+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah I buy the cage eggs. I realise this will be unpopular on a forum of animal lovers but chicken welfare isn't high on my priority list.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have two chickens and they usually both lay every day
    When I need extra, I buy free range from the fruit and veg shop, they are only $4 there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I don't. Mostly because if I am buying eggs I'm pretty p!ssed that I have too because it means our chooks haven't produced enough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I do, but am worried about how free range they are.

Does anybody have info on the better free range eggs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I buy caged eggs purely because of the price difference. If they were closer in price I would spend extra on free range but as it stands I can buy 2 dozen bigger, caged for the same price as 1 dozen free range (approx).

**Coming to you live from my iPhone**

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nerdgirl99 For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I always buy free range eggs, chicken and pork/ham/bacon. I feel extremely passionate about this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have our own chooks too so don't have to buy eggs.

But just to shed some light ... my husband used to be an egg farmer and although his chooks were classed as free-range, his opinion on the whole "caged birds" vs "free range" thing is this.... chooks won't lay if they are not happy. If the caged birds weren't happy they wouldn't lay and the farmer would go out of business. People aren't chooks and don't know how chooks feel and just because THEY wouldn't want to be in a cage doesn't mean the chooks feel the same.
    Don't get me wrong... I MUCH prefer to see our chooks running around the garden, scratching and eating bugs and worms and grass but caged birds aren't as unhappy as people like to make out. You need to realise also, when someone is reporting about caged birds, they want to make it sound and look as bad as possible to get the "right" emotional response from the audience so that is what you'll see in the images.
    Free range birds aren't in cages but they aren't necessarily running around in lovely grassy paddocks like you see on TV at times either. They are running around in paddocks but the grass gets eaten out rather quickly so often they are on dirt.

Best thing is having your own chooks if you are able to, then you know EXACTLY what the set up is.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kbf2plus2 For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (12-07-2012),lovesushi  (12-07-2012),Me&MrMagoo  (12-07-2012),PuppyGuts  (27-09-2011),Stumbleine  (26-09-2011)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    yeh we try to buy freerange - although like PP said how do you knwo they really free range?

I remember hearing that all they need to do is have a door on the shed to be called free range - don't know how true that is.

We are fortunate enough that our local supermarket sells eggs from a local farm - the chickens are so free range when you drive past you enivitably have to slow down because they wonder onto the road.

I won't buy from any of the major suppliers that sell cage and free range though.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    Yeah I buy the cage eggs. I realise this will be unpopular on a forum of animal lovers but chicken welfare isn't high on my priority list.
    Have you eaten free range eggs before? I have to say, they taste so much better. Welfare aside, if it was taste alone now I have eaten free range I couldn't go back.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (27-09-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Free range all the way! The doco I watch was hideous! I nearly vomited watching it.

I would rather pay more for the welfare of these poor chooks!