+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    After reading this thread i did my shopping online and purchased Free range eggs as the price difference online was minimal. They are always quite a bit more expensive when ive looked at them in store

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I raise my own chickens and generally have a supply of fresh eggs for most of the year. At times when my birds are not laying I'll buy from the local 'free range' egg farm. I'm not all that happy with the way they house the chicken there... but it is local.

I gave my parents 2 chickens about 12 months ago. They haven't had to purchase eggs since! They always have spare eggs to give away to family and friends as well.

Chickens are such rewarding animals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    I try not to eat eggs much... Even if the chickens are free range has anyone ever thought where all the FEMALE chickens come from, and where all the males go?

I'll tell you, at 2 days of age they are sexed... Males go down one conveyor belt, females down another... Boys are gased.

So even if you buy free range, it's still an industry of death.

***Sent from my phone***
    Why don't they grow the male for meat?
    I used to buy chicken and duck eggs from a guy that have chooks, ducks and geese in his back yard. They were so good. The yorks are big and have beautiful color. Since we moved i cant buy from him anymore. I tried a free range tray from woolies and they aren't good at all.
    Maybe i should get some in the back yard. What do you feed your chicken? How do you clean their poo and where do you burry them when they die? Do you need council approval? Maybe i'll get a duck and some quails too, their eggs are very nice.

Sent from my U20i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Apparently Roosters are too aggressive and don't fatten up as well as hens plus they would try and get to the hens all the time - free range farmers kill them as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's only a matter of time before caged eggs are banned which is why the primary egg producers are putting pressure on the standards for free range production. I have three beautiful clever girls who supply me with all the eggs we will ever need. I bought free range for a long time even before I got them and I could never buy caged eggs again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's sad that ppl buy caged eggs when even home brand has free range eggs. I would love for ppl who just don't give a &@"$ about how meat and such ends up on their plate but eat it every day to have to work in them cruel places to see what it's all about. That mangled frozen chicken didn't break its back from being packaged mate, it happened before the bird was killed. Ppl whinging about the state of cruelty overseas with exported meat but don't tend to look into how it's done here and it's still quite disgusting the methods chosen here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't really understand in this day and age how you can buy caged eggs.

I worked at the RSPCA many years ago and had to go out to a battery farm and it will haunt me till the day I die. Chickens (hens) are normally just such friendly animals, they just like to scratch around, won't hurt you. They will give you their eggs, without asking for much in return. Locking them up in these tiny cages is just ********. The conditions they live in are appalling, they never see the light of day. I feel sick thinking about it. I can't understand that most people know this but still won't spend a couple of extra dollars on free range. If everyone buys free range, cage eggs will be forced out of the market. But as always, each to their own.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (14-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by broomdyke View Post
    I think it's sad that ppl buy caged eggs when even home brand has free range eggs. I would love for ppl who just don't give a &@"$ about how meat and such ends up on their plate but eat it every day to have to work in them cruel places to see what it's all about. That mangled frozen chicken didn't break its back from being packaged mate, it happened before the bird was killed. Ppl whinging about the state of cruelty overseas with exported meat but don't tend to look into how it's done here and it's still quite disgusting the methods chosen here.
    I care, i was a vegetarian from 14-19.

I just refuse to pay extra when i know 'free range' is not that.

People think factory farmed 'free range' chickens live happy lives pecking about in the dirt eating bugs like a standard garden chook, they don't. They live very similar to 'caged' chickens.

I *might* pay more if i was buying my eggs from joe blow farmer down the road whos chickens i can see happily clucking away but i refuse to buy into the 'free range' hype.

I am in the process of considering my own chickens but am at a loss as to what i will do once they pass egg laying viability

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm lucky enough that my sister has chooks so I get my eggs from her. On the odd occasion though I will buy only free range.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Organic are even better than free range

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (14-07-2012)