+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Exclamation Natural vs Cesarean

Help!

Am nearing my 38th birthday and am pregnant with my first child. My husband and I are so excited but today my doctor has confused us.

All along my preference has been to have a natural birth unless during labour its decided that it would be safer for the child and I to switch to cesarean.

Today, at my 32 week appointment, my dr said because of my age is recommended I have a cesarean. I have not health issues and my baby is growing fine. So nothing to indicate that cesarean is a must have or else.

And sure enough all my research online tonight has given me facts like "50% more cesareans if over the age of 35" and "75% of cesarean births if you have private health insurance" but nothing to say why it would be better if you are over 35.

Any advice? Anyone else receive the "its highly recommend you have cesarean because of your age" and given reasons by their dr as to why this is the best option. Cause right now I am a tad stressed and fell like am being forced to choose an option I don't want without any value medical reason.

Help!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I am not your age I would like to support you.

From my understanding you do not need to have a caesarean because of age. I am horrified that this has been suggested to a perfectly healthy person.

A caesarean is major surgery. Our bodies are built for natural child birth it is as simple as that.

Your doctor should be your support for any wishes you have and only a backup if your wishes aren't going to plan exactly. My OB was.

I would highly recommend you do your research to enable you to know what you want clearly and be assertive of it.

I would put together a full birthplan and communicate this with your doctor.

If he is still going to be less than positive on assisting you then you either need a new one or may need additional support like doula.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrsMorrisseyBrisbane For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (20-09-2011),Doritos  (20-09-2011),lupa  (16-05-2012),radicaldoula  (15-05-2012),ryderashleysmum  (20-09-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thank you for your comments.

I would like to stick to the plan of having this baby naturally unless I was presented with decent logical reasons why it wouldn't be good for my baby. And "it would be stressful to the baby to have it naturally at your age" doesn't make sense to me.

I wonder if others have had their dr highly recommend csection because of age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That sounds crazy to me! I'd definitely do some more research and I'd be seriously concerned about your doctor if he can't come up with a better reason for a C-section than your age. I have lots of friends who have had gorgeous natural births with first babies when they're over 35 and I've never heard of someone having a C-section because of their age alone. Best of luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

Doritos  (20-09-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Put simply, it's easier for the doctor

He can schedule a date and control the whole thing.

If there are no underlying medical factors for yourself or your bubba, then you do not need a c/section based on age.

JMO

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DQ For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (20-09-2011),Doritos  (20-09-2011),elleandsam  (20-09-2011),ryderashleysmum  (20-09-2011)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    thats just silly. you most definitely do not need to have one because of your age, my very good friend was a little older than u when she had first bubby, and she had her son naturally with no problems what so ever.

i wouldnt reccommend unnecessary surgery, the recovery is difficult.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Doritos  (20-09-2011)

Guest Guest
    I think you need to speak to your doctor and ask more questions. On what facts has he based his opinion on, what is HIS cesaerian rate, when will he perform a c/s (under what circumstances) how does he support natural delivery. All questions that should be standard during first apointments to scope if he/she is the right person to do the job and to help you have the delivery your're after.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Doritos  (20-09-2011),radicaldoula  (15-05-2012),wrena  (20-09-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agree with pp, that sounds crazy. Some obs just prefer a csec i guess. If there is no medical reason then just say no, he cant force you to have one.
    Im lucky my ob supports natural deliveries, so they are out there.
    I would just stick to the line that you are not having a csec without a medical reason and leave it at that. Age is not a reason in my opinion

14. The Following User Says Thank You to garfield13 For This Useful Post:

Doritos  (20-09-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was three days off turning 35 when I had my son earlier this year. My OB and I discussed CS but only due to my first son's birth being complicated. He never mentioned anything to do with my age. I gave birth naturally with no troubles at all.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Babymay For This Useful Post:

Doritos  (20-09-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with everyone else! They cannot force you to have a c/s just because of your age....thats just plain ridiculous!!!

If there were valid medical reasons for you to have a c/s AND thats what you wanted then have a c/s. But as you are wanting to have a natural birth then that is what your OB should support.

I assume that you are classed as low risk? Most first timers are so again you should be trying of the vaginal birth.

Just because you are 35 doesnt make it any more difficult to have a baby then if you were 25.

Honestly some OBs!

You need to make it clear to your OB that you want to have a natural birth. Full Stop. Definately write up a birth plan that outlines how you would like this to go - like epidural wanted, no pethadine, labour at home as long as possible, water birth, etc, etc.

I would also suggest ringing your hospy and speaking to the mid wives there and say that you are keen for a vaginal birth and just talk to them about it. When you go into labour you have to ring the mid wives first anyway and go to hospy as they will be doing the major part of the birth process as well. Maybe even causally say that your OB is trying to "encourge" you to have a c/s and they might be able to give you some info about the OBs...as they know all the good goss

I am 32 weeks as well (and 39 years old) and my OBs is more then happy for me to try for a vaginal birth after 2 c/s. So the supportive ones are out there....sometime can just be hard to find!

So stick to you guns and say "no I would like to try to a vaginal birth thanks".He cant get sh*tty with you...you are paying him good money for a service. Besides, he isnt the one having a baby....YOU are!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

Doritos  (20-09-2011)