+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've heard stories of all sorts of rudeness towards pharmacy staff for same thing tho so not everyone is so pleasant. I've never heard of charging, but I would guess since it is a donation they can't keep the profit from doing so.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    My question is,is charging to certify documents illegal?
    I don't think a JP can "charge" as such but I think it's reasonable for a Pharmacy (which is a busy business after all) to ask for a donation to charity for their time. It's not like they are making a profit or that it's for their own gain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I go to the Jp in the shopping centre- free

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Wow, rip off! I get it done for free at the police station or my local solicitor. Though the local cops have a 10 page limit, which is fair enough. I don't get why anyone would have more than 10 to do anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I'm a JP

Hi,

I'm a JP and its definitely illegal for us to charge - the entire point of a volunteer service is that you "volunteer" your time. We are not even allowed to accept "gifts" for any services.
    As far as the chemist goes though I'm not sure, its certainly not fair though and I'd be going elsewhere!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had to get many things certified.. MOST post offices and Pharmacies make you pay. However any justice of the peace offices don't. They told me at the JP that they do charge at the post office. I can understand tho why they do it.. They are really busy there most times. They charge for everything else why not that . That is what aJP is there for. Even tho yuo have to wait there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LG View Post
    Wow, rip off! I get it done for free at the police station or my local solicitor. Though the local cops have a 10 page limit, which is fair enough. I don't get why anyone would have more than 10 to do anyway.
    WHY??? when you are doing Visa for 3 children and yourselves to get in the country.. they need EVERYTHING and multiple copies are needed.. as you need them for your Visas, your passports, your medicals.. Lets just say when I got our permanant visa for Australia in total I had around 75 certified pages.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shell P View Post
    Hi,

I'm a JP and its definitely illegal for us to charge - the entire point of a volunteer service is that you "volunteer" your time. We are not even allowed to accept "gifts" for any services.
    As far as the chemist goes though I'm not sure, its certainly not fair though and I'd be going elsewhere!!!!
    Its not illegal to ask for donation - but it would probably be illegal to ENFORCE the 'donation' - it should have been your CHOICE as to whether to/ how much to donate ...

they get around the illegal bit - by stating its a donation ...

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I agree re police stations. Have never been anywhere else and the police officers have always been really lovely about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't looked it up as it varies from state to state, but I don't think JPs (and Comm Decs in Queensland - like a JP, but can only certify, witness etc - not extra functions of qualified JP like issuing warrants) can charge.

But in other states, there are several professionals who (I understand) can witness and certify documents without actually being a JP. So, I don't know if it would be illegal for them to charge as the rules normally apply to JPs (not people who can exercise the same functions as JPs).

If I was the pharmacist, I would just say that they don't witness documents, rather than taking some nominal amount from people. Or just witness them, as the flipside is that it could bring extra clientele in.

In Queensland only JPs, Comm Decs, lawyers and notary publics (like a super JP) can witness and certify documents. Before I was admitted as a lawyer, I had a Comm Dec (for convenience for work). So I still have that. So, as a lawyer, I can charge for my time, but as a Comm Dec I can't.

When I worked in a suburban law firm, we had a lot of people coming in. We would tell them we didn't have any JPs available, but they could have a 15 minute consultation with a solicitor if they wanted documents witnessed (that was for non clients). If we didn't take that approach, then we would have spent all day witnessing documents unfortunately.

If you want an exact answer to your question, call the Justice Department in your state and ask them if pharmacists can charge.