+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is this normal during IVF cycle? Worried Husband

Hi,
    I have been doing a lot of investigation but still am unsure.
    My wife has PCOS and in the past has had lots of pain around her ovulation time.
    We are Day 4 after transfer (Was on Monday) and was a 5 day blastocyst embryo.
    Last night my wife had some quite severe cramping for about 2 hours and it was like a mild PCOS attack, she explained almost as a tightening around her pubic line and the pain was also in her back.
    I have read that there can sometimes be implantation cramps around this time but with my wife it is hard to tell. I am slightly hopeful as this time (As opposed to every other polysystic attack she gets) she has no residual pain this morning and feels fine.
    Both the scientist and the Doctor on transfer day referred to the embryos (We had 3 make it to Day 5) as perfect and they seemed to stress how good they were, which surprised us as I would have thought they would not try and get peoples hopes up.
    We are both realistic and understand that the likelihood of it working first time is not high but would like some advice from ladies who have gone through this and whether what my wife went through last night could have been implantation or is it just wishful thinking.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this long winded post and I hope it is in the right area (And not been asked 100000 times already)
    Matt
    Last edited by Mattycee; 22-09-2011 at 07:32. Reason: Spelling & Formatting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Matt,

Good luck to you and your wife, I hope you get your BFP really soon. I think how you feel after transfers is very individual. For me personally - I have had six transfers - I had pretty bad cramping after each - worse later in the day and at night - and 5 out of the six were BFN. While it could be implantation, it may also be because you've just had a speculum, tube, air etc inserted. It can also be becuase of the drugs. Again, best of luck the TWW is awful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverSong View Post
    Hi Matt,

For me personally - I have had six transfers - I had pretty bad cramping after each - worse later in the day and at night - and 5 out of the six were BFN. :
    Can I ask what time frame the cramping was (As in after et) Did you get continual cramping or was it a one off, as my wife has had no other cramps at all, and feels 100% again today. Hers hit about 11:30pm last night and was gone by 1:30am this morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine were a bit all over the place. Wishing you all the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Matt

I too have PCO so I know what it's like. What type of cramping was it and how long did it last? I had cramping after my ET as I had a bleed into my ovary from the EPU. Cramping can be from lots of different things. Is she on progesterone support? It's really hard to say what it's from but I wish you the best of luck we have IVF work first time for us so FX!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've had 4 blastocyst transfers, the first 3 were BFN and the 4th was a BFP that later turned out to be a chemical pregnancy (v. early miscarriage). It was only with the 4th cycle that I felt the types of cramps you are describing, they were so intense and literally took my breath away. I had the first lot of cramps when I came home after ET, and then other times were on & off up until 6 days past transfer, mostly at night. They did not continue in the 2nd half of my TWW.

That is also the only cycle where I was given pregnyl (pregnancy hormone HCG) as luteal phase support. So its hard to say if the cramps in my case were caused by the implantation or the HCG injections.

I'll be having a frozen transfer in a few weeks time and if I get those cramps again, I'll most certainly consider them a good sign . Good luck for the rest of your TWW

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zultbear View Post
    Hi Matt

I too have PCO so I know what it's like. What type of cramping was it and how long did it last? I had cramping after my ET as I had a bleed into my ovary from the EPU. Cramping can be from lots of different things. Is she on progesterone support? It's really hard to say what it's from but I wish you the best of luck we have IVF work first time for us so FX!
    It was similar to what she would get during ovulation or her period. She has only had it once and today it seems like a tightening in her stomach.

She had no pain or cramping at all after the ET and only last night did she feel the pain, which was not as intense as it usually is.

She has had no bleeding and is generally the same as she was before the cramps. The tightening she is feeling is a new sensation as not at all like what she has felt before so fingers crossed it is all good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi,
    Sometimes if progesterone levels are very high it can cause really bad cramping. Did your wife have a pregnyl injection the day or day before she had the cramps? If it happens again it is probably worth ringing your clinic.

Good luck with this cycle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou78 View Post
    I've had 4 blastocyst transfers, the first 3 were BFN and the 4th was a BFP that later turned out to be a chemical pregnancy (v. early miscarriage). It was only with the 4th cycle that I felt the types of cramps you are describing, they were so intense and literally took my breath away. I had the first lot of cramps when I came home after ET, and then other times were on & off up until 6 days past transfer, mostly at night. They did not continue in the 2nd half of my TWW.

That is also the only cycle where I was given pregnyl (pregnancy hormone HCG) as luteal phase support. So its hard to say if the cramps in my case were caused by the implantation or the HCG injections.

I'll be having a frozen transfer in a few weeks time and if I get those cramps again, I'll most certainly consider them a good sign . Good luck for the rest of your TWW
    The cramping is similar to what she gets with the PCOS but not as intense, she described it as like the very beginning of an attack that never went past the initial stages.
    She is only on Crinone gel twice daily (Morning and night) and nothing else. She started took the Crinone gel 2 days after harvesting on Friday 16/09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good Luck!