then I will buy them instead. But if I see cage eggs for $2.70 a dozen, I'll think the free range eggs aren't that much more expensive so I'll pay the $4 for the free range ones instead.

I really don't think it makes that much difference what little people do, the big change will happen with the big consumers. When companies like Sara Lee start using free range eggs, that is when the demand for cage eggs will dissapear.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I found this guide to labelling which is kinda interesting - helps somewhat (although still vague)
    http://www.animalwelfarelabels.org.a...d=7&Itemid=227

http://animalwelfarelabels.org.au/in...category_id=10
    Last edited by Buttoneska; 26-09-2011 at 15:20.