+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone been to the Ellen Barron sleep clinic, brisbanr

Hi everyone ,

I've been offered a spot at the ellen Barron sleep school for my 7 mth old twins, one of whom seems to b alittle allergic to sleep! I'm in 2 minds about the clinic, mainly around the use of responsive settling.... The effectiveness, whether I have the stamina to b consistent when we get home, & if it really is just controlled crying, just re-labelled????

I've been co-sleeping alot lately because it works & it's easy, but not sure if this is what I want to do long-term (don't really have a problem with it now).

Would love to hear from others who have been, what was ur experience, did it work, how much change occurred in ur LOs sleep within the week????

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!

I personally have not been but I did look into it. I asked lots of questions on many forums and spoke to a few ladies who had been. I decided against going because I was really uncomfortable about the control crying method (which is what they do). A few ladies said that it helped and that they are coping a lot better now however many said that it was extremely stressful and they did not cope with it. I have also been told that long term it did not help. Obviously having twins would be very different and maybe it is what you need if you are finding it difficult to cope. I think that if co-sleeping is working then go with it. As the bubs get older they will settle more and I am sure you won't be co-sleeping for a long time. Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we went when DD was around 5.5 months - she'd never slept for more that 40 minutes at a time around the clock and DH & I were at absolute breaking point physically and emotionally. She took hours at a time to resettle and was only sleeping for a total of 8 or so hours a day. We felt we had exhausted all other avenues (we had tried everything from co-sleeping, rocking/patting/feeding to sleep, car trips, various brauers lotions and potions, massage, chiro, elimination diets (for me for the breastmilk) etc etc) with no success.

For us it worked wonders. TBH - Yes there was some crying involved. I never let her cry for more than a few minutes and would always go in an resettle her if she sounded really distressed. They helped us get rid of the wrap and dummy which I think were really contributing to her poor sleep - and I would not have had the confidence to do this on my own at home.

If co-sleeping is working for you at the moment, would you consider waiting and getting another referral in the future if you think you still need it?

HTH - PM me if you want to know more about our experience. One tip - if you DO go - bring your own pillow - their SUCK!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I went when lo was 4 months old. So the control crying wasn't an issue in one so young. It was truly life changing for all of us and I cannot recommend it more. The staff were so nice, helpful and caring and they were truly the first people to listen to me.
    Ultimately they are your children and no one can stand over you and force you to do control crying. Honestly what have you got to lose? It doesn't cost anything.
    If you have the time, I would go. If you change one thing that makes your life easier surely it's worth it???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm still in 2 minds, so I think I will hold off for a while.....when in doubt, don't.

Thanks again!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shirleysmum For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (21-09-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    Has anyone been to Ellen Barron Centre lately I am going on Monday and would appreciate any thoughts on how anyone went there and what proceedures they use.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tassiegirl63 View Post
    Hi
    Has anyone been to Ellen Barron Centre lately I am going on Monday and would appreciate any thoughts on how anyone went there and what proceedures they use.
    Thanks

Hi, I am wanting to try the Ellen Barron sleep clinic for my daughter. How did your appointment go, did you find it useful. Did it cost any or much money.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

Default EllenBarron Clinic

Quote Originally Posted by janac View Post
    Hi, I am wanting to try the Ellen Barron sleep clinic for my daughter. How did your appointment go, did you find it useful. Did it cost any or much money.

Thanks
    Hi I highly recommend that anyone go to the Ellen Barron Clinic if they can get a referral and get accepted to the Clinic. The best way to get a referral is through your Child Health Nurse. The Clinic is just fantastic, very professional understanding staff who will listen to your concerns and will not push you to do anything you dont want to. They also are available to assist you whenever you need it. They have classes during the day about sleep, feeding, etc which are very helpful and at night at 8 oclock have a relaxation session for anyone wanting to go. The Clinic is a free service and did not cost me anything to go my husband also stayed the four nights with me at the Clinic.

My baby was only 8 weeks old when I went to the Clinic, she was up for 10 - 12 hours every day and most nights couldnt get her to sleep until 2.30 am in the morning. At the clinic they took away all her sleep associations which were most of the problem, dummy, rocking, co-sleeping, sleeping in bouncer, falling asleep at the breast and always taught me to pick up her very subtle tired signs.

They do not use controlled crying on babies under 6 months so the routine for babies under this age it is called comfort settling or you can start at settling in arms. The whole idea is that the baby is put to bed in their cot and only their cot so they get used to the idea that the cot is where they sleep. You feed them, change their nappy give them some play time and then some wind down quiet time and by hour and half at that age (8 weeks) anyway they should be giving you some tired signs, so you put them in the cot awake and wrap them and settle them in the cot by shooshing and patting the mattress, if they get distressed you pick them up until they are calm and then put them back in cot and repeat this process until they are asleep.

Believe me I didnt think this would work but I was amazed on the first day it took about 1/ 1/2 hours to get her to sleep but from then on she slept for three hour naps during the day and down for the night at 6 pm waking for a feed once during the night. My problem was that she was also snacking at the breast so I was shown how to stop her snacking and now she has both sides and fully drains both breasts and is feeding every three to four hours.

I stayed at the Clinic for four nights and when I got home on the Friday had a bad day and night with her on the Friday and Saturday but stuck it out and by the Monday she realised that her cot is where she sleeps etc. She is now 15 weeks old and she actually gets herself off the sleep most days and is in bed for the night by about 7 pm and waking for one feed overnight. She will now only sleep in the cot and knows that the bouncer is for play time with her hanging toys. The clinic was an absolute lifesaver for me and would recommend anyone to go there regardless of what age your baby is as they had children up to 2 years of age there.

My advice to anyone who has been and then finds it doesnt work at home which a lot of people have told me is you have to stick it out and keep up the routine and understand that sometimes you will still have bad days with their sleeping and feeding and not to give in and put them back in your bed or give them too many sleep associations.

Good luck and hope this helps other mums who are having sleep issues like I had.
    Last edited by tassiegirl63; 20-04-2014 at 11:41.