+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you buy free range eggs? And if not, why not?

My mum has just adopted 12 ex free range hens. 6 of them are actually mine but a pigeon decide to lay two eggs in the aviary that I was planning on re vamping into a chicken shed so I thought I'd get mum to look after mine until she's done with it. I went down there this weekend and saw them and they are just in heaven at my mum's house. She has a quite large bit of land and along one side of her property is a fully enclosed orchard/vegi patch/chook yard which has taken on a life of it's own and no amount of gardening will set it to order again. They have the whole thing to themselves and they look so very happy

It got me thinking: I was raised in a vegetarian house hold, we always bought free range and where we could, we'd buy from neighbours with a few chooks in their back yard as that's usually even better. I have never bought cage or barn laid eggs and it used to cause all sorts of fights with XDP because he just couldn't see why I felt so strongly about it. If he went shopping he would buy caged eggs and expect me to eat them, which I wouldn't. Even if he cooked me up a meal I would eat everything BUT the eggs. It drove him nuts but eventually he just gave in and bought free range from then on. Tbh I couldn't say if I feel so strongly about this because of the cruelty issue, the health issue or because it's such an ingrained thing in me that I'm doing it purely out of habit. At a guess I'd say a mix of all three reasons.

So, as the title states, Do you buy free range? And if not, why not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I do but recently discovered they are not always as "free ranged" as the box suggests. I watched the 7 PM project (nerd, I know) the other night and they had somebody from the RSPCA said they looked at a heap of so-called 'free range' brands and only found ONE to be ACTUALLY free range! And they looked at quite a lot. I was shocked.

So, from now on, I will be getting my eggs from the farmers markets. Or your mum Hahaha, I feel if I buy them from the farmers markets there will be less chance of false advertising.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

DaughteroftheForest  (26-09-2011)

DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've heard this too, which is why I wanted to get my own chooks!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DaughteroftheForest For This Useful Post:

Benji  (26-09-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I don't buy them cause I get them free mum always has a over supply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I don't at the moment but that's because I don't buy eggs all that often and I will grab a few from my mum's if I need them!

But that said, we are getting chickens soon and I will use their eggs once they begin to lay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes i buy free range eggs. I cant physically bring myself to buy caged eggs

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    Yes i buy free range eggs. I cant physically bring myself to buy caged eggs

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Bubhub
    Same. I have now educated DH to this way of thinking too as before he just bought whatever was cheapest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get free eggs from one of our workers who has chickens at her house...

When ever I can't get eggs off her, and I need some... I always try to hold off until the markets or one of the fruit/veg stalls on the side of the road frequently have them...... The last option is store bought, and even then I stand there for about 5 minutes trying to decide which "free range" ones I should buy.

I hate the idea of cute little chickens in cages.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My grandma has chickens so they provide eggs for dp and I and most of my extended family. I wouldn't buy caged eggs or eat them though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do.

I'd prefer my own chickens, but DP says no. Our landlords (ILs) would no doubt say no as well anyway. They think I'm a greeny weirdo hippy and don't care about free range.

I saw a vid in year 9 about battery hens... and have never purchased caged eggs as a result.