+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Giving birth in Tamworth

Who has birthed in Tamworth at either the public hospital or Tamara (private)?

We have just moved to Tamworth and are ttc #3 and want to see what other peoples experiences were at either hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello!!! I had both my girls at tamworth base the first time in 2003 labour and treatment fine but once in ward felt a little forgotten about but had dd2 in 2009 and i could not fault them they were fabulous my dd2 was very ill when she was born so obviously i was distressed but the midwifes and drs were brilliant:-) i am 35 weeks pregnant with baby 3 and have no fears at all about birthing at the public hospital up until recently you birthed at base and were transferred to tamara if that was your preferred choice as a private patient but i believe now you birth at tamara and stay there. i think you will hear stories about the base but that's because lots of people have babies there so not everyone will have the same birthing and care experience from what i hear tamara is great too

Sent from my GT540 using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank You for the reply
    Good luck with with the remainder of your pregnancy
    We aren't pregnant yet but want to explore our options.
    We don't have phi so thought Tamara would be out of the question unless we want to pay a lot of $$$.
    This might sound silly but it's a option we have thought about if Tamara is the better hospital
    We had DD and DS at John Hunter. I went in as a public patient. Found them fantastic (except the lady across from me whinged and whined all the time but you get that i suppose)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah its quite expensive to stay at tamara you pretty much pay for the food and the fact your partner can stay with you.. if you go through tamara you see the ob for your antenatal appointments which you pay extra for otherwise through the midwife clinics if your a public patients that said if in labour you need ob he will come as he works both hospitals

Sent from my GT540 using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Went through midwives with both DD and DS. Found them excellent throughout my visits and the births.

DH couldn't stay with me at JH. Midwife took me from the labour and delivery ward to recovery. Had DS at 8.39pm and It was about 3 or 4 am they made him go home!! And we didn't live local.
    Advantage with birthing in Tamworth, we live there now. And we are about 5-10 minutes away from both hospitals.
    Good there's the two options (public and private) to choose from

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tamara was brilliant! I could not fault a single thing! And dr hollebone is great too. I've also heard that dr apen is great (you can use him at either hospital). Tamara is simply a 'nicer' hospital with ensuites and yummy yummy food. But the midwives really are great they all give 110% to their jobs.
    DH can stay at the hospital with you too, you just pay for his meals (about $100 for the whole week). It was our 1st bub so we stayed 6 nights and 3 of those nights DD ended up in the nursery so we could get some sleep.
    As for the delivery... The midwives really do everything they can to help you out.
    We are going back when we decide to have bub #2 that's how good they are! The money is totally worth it! (but we do have phi).

Thanks
    Reviews
    there were 1 or 2 midwives that i didnt like but you get that anywhere i guess. they were great in the nursery. i ended up being there for 8 days (2 nights before being induced then 6 days as milk didnt come in until day 5 and DS needed nasogastric tube top ups). at times it would take ages for someone to come when i buzzed which sucked as i needed help bf, so by the time they came it was a bit pointless. but you get that with public hospitals and lack of staff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hac12549 View Post
    there were 1 or 2 midwives that i didnt like but you get that anywhere i guess. they were great in the nursery. i ended up being there for 8 days (2 nights before being induced then 6 days as milk didnt come in until day 5 and DS needed nasogastric tube top ups). at times it would take ages for someone to come when i buzzed which sucked as i needed help bf, so by the time they came it was a bit pointless. but you get that with public hospitals and lack of staff.
    So this was the base?

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a midwife at JH who was horrible. Well, she was just mean. She was an older lady. I found the older midwives were on the night shift really grumpy.

Enquired about birthing at Tamara. Think Tamworth Base will be the way to go if we don't take out PHI. They want a $5000 deposit 2 months prior to admission then other costs for accommodation and labour ward. I knew it would be costly but damn.
    At least it's given us an idea of the costs without PHI.