+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I buy free range from a farmers market. I "believe" they taste better and look fresher- golden yellow inside. Who know whether they do actaully taste any different- I heard they don't.

I'd love to say it's because they treat the hens better but tbh- I have no idea how they treat the hens. And I'm taking word of mouth that cage owners don't treat their hens nicely so no- lack of research into this suggests this is not the reason at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I always buy free range, we can't really afford to but it's something I *can't* budge on... along with my organic/vegan shampoos, conditioners, body washes, washing liquid and cosmetics.
    I read somewhere once that Chickens are the most abused and mistreated animal in the world. I think it was that Evil Ronald guy but can't be sure..

I'm an animal lover, some people think I'm mental, but I don't care I hate to think of ANY animal suffering in any way. My facebook was flooded with Oscar's Law recently before I attended the rally. I annoyed people but my care factor was zero.

I do eat meat though..and I make pathetic excuses for it I do try to buy the organic meat most of the time and I refuse to buy halal, or let my kids and DH eat at any of the halal sausage sizzles (I've copped heaps for that, but if I don't stand strong in my own beliefs, then where do I rest my morals?)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post
    I read somewhere once that Chickens are the most abused and mistreated animal in the world. I think it was that Evil Ronald guy but can't be sure..
    I have heard that, too. I don't think taking an extra few minutes of research and an extra $2-$4 is that difficult to try to curb their suffering.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

RunningWithScissors  (26-09-2011)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have chooks, but if I have to buy eggs, I buy free range. I think Pace Farm are the most free range of all the free range types? I heard that somewhere.

I would go without eggs rather than buy cage eggs.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Benji  (26-09-2011),DaughteroftheForest  (26-09-2011),Happy2be3  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Free Range all the way. We had chooks when I was a kid, and once I moved out of home I always bought free range, whether in the shop or a lady at work who sold her surplus.

Now I but the local free range brand from the Farmers Market. I get 5 dozen for $16!! The brand is also in the shops here but not at that price. And I know they are actually free ranging as you can visit the farm ad see the set-up.

I would never buy cage eggs. Apart from the cruelty, the yolks are so pale and they taste very different. not nearly as yummy!

Laksa - how many eggs do you get a week from 2 chooks? We've been thinking of getting some but are not sure how many we would need!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Californication, we have 5 chooks. they lay, on average 21-25 eggs a week. We always have surplus. In the winter months, when they moult, they stop laying for a few weeks though.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Californication  (26-09-2011),lovesushi  (12-07-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkie View Post
    Have chooks, but if I have to buy eggs, I buy free range. I think Pace Farm are the most free range of all the free range types? I heard that somewhere.

I would go without eggs rather than buy cage eggs.
    Aren't pace one the really huge one who having different brands under their umbrella and they do cage eggs as well yeh?

I wonder if there is somewhere to see who is actually free range - off to google.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We always buy free range eggs, I simply can't bring myself to buy cage eggs. For the sake of $2 to $3 extra, I would rather support those who grow & care for their chickens properly, rather than those who subject their chickens to a life of sheer purgatory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    Aren't pace one the really huge one who having different brands under their umbrella and they do cage eggs as well yeh?

I wonder if there is somewhere to see who is actually free range - off to google.
    Gah. I meant least. My brain is 25 miles behind my typing fingers! I don't trust supermarket eggs at all, as I once saw a man putting free range eggs into a cage egg container so he could pay less but get free range.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (27-09-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have our own chooks and to be honest,i do think the eggs taste different..The are also massive compared to shop bought eggs.
    But our chooks have half an acre to roam on and get feed two home made meals a day plus what they find them selfs..(which i dont think is much as they tend to just hang out alot!!)

I have a neww appreciation for chooks since having our own.I love my girls and think they make awesome pets..The kids adore them and they are always so happy to just follow you around..We had one taken by my neighbours dog 3 weeks ago and i still get teary over it...I miss my big girl!!!

Id look into free range thought if having to buy eggs.There are all these rules of what can be called free range! I went to a free range chicken place once and had to leave as i was sickened by the conditions.Some free range placswe are still in cages..I always pictured free range to be free to walk around and not stuck in a cage...Apparently i am wrong..
    The other sad thing to me is that after they have finished laying,what happens next? I dont think they would be able to live out their retirement days on a nice farm!