+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ok....it's legal to charge

It's understandable that pharmacists can ask for a donation, most keep it for their business, so it's really a charge for service, not a donation. Most I've been charged is $2 by some pharmacists, regardless of page numbers.....though most pharmacists certify for free...they keep stamps,,,,quick and snappy!!! Just sign on bottom...

post officers say they charge u for service and rip you off! $4 per page -max I've been charged..

police officers usually don't charge....

but what do you do when you move to a new suburb, and when you've missed the JP, not a single pharmacist in the whole suburb agrees to certify only 5 pages, and police officers ask you to wait a few days for JP to return, and council people also refuse!?!

now...

is That legal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a pharmacist & was always under the impression it was "unethical" to charge to certify documents. TBH it's a pain in the butt when you're busy and some random comes in wanting a zillion things certified ASAP. I have never charged but if I am eating my lunch or really busy I will ask people to come back later - you would not believe how many people get upset by this! The post office charges $4 per page where I live, but you can go to the people's advice Beaurea where they have a JP in attendance for certain hours of the day for free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My parents are Pharmacists, and it is a service they are obliged to do...and are asked VERY often, and usually rudely, to do. They do it for free, but most people are quite rude about asking. I think asking for a donation to discourage people is fair enough. Pharmacists are small-business-owners too, yet are often expected to do such things for free, and frequently.
    I am a doctor, and don't charge people for this service...but I expect people to ask courteously, and be patient.
    If you are not prepared to wait or be polite...go to your local Police Station.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't charge at our pharmacy we just ask that you wait. Your name gets put in a basket like a script would and you just wait in line.
    It's a very busy hospital pharmacy where you can wait for upto 45mins so most people take their documents elsewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinystarz View Post

police officers usually don't charge....

but what do you do when you move to a new suburb, and when you've missed the JP, not a single pharmacist in the whole suburb agrees to certify only 5 pages, and police officers ask you to wait a few days for JP to return, and council people also refuse!?!

now...

is That legal?

Yes it is 'legal' for your request to be postponed. None of the certifying persons are under any obligation to drop everything and immediately certify your documents. Would you really expect a busy emergency service to neglect their other immediate and more important duties to sign your paperwork? Sure it can be done there, however you may not have any idea what is happening in that building at that time. For that scenario you mentioned, your options would be to either make a time to return to one of the above mentioned to have documents certified, or go elsewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ngaiz...that is totally fair enough, and appropriate. Good on your Pharmacy, I say!

Sent from my GT-N7000B using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pharmacist charging for document certification?

I went to the pharmacy today to certify some documents and I had approximately 10 of them. The pharmacist said it will cost me $2 per page. I had no other option but to pay because I needed to send the certified copies by post the next day. I would like to know if that is legal or illegal. I thought that is community work that pharmacist are suppose to do when a community members needs a document certified. I didn't care about the $20 I spent however I feel somehow that it is not ethical. Share your thoughts and opinions in regards to this matter.
    Thanks for you help
    Last edited by engineering01; 23-02-2016 at 17:33. Reason: Got the number wrong

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pharmacists charging for certification of documents

Legal. Only justice of the peace can't charge as it is a voluntary service. Pharmacists are not working for free, their time does cost money. I am a pharmacist and I often don't certify things as it takes too much time and I am already under enough time pressure. There are plenty of opportunities to access JP's in my area and so I recommend people do that instead (within reason of course).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a solicitor and I used to get this all the time (now I work for a notary public who charges $50 to sign documents so people prefer him). It is a hassle. A lot of people arrive with copies that are not copied well, or they want you to explain them to them. Some are lovely though and it's nice to be able to provide the service.

It should be a free service, but you need to be reasonable. Arrive with clear copies. Call ahead of time and ask when is the best time to come in. Be organised. Nine times out of ten the people who need their documents signed urgently are rude, demanding and have created the urgency themselves by choosing to deal with their documents at the last possible moment. This is not fair and not the certifier's problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It takes a lot of time to certify documents. I have no problem with pharmacists charging.