+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default New help choosing a private health insurance provider

That's right. Your only covered if your date of service is after the 12 months is served. Ideally don't ttc until you have had cover at least 4-5 months if you want to go private, jic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

The hospital that we will go with (once we do start TTC and then get a sticky) can delivery babies from 32 weeks so we have calculated in from the 31 week mark ( as any earlier we are forced into public anyway)
    In the mean time we are taking full advantage of our extras

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I have heard of PHI covering if the due date is 12 months from start date, even if bub arrives early- as long as you have a certificate. But you would obviously need to check this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Some can give you in writing that they'll cover early. It's often not more than 2weeks leeway though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies.

I went through this myself just last week. We are currently TTC but as I have 6 week cycles I figured 3 months of that 12 month wait is really only 2 cycles for me!

I was with AHM (they wanted $295 to upgrade us to preg services) and I said no. I went with Bupa which gave me preg services with a $500 excess for $247 per month. This includes my husbands 2% loading due to this age.

I am with SunSuper so Bupa also then gives you a corporate rate which makes the extras benefits higher (so $220 optical instead of $180, $700 gen dental instead of $500 etc) so it worked out perfectly for us.

If I happen to get preg in the next 3 months and obviously wont make it to the 12 month wait I will then just drop my cover back to normal and go public. I really only want to go private for the private room, bed etc. Honestly, I wouldnt say no to a child if i was lucky to get preg and have to go public. Id rather the baby anyday!

So far Ive looked at our budget. Will cost us a further $600 in 12 months of premiums to pay the preg services (we were paying $200 anyway). $500 excess at birth. The Ob ive picked (Shes already my gynae) is $1900 booking fee at 20 weeks and ive also looked into her appointment prices etc. So thats $3000 out of pocket already and im looking at a further $1000 saved for the extras on scans, bloods etc.

Fingers crossed

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got my insurance from GMF health fund, they are based in WA. i live in Melbourne and they cover all major hospitals that i would be looking here at eg. frances perry house. they have a 12 month wait but said as long as you have a letter from the doctor stating that your official due date is after the 12 months wait you are still covered if you go early. she said even if you went a month early you would be covered. mine was $118/month for mid hospital and mid extras which includes pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I would seriously look at QLD country health insurance. They are members owned so more money back in your pocket when you claim. No excess for kids under 5. So if bubs ends up in special care for some reason (ours did as a precaution nothing more) it won't cost you anything.

We were with mbf and got next to nothing for what we paid.

Not sure of their waiting periods etc but seriously worth giving them a call. You get instant answering when you do and they are all so nice and lovely and easy to understand and very helpfull.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: New help choosing a private health insurance provider

Yep. QLD country are pretty awesome. Wait period will still be the same though

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub