+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What washing powder to use that is baby safe and kills germs?

I am using cloth nappies (mixture of traditional and MCN) and washing them with my cheap Radiant-brand power for my front loader. After washing, I could still smell stale urine even though I have put like a full scope of power for a couple of nappies.

Can someone recommend washing powder to use that is baby safe and smell nice?

I washe the dry pailed poo filled nappies with the other ones and have not used any anti bacterial stuff in the washing to kill the germs, is that ok? Do I need to?
    If so, what is good?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I used that Dynamo Gel, where you fill up the lid and put it in the wash. Also the Woolworths brand laundry liquid (think it was called "Ultra" or something) had a really good smell to it that got rid of the worst pee smells.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use canesten (sp) anti bacterial rinse. You put it in the fabric softner section of the machine. This stopped any smells that I had developing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Soap nuts... And rockin green to soak once a month

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had that problem when I was dry pailing. I moved to wet pailing and no more problems. I use Purity sensitive baby liquid. Never had to use anything stronger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't use MCN's but I have a baby and a son with very sensitive skin. I use Purity liquid detergent and a cap full of Cannestin in every wash. My boys have been fine with it, no reactions.
    Last shopping day there was no cannestin so I bought the Dettol laundry rinse and again, no eczema flare ups or reactions
    They both kill 99.9% of germs and bacteria

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum22 View Post
    Soap nuts... And rockin green to soak once a month
    Must admit soapnuts have been the only thing that have ever completely cleared my DS' nappies of the ammonia smell, they're great.

Then stick them in the sun to kill the germs

Thanks
    Reviews
    What are soap nuts and Rockin green?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rockin green is a laundry powder specially formulated for washing nappies (but fine for clothes too), I buy online, can't remember from who at present.

Soap nuts are these nuts that are a natural soap that you can wash just about anything in including clothes and nappies, I got mine from a health food shop, but you can buy online too. HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried using a little less detergent?? A full scoop of powder is waaaay too much for washing MCN's.... most sites recommend a 1/4 - 1/2 scoop for a full load.

There is probably a build up of powder in your nappies, a strip wash would really help with the smell. And I can recommend rockin' green as well.

The sun is a natural anti-bacterial agent, so when I can't dry them in the sun I'll use the Canasten wash as mentioned above...

HTH