+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

Anti depressants work by altering chemical in your brain so there are going to be side effects. The first few days to a few weeks are the worst, then your body will get used to them.

Sometimes if you have a bad reaction to it the doctor wil lower the dose. Call the doctor and try to get an appointment or leave amessage and get them to call back with instructions.

Not every anti depressant will work for every body, i used them when i was a teen and it took a long time and about 7 different ones to find one that worked, That was an extreme case, most people only need one or two to find a good fit.

The important thing is that you look after your self, if you are scared about the side effects you can call the GP and speak to a sister or even the chemist to speak to the pharmacist. They will be able to tell you what is normal and what you can do.

You should not stop using them unless the doctor says it is alright, it can be worse than the side effects and sometimes dangerous beceause of the way they affect the brain.

When i was on them the made me a zombie, i couldnt speak properly and couldnt open doors as i could not grab the handle. But when i found the right anti depressant i felt quite wiped out and a little zombieish for a bout a week then every thing just clicked and i settled in to it.

Dont listem to the negative people, if you need them pills you need them. They will help settle you down enouht to function and work through anything adding to the depression. Counselling will help you in conjunction with the anti depresants.

Hope you feel better soon, my thoughts are with you.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lonni For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (17-01-2012),SugarSkull  (17-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kb90 View Post
    im very serious about depression, and i want to help anyone who needs the help, but I think if it can be done after a few years that its worth a shot first. My SIL was diagnosed at 17 ffs! but end of the day the issue was a boy had messed her around, the Dr didnt even bother looking into it and threw her onto the tablets straight away
    Some, and im not saying all, dont know how to deal with their depressive states and just keep thinking in their head im sad, not many do try and think the opposite way around. all im saying. if you do have issues deeper than just being sad then yes I agree on tablets but also with someone who you can talk to, no point going on them and living life as is, because end of the day the problems will still be there
    Just read the other posts and had to comment.

I was diagnosed at 16. I was on them for 5 years through some very dificult times.

I would not be here without the pills. They gave me a chance to work through my problems with the crazy emotions. That is what they are for, To give you emotional relief, help you get perspective and work through the problems.

No it was not beceause of a boy, no it was not cause i felt left out or any other emo/normal teen things.

I learnt very valuable coming mechanisms during that time.

Also not every depressed person has a deeper emotional reason. I have been told by a doctoer that most post natal depression is hormonal or brain chemistry. Some depression is a brain chemostry thing too and cant be avoided or fixed with mind over matter.

Every single person is different, broad and sweeping comments do more damage than good and should be avoided. Or contain the words in my opinion.

In my opinion if brain power was all that was needed to turn your self around then you did nit need them in the first place.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lonni For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (17-01-2012),Rutabaga  (17-01-2012),SugarSkull  (17-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've been on Zoloft for 2 years now. No side effects. Definitely helped me get through PND. Hoping to wean off gradually under dr's supervision soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Generally doctor prescribe Cymbalta to a patient of depression. Although it is a effective salt in depression. I have seen some positive result of Cymbalta. But in some cases like yours it is allergic to the patient and ineffectual to patient. So in that cases Citalopram is a good medicine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been on and off anti depressants for 5 years now, i have repressed depression. I have trialed a fair few and it took me about 3 different tablets to find the ones that suited me. I now take Zoloft and get no side effects at all. Speaking with a good GP is your best option. Also doctors can give you 2 weeks samples.