+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Im on a tight budget with 4 kids, but I have but free ranged for as long as I remember, and only to support the chickens, not in cages. you ever been to a chicken farm, physically and seen what the chickens are like and how small cages are ? big enough for chicken to fit in, thats all.

Im not an animal activist or whatever, but thats just wrong and not something I am going to support, even on my ridiculously tight budget.

free ranged for sure

Thanks
    Reviews
    In Victoria If you buy eggs that are accredited free range and approved by the Free Range Farmers Federation you can be sure that they are truly free range.

It's quite easy to find out who is a "true" free range producer and who isn't..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2girls1boyplus1 View Post
    In Victoria If you buy eggs that are accredited free range and approved by the Free Range Farmers Federation you can be sure that they are truly free range.

It's quite easy to find out who is a "true" free range producer and who isn't..
    Now that would be a good system to enforce but in QLD there is nothing like that, that i've found

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I buy free range. I'm not evil. Honestly, I can't believe how many people are more concerned with saving a couple of dollars. I could never associate with someone who displayed so little empathy and care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    People also need to be aware that while they might be buying 'free range', they might also be finding a company that produces caged eggs.
    Said companies rarely produce genuinely 'free range' eggs and it's pointless buying them if you are funding caged egg producers.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zombiekitty For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always buy free range, but after reading this thread I might do some more research into a local company that might have better conditions than the supermarket ones. I did the research for milk so I suppose I should do it for eggs too! I like the idea of having my own chickens for eggs but life is crazy enough with two dogs and two cats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I try to buy them from my friend on a farm. But if they don't have any I buy free range. I used to buy the cheap home brand ones until I had a conversation with a 10 year old animal lover. Not only do I see the horrible treatment of the chooks but also her passionate face every time I purchase my eggs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is lots of information available online. Here is a start http://www.animalwelfarelabels.org.a.../products/eggs

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

Hootenanny  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, free range eggs here.

And free range meat too.

Not only do the factory farming conditions horrify me, but if we want to receive health benefits from our food, obviously it is better that we eat things that are healthy themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
    Im on a tight budget with 4 kids, but I have but free ranged for as long as I remember, and only to support the chickens, not in cages. you ever been to a chicken farm, physically and seen what the chickens are like and how small cages are ? big enough for chicken to fit in, thats all.

Im not an animal activist or whatever, but thats just wrong and not something I am going to support, even on my ridiculously tight budget.

free ranged for sure
    I live in rural n.s.w, my town is supported by farming and mining.

All our local eggs are supplied by the chicken farm 20 mins out of town, so yes i have.

the chooks live in sheds.

The differance between the free range chooks is more shed room

If you feel so passionate start lobbying the govt to ban caged eggs.

A review on the subject was suppose to be done in 2010, so far tasmania is the only state in the process of phasing out caged eggs BUT the 'free range' chickens dont have it much better

Commercial factory farming will never be like joe blow down the roads farm as the demand unless the demand drops (supply and demand) there simply isnt enough time or space for it to be that way, plus people like consistency with their food and usually free range animals dont provide the consistency of taste.
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub