Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    What an awesome outlook! One question... Doesn't it put you off eating them after you slaughtered them and plucked them?

***Sent from my phone***
    After they're killed and plucked, they look just like meat to me.

It's hard when they're house pets, compared to a wild rabbit or deer, or goat.

I do have a sook sometimes and give them a cuddle and tell them they're such a good, pretty little >insert chicken's name<

I even have this device called a chicken blinker.
    It's like a little cup of black fabric that sits over their eyes. When they can't see they just squat down and burr quietly to themselves.
    I use it so they won't panic and fight to get away, so it's as quick as possible, and also so they're nice and calm when they die.

When they're prepared for cooking it's just like any other meat; and they taste absolutely wonderful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really admire all the people who are able to raise their own animals for meat! I would love to be able to do this, however I probably wouldn't be able to eat it. I know its the right thing to do and hate the thought of where our near comes from!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't buy anything other than free-range and never have. I saw a doco about battery hens when I was in Grade 9 and it made me always buy free-range.

I would prefer to own my own chickens though, but we don't exactly eat enough eggs to warrant it. I'd rather a neighbour or family member had chickens I could buy from every so often.

I'd also love to slaughter my own animals, but not sure I have it in me. It makes more sense to me to raise your own animals for slaughter - that way you'll use as much of them as possible, you know what they're being fed, how they're being treated and how they're slaughtered.

I'm not sure I could though. I'd treat my animals too much like pets and I'd probably just end up a vegetarian... lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought 2 trays of eggs from aldi today, a free range & a caged, both 600gr. It's disappointing to see the caged eggs have bigger and more vibrant colour yolk. I don't trust that they're really "free range" but anyway I'll only buy free range eggs from now on for my peace of mind.

My grandparents had chickens and pigs in their back yard, not anymore since grandma has diebete and not coping well. They had fresh eggs, amazing quality. My grandma is an expert in killing chicken for meat, quick and precise is the key, i could never do it because i'm scared of blood. In our new year holiday the men in the family slaughter the pig.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When we buy eggs they are free range. I would love to own my own laying hens in the future when we have bought our own property so I know exactly how they have loved it for now it isn't really an option. Although I do have to say could never eat any chickens I own lol get far too attached

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it at all possible to have a couple of chooks if you also have a dog?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No I don't. Cause I have my own free range chickens that give us lots of yummy eggs and are awesome pets at the same time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cage eggs can (and usually do) have more colorful yolks as the cooks are fed dye to make the egg brighter

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (14-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peoniesarepretty View Post
    we had a rooster and a Kelpie, they got on well til she ate him and then the neighours chooks.

in her defense she was bored from not being given enough attention

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

peoniesarepretty  (14-07-2012)

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peoniesarepretty View Post
    Yes, sometimes it's no problem

I have four dogs, two of them sighthound breeds at that, and they ignore the chickens completely.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

peoniesarepretty  (14-07-2012)