Closed Thread
Page 72 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    HI Crystal,

We are with CFC and also using EDSA. Finding a donor has been pretty easy considering. We looked at the basics like eye colour etc, then profile, then extended profile. It took 2 days to get a donor here in OZ and 3 weeks in SA so all in all we are feeling pretty good. Our donor here was 33 and we got 5 eggs, 4 fertilised. We have one left but have opted out of using as at this stage we see our chances higher and money better spent using a younger donor. Also the attitude of my clinic sucked!!! To be honest, I was never even told how many cells my embies had and I have no idea about the quality of the one in storage. They take money, provide estradials and pessaries, do the transfer. Nothing more, nothing less. So, if we need or opt to use our last one, I am moving it to another clinic.
    With SA, we picked the clinic and started any testing that was outside of the 12 month requirement and in the meanwhile we did the donor search. We really didn't go in search of a proven donor but it will be the 4th time for our donor. The first 2 times resulted in pregnancies, she is booked in for March/April and then July for us.
    Wonder how WJ is going with her bubs?????
    Luv Donna

Thanks
    Reviews
    Woo hoo Wilson Joy I'm soooooooooooooooooooooo happy. I can't wait to read your next update.

Crystal - I got connected with a Dr and clinical nurse in SA first. I then consulted with them as to which tests I needed. I know the form says you need x tests and they have to be within 12 months but this isn't always the case. I didn't have to have any kind of ultrasound or the day 3 FSH test. My lap and hist were more than 12 months old and accepted by the clinic. All the STD tests have to be up to date though. I think it pays to get in contact first to discuss what is required for your particular circumstance as there is no point paying for tests that you may not need.

Wow ladies the donor side of things seems to have changed a bit. I can't believe how long some of you have had to wait . I went through Nurture and it was finalised really quickly. My donor was unproven though so maybe that makes a difference. I also think more people are going over to SA now. I really hope you all get the donors of your choice.

xx
    SS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi ladies...time to introduce myself, as things have now progressed in my South Africa donor journey. Have remained quiet...not wanting to jinx anything!!

I am with Cape Fertility Clinic and Dr Wiswedel and my donor is organised...I am going through EDSA. We were pretty lucky, as we got our 1st choice donor for the time that we wanted (actually, no...we wanted April/May but financially June/July was more 'friendly').

I see some familiar names here from the IVF Over 40 thread...hello again.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sunny honey!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default CFC - bad experience - cheaper than Australia - but unprofessional

I had a very bad experience at CFC - they were (and continue to be) very unprofessional. No identification of embryos prior to implant, how did I know they were mine? Dr did not have the level of experience you should expect. I feel cheated as I would have gone back again as the donor side is great. Just the clinic wasn't. Do you research really really well - I too was so happy with the donor side - much better and reasonably priced - would LOVE to do it again (as I did not become pregnant the trauma they put me through I am sure part of the reason). I am looking for another clinic, but they are very very limited over there. Also in my research I found a Dr who had been struck off the medical register in the UK and then turned up as an IVF Dr in SA when this was not his speciality. So research well. The chaps that come up to your car asking for money to 'mind' your car - be very careful - we parked up at Table Mountain and we were way ahead of one of these 'car parking' people and so chose not to run back to give him any money - they get it off you when you come back anyway. When we came back every panel of our hire car had been keyed and the 'attendant' was no where to be seen. So obviously he was unhappy with us. Remember on the list of corrupt countries SA is very high on the list, on a par with Bosnia and China. You cannot report Drs to a body that cares. Life is cheap there. We were really bored and had booked to stay in Cape Town far too long. Tried to fly home but SA airways one minute said it would cost $30 to change flight when we called back to confirm the booking it was all of a sudden £1k each... hmmm. I am so happy that people had a good result - I think 70% is higher than they quoted me for success - their thaw out rate for frozen embryos is low at about 45%. On my experience with CFC I would say avoid avoid avoid. You can pay for the donors to fly to Australia. A little more expensive but I would suggest a better process. I would however love to hear of any good SA clinics out there - (not CFC!). Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I was told by CFC that I could NOT remove my frozen embryos from SA due to laws governing donor identity - it is anonymous in SA and not elsewhere so therefore they had to stay there. I am having issues and would love to remove them but stuck! ALSO there are risks associated with moving them, some Drs say it is ok, some say no way really dangerous. Even if you take the middle ground there are risks it seems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DJSHEARS - Planning July as well in the process of picking a donor at the moment

helenmac is offline After 3 yrs of tcc I've got a BFP!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Ladies,

Wilson Joy - I have said it on the other forum and I'll say it again! HUGE CONGRAT's on the safe arrival of your two beautiful boys. Enjoy the ride!!!

Abundance - I'm surprised Dr. Sacks said not to go to SA. When I told him my plans his word's were 'That's a good idea' and he fully supported me with writing scripts, etc. Unfortunately my first attempt resulted in a chemical so I'm going over for my FET in April but will be supported by Dr. Matthias my Reproductive Immunolgist due to my high nk cells.
    Oh and yes I do remember Dr. Sack's passing on some literature of an international donor programme with Hawaii which he supports although he's unable to refer due to legal restrictions.

January - As far as I'm aware any donor that over stimulates (over 14) those extra eggs are frozen in the egg bank for any unsuccessful recipients due to a donor having no suitable eggs for fertilization. Yes you are right that egg's do not thaw as well as blastocysts so the chances drop dramatically.

Nicole - How are your progesterone levels? Did you end up sourcing the crinone?

Jennilee - Wishing you every success for your BT keeping everything crossed for you. It only takes 1!

Laned - How are you going? Hope you are enjoying the pre-natal classes, so much fun, when is your due date again?

Hopeandprayer - Sorry to hear of your bad experience at CFC. I must say this is the first negative comment that I have heard as most women have a very positive experience. I'm going over in April for a transfer of my two frozen embryos and I was under the impression it was more like 50% pregnancy rate. In regards to flying donors out to Australia this would be illegal due to money being exchanged. Which Dr did you have? I only have heard extremely good feed back on Dr. Le Roux (my Doctor) he has a lovely bedside manner. Perhaps you could change to him if you feel that you are stuck and it's the only option.

Hi to everyone else and welcome newbies

AFM: My overseas blood test results have come back and I'm very happy with them so I can proceed with my immune meds in a couple of weeks. I've emailed CFC to book in my FET date and I await my treatment plan. I've just booked my flights and I'm leaving 17th April returning 21st April. Can't wait!! Wooo Hoo
    Last edited by helenmac; 02-03-2013 at 17:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,

Wilson Joy congrats to you and your family! Fabulous news and one that is so encouraging for all of us as we head to SA to fulfil our own dreams.

As for us our dear donor has just had her medical tests and so far so good..waiting on final bloods and assessment. We are so grateful to Dr H in CPT for taking the time to keep us posted during this testing stage. We are still aiming for the end of March - cant come quick enough. Anyone else heading over end of March?

Take care one and all. x