Closed Thread
Page 53 of 107 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Good morning

I received an email overnight from team Nurture which offered some general info that may be helpful for anyone reading this forum as they research the idea of ED (as I was )

"Hi, your donor has booked her appointment with the fertility clinic for her first round of screening appointments. While each clinic varies, the process usually works as follows:

1. Initial appointment with the doctor – scan to assess ovaries as well as screening blood tests;
    2. Blood test results take 7 to 10 days*;
    3. Psychological assessment;
    4. Waiting for period to start before she can be put on the pill (unless she’s on it already);
    5. A month to six weeks on the pill to synchronise your cycles; and then
    6. Planning of treatment.

From this point onwards, your doctor and the IVF coordinator at your fertility clinic will be your contact point in terms of test results and next steps in your treatment plan, but you are welcome to stay in contact with us. If you are feeling a bit anxious or you are feeling a bit in the dark, we are just an email or phone call away.

We are here to support you right through this exciting process!

*Vitalab patients please note: The screening process at Vitalab works a little differently. The clinic splits the donor screening into two phases, so the process takes a little longer than the timeframe outlined above."

So good news that my donor has booked in but I'm wondering how its all going to fit in before end of March (which is my donors deadline as she heads to Europe in April).
    I'm trying to be patient but I'm desperate to get the flights and accomodation booked given the price is going up (was $1800.00 per person now its $2041.00).

Thanks for the welcome Jennilee67, I too was wondering how to co-ordinate any moving around. I'm assuming l will only be able to do day trips. Let me know how you go. Very excited for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nurture were great! The girls there kept me sane and answered any crazy questions that I had. The donor testing process doesnt really take that long. I think all up it took less than 2 weeks for the confirmation of results to be forwarded to me. The whole process can move quite quickly really...faster than you would expect!

Thanks
    Reviews
    ALSO...sorry just read the last bit of your post, we only had 3 appointments in CT and that allowed for heaps of time to do things. Our donor needed an extra 2 days to get her eggs to size and because we factored in possible delays it wasnt a hassle at all. Depending on how long you are staying, you should be able to pencil in an overnight trip at a park like Inverdoorn! Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had second test the other day and levels have increased from 284 to 1018. Have another one next week, so will be interested to see what it is! I still cant believe that it has happened and it is quite a shock to the system to feel positive about the future. It also hit home quite clearly how bloody incredible they are at CFC. from the minute we walked into the clinic, we were treated magnificently. A stressful time was made LESS stressful by their organisation and their compassion. Cant speak highly enough of them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks SVD! - so excited for you and so glad you had such a wonderful experience - I hope our experience in Jozi with Medfem will be as good, the communication with Nurture and Medfem this week has been great so am feeling a lot more relaxed. However I will follow Laned's advice on taking all my documentation with me. I can imagine I too would be in shock to finally have a positive pregnancy result after so many years of negatives

SVD - how many days did you allow in CT- I have been told 10-12? Also did you book the accomodation in the one place for the whole time then just do day trips? This seems the easiest option given i won't know what days I will need to be at the clinic? I'm yet to even look at the safari options but Laned has mentioned pilanesburg for the Jozi area.

Also wondering what tests other than STD and hormone profile do the donors do? I.e do they do AMH or is it assumed if the donor is young they will have a good reserve? My Dr hear said there was no point doing genetic tests as unless they were in a high risk category that its impossible to test for everything? Do you get a copy of the test results or do they just say it was all good?

I heard from Nurture today that ballpark dates is for end of March start of April so that's exciting!

Once again can't thank you all enough for welcoming me to the forum and providing support and feedback - it has made this whole process feel a lot easier knowing others have and are going through it.

One more thing and l'll leave you all in peace - has anyone gone to the "time for talk" that is held by www.varta.org.au? A friend who had donor sperm in Oz went and said it was an amazing day event. Think it's held in Melbourne.

Below is the details from there web site:

Time To Tell Seminar

Talking to children about how we became a family with the help of a donor or surrogate; its all about openness, honesty, how, when and why tell.

Our next seminar will be held 18 May 2013

This seminar is designed to assist parents and prospective parents using donated eggs sperm, embryos or a surrogate to create a family. This seminar provides practical tips on how, when and what to communicate so that parents are empowered and children feel enriched by the unique way in which they came into this world.

Family and friends are very welcome to attend also.

Further details to follow.

If you would like to keep-up-to-date on future seminars, subscribe to our newsletter.

Have a great long weekend everyone

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixel For This Useful Post:

babywish313  (30-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Helenmac - great news you are back on board, although I am sorry to read of your journey thus far and the diagnosis of Ashermans. How frustrating for you. Anyway, it is great to read of your positivity. May this part of your journey start to be a bit easier for you

Sumershine - happy to read that all is going well for you. To you and all others who have asked yes the Springbok has been kicking away. It seems to be very active some days wearing itself out for the others. But I am loving every second of it and feel so blessed to have been given this opportunity.

Misleo and Nicole - bet you guys are beside yourselves with excitement. Not long to go now.

SVD - wonderful HCG numbers, when is your first scan?

Pixel - thank you so much for the website link. I appreciate that is is a very personal issue for all going through a donor process, but we personally choose to tell everyone about the donor process. We even had an 'Egg Safari Party' before we left to celebrate the journey. We have found family and friends to be overwhelmingly supportive, excited and accepting of the process. I have actually been surprised at everyone's apparent acceptance, as I thought some may have been a bit conservative, I was wrong. We intend on telling our little one age appropriate stories about how much they were wanted and intend on having a special link with Saffaland.

Well girls have an awesome weekend xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happy Australia day,

I am SO excited now... we fly out in 5 sleeps who can sleep......

just curious to know did any of you look into bringing back your embies, my clinic sent me an email yesterday telling me should i wish to bring my embies back that CFC will give me the required paperwork for customes..... ????
    DH and i are in two minds to be honest, we are not sure if we will freeze any as we may not be able to afford to go back down the ED route.... would love to know what you ladies think.

SVD - does your doc think you have twins as two were put back ??? or are your numbers so far showing one ?

Miss leo your time is nearly here sending lots of

well i must go and attend to the crazy hords at work - sky show night!!!

take care all
    Nicole

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone just wanted to quickly wish lots of baby dust to all those going to SA, there are quite a few of you. I hope you all come back with positives and dreams fulfilled.

helenmac I was wondering what was happening, I'm so glad you are back on track again.

pregnant ladies glad to hear that all is going well and we have a few twins on board.

i may not be around much anymore due to my little one taking all my attention, he doesn't sleep, but I still get the updates to see how you all are doing.
    ((HUGS))

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodiW For This Useful Post:

helenmac  (29-01-2013),laned  (29-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Laned- love your idea for the egg safari party We have also chosen to tell family and friends about our decision for ED and have also received support, acceptance and encouragement.
    We have also thought that age appropriate information was the way for us if we are so lucky to have success in SA.
    Through Nurture they had a question on the form asking if the donor was open to contact if the laws change and she marked yes.
    Where did you stay in pilanesburg? Did the clinic give you dates before you left that allowed you to book in or did you wait until you we're there?

jodiew- just wanted to say thanks for starting this forum it has been an invaluable source of support for me I notice you are coming up to your sons 1st birthday - congratulations - are you having a party?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Jodie - many thanks for what you have done for all of us and for your valuable contributions. It was this thread that gave me the courage to take the leap of faith to South Africa. I can't thank you and the other women thereafter enough for the generosity of sharing your journeys.

Pixel - the Egg Safari Party was awesome and a lot of fun. As for Pilanesburg, I booked 4 nights in advance through agoda.com. The only catch was that we had to leave earlier (on the afternoon of the 4th day) to accommodate our embryo transfer. We stayed at Black Rhino lodge and aside from getting pregnant (of course) it was definitely the highlight of the journey. It takes a bit to get there being approx 2.5 hours. Be sure to get directions to go via the motorway (I think the N1). Then you exit via Rustenberg (I think that's the spelling). But give the Lodge a call before hand, they were very helpful.