+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Port Hedland Mummies?

Hi ladies,
    Was wondering if there is anyone from PH out in bubhub land? I'm after some info

DH quite possibly has scored work up there, with a relocation package, so if we decide to do it, we will be packing our life up and moving!!

It's scarey and exciting at the same time!

I'd like as much honest info I can get.

Is it a good town to raise children in?

What suburbs/area's do you suggest to live in or stay away from?

What schools do you recommend? We have one DS in year 1 and the other in 4yo kindy, they are currently at a catholic school and I would like to keep them in that schooling environment.

Any other info anyone can offer me would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

We've been in Hedland for over 5 years.

Firstly, it's pretty important that your hubby's work comes complete with housing - rent is around $1500 pw (for a dodgy house in a dodgy area) up to $2000 pw+. Houses are easily in excess of $800,000.

There are two main 'sections' to the town - Port Hedland which is near the coast and South Hedland which is about 15km inland - the Port Hedland area (near the coast) is far nicer, particularly the Cooke Point and Pretty Pool areas.

There is a Catholic school in Port Hedland called St Cecilia's. My two are 1yo and 3yo, so we don't know a huge amount about the schools. There is only one high school (a public one) which has a bit of a rough reputation, so a lot of people skip town once their kids reach high school age.

You said you wanted honest info, right?? Crime rates are pretty high, and the summers are stinking hot and humid. Shopping is pretty limited. We're only planning to stick around for a couple more years.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Will come back and reply when DS is asleep, lived in Hedland for 3 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I agree with Laurensmummy about pretty much everything!

Really try to make sure you get into Port rather than South Hedland if you have kids, much better school situation. Port Hedland primary school is good as well as the catholic primary school. I heard that the catholic school was extending to year 10 though? I have also heard bad things about the high school in South.

The negatives - it is a hot town and not the most attractive place around! Everything gets covered with red dust from the port. Crime rates in some areas as mentioned. Not the greatest hospital I've ever seen!

Positives - we really had a great time in Hedland. There were lots of young working families in town and it's one of the friendliest places I've lived in. If you get involved and make the most of it you can make some great friends, we have life long friends from Hedland. Loads of sports on offer. Great fishing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks ladies
    I think we have made our decision to take the offer, just waiting to hear for sure if the job is Definatly his or not.

Seems like a good deal, relocation, the house is thru the company with no rent, bills substisised, DH will get a company car and apparently there are 2, 4x2's available in port

Are there any nice beaches in port? All the pictures I have seen looks like it's all ships and industrial. Will there be anywhere in town that's nice and we can take the kids down for a swim/play without driving out of town?

And shops....I know there isn't much there, but there is a centre in both port and south right? Do they both have a woolies or Coles?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately there aren't really any nice beaches. Mainly tidal creeks, all the port area and shipping like you said. There is an inland pool type area - pretty pool - that people swim at, but I was always too nervous, I'd heard stories of the odd croc sighting!

There is an aquatic centre in port and south though.

Yes, shopping centre in both parts, each with a grocery store. South is bigger and had a Coles and kmart when I was there.
    Last edited by ArthurDent; 13-10-2011 at 15:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! I am also possibly coming to Hedland! Hubby is working up there for the next 2 years so we thought why not make the most of it.

One thing that does concern me is day care. I will be doing shift work, my daughter is 3 and half so I need to know what the facilities are like for her. I have also been told that I may be able to get an Au pair?? Anyone offer me some info on that?

Cheers

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Daycare is tough. The centre we use is great, but waiting lists are long and it isn't cheap.

Get your name down quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default re relocation to port hedland

hi I noticed this post is older but was wondering if you took the relocation package and if so how is it going as this sounds like us at present?looking for some feedback regarding schools up there? thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MummyHas3boys View Post
    Hi ladies,
    Was wondering if there is anyone from PH out in bubhub land? I'm after some info

DH quite possibly has scored work up there, with a relocation package, so if we decide to do it, we will be packing our life up and moving!!

It's scarey and exciting at the same time!

I'd like as much honest info I can get.

Is it a good town to raise children in?

What suburbs/area's do you suggest to live in or stay away from?

What schools do you recommend? We have one DS in year 1 and the other in 4yo kindy, they are currently at a catholic school and I would like to keep them in that schooling environment.

Any other info anyone can offer me would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mum with two sonz,
    have you moved to hedland yet?
    im living in south hedland been here for 1 year and a half... Hubby is working with bhp. We got the relocation package & everything is all good here. Dont know the info of schools as my two is in day care.
    let me know if you did end up relocating and we can meet etc.
    cheers