+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Baby surname - and yours...

What surname have you or are you going to give your baby? Yours, your partners? Both?

I think I want the kids to have DPs surname as it's nicer (IMO) than mine, but I want to have the same as them! If we hyphenated it'd be too long, but would it be weird if hyphenated my surname to include hers?

Then she and the kids would just be A--------- but I'd have the A surname as well as my own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a long name mum included her last name and dads plus hyphenated my first two names it goes something like this excuse the blank outs dont want it splattered all over lol ...... U***-L** H****-H***** The only issue i have with it is that when they want you to write your name on a form the line is never long enough. Its not weird just unsual

Thanks
    Reviews
    We gave our DD my partners surname. I plan (and just haven't got round to) changing my surname by d poll. My partner and I had a Civil Union ceremony at the British Consulate in Sydney 4 years ago and I have been meaning to change my surname ever since. I really want all if us to have the same family name especially with bubba #2 coming in March. Hope that's helpful xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally I think you should give the children both names, but you can simply choose to use one name for most things (school, centrelink, medicare, etc).

If the unexpected ever happens and you break up, you'll not be left feeling left out because the children only have your [then former] partners name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thank you for your comments!

DP and I aren't really keen to get married (heaps of reasons why, even though I'm a Brit and she's a Swede so we can legally do so in either country/consulate), does it seem weird to want to take her surname anyway?

I would love to have it, it's the Swedish variant of a fairly common surname and I think it's lovely. I know I can change it by deed poll anyway, but I wonder if her family would find it odd?

They love me, so I doubt it...but I do want us all to have the same last name, even if it's just a little part the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Other thing is, our favourite names sound terrible with my surname

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, our little people will have both our names. We will hyphenate my DP's surname then mine. We have decided to do this as our first names are very similar (infect they are pronounced the same, but spelt differently), so for everyone to have the same name would be way too confusing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You could always create your own surname.

Friends of my mother's are a gay couple, and after their civil ceremony, they changed their name (I think it's a combo of both surnames... so for Brown and Jones it might have been Brones or something... that's not what it was though). Any kids they have together will get that same surname.

I think that's a really sweet idea tbh... and I'd do it even as a straight person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have hyphenate our surname by deed poll, much easier in our veiw.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey there,

We have a little blue bundle arriving in Feb next year and both my partner and I have the same last name (she took my surname and changed her name by Deed before we started TTC). So when the little guy comes along we will all have the same surname.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alwaysinthekitchen For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (12-10-2011)