+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Family Day Care vs Child Care Center

I will be returning to work 3-4 days per week next year and will be putting DS1 into care. Until now I have always thought I would put him in Family Day care and have had my name down with a couple of services for a while. He will be 13 months when I go back to work. I was also thinking that for the year before he starts school I would look at putting him into a Child Care Centre that runs a pre-school type program.

Now I am questioning myself as to if this is the best option.

I like the idea of Family Day Care as he will have one carer that he can hopefully bond with, less children around to overwhelm him and being in a home environment. However I am concerned about if the carer takes the children out during the day ie potential for a car accident or other misadventure.

Does anyone have any experiences they can share on the positives and negatives of both a larger centre and Family Day Care?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think there are benefits to both. I love the idea of fdc, getting to bond with one carer, less children and as they get older its a much smaller ratio. (1:4 in qld total which means for over 2 year olds that's a much smaller carer:child ratio)

However I put my son into daycare because I feel he's very energetic and needed I guess a larger space and he is fine with bigger groups of children, I wasn't concerned with how he'd be in a childcare setting at 2.5.

I think really good idea to look into both. See how they feel. Meet the carers etc and make a decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It definitely depends on your child, I find family day care great for little babies, shy children and special needs children as they get lots more one on one time with a career, they also need less room and their routine can be kept by the career. It's also great if you can find a career who is supportive and who will work with you, so you can have someone who will do things the way you want, not just the way it needs to be done to fit the needs of the other children too.
    However if you have an adventurous, energetic, individualistic or social child, childcare is great as it promotes these already wonderful qualities. It gives kids a mixture of structure and freedom, they usually have great facilities, lots of toys and outdoor areas as well as activities for the children.
    I was tossing and turning between the two too, but found a great childcare center, see what the quality of both in your area is and go from there.
    There really is no wrong or right answer, just what is best for your child and only you know that! Good luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd 18 months is in both fdc and ldc. You need to be careful with fdc as sometimes the kids get a bit lost. In Nsw it's 5 kids per carer which is less then ldc. At dd ldc there are 4 kids to 1 carer.

The upside is they will follow your rules more then ldc.

Dd goes well in both, but the hours a better with the ldc and it's cheaper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I will talk to the FDC providers again but have also decided to check out some of the centres around here just to get a feel for what they offer.