Closed Thread
Page 5 of 107 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Stacey, we are looking at v &a waterfront apartments, right I the midst of the cafe restaurant shopping precinct , also Sanbona have an offer stay 2-3 nights get 3 nights luxury accom in cape town I have a travel agent looking into it for us so we get to do the safari thing and reduce our accom costs in cape too. Will let you know

Would be great to be able to catch up over there, was told by travel agent not to fly qanat as as no guarantee that we will get there on time don't want to be stuffed about. So south African airlines is our only choice left. We leave sat 14 th jan return 27 th will keep you posted on updates re accom xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Synchronising with your cycle

I have had a message about the synchronising of cycles. I know a lot of the agencies in their explanations as to what goes on, say that the donor is synchornised to your cycle where as I have found that this is not always the case.

I have also had a message that some doctors do not forward information or if they do it isn't very forthcoming about your egg transfer and the lead up to it.

I just want to say, do not be alarmed if your cycle is altered to suit the donor.

From what I can gather the doctors like to have the eggs come out as natural as possible, the eggs are the important part of this procedure, so granted the donor is taking lots of drugs to give us lots of eggs but they try and keep the transfer close to her cycle. Im sure they do sometimes synchronise the cycles if yours and the donors cycles are close together but the few people that I have spoken too have had their cycle change. Mine was as I have a long cycle.

The oestradol that you take is pretty much estrogen, you take this to thicken up your lining to receive the egg, the triptoreline shot or lucrin or what ever you take stops your production of eggs and basically puts your cycle on hold. You take the estrogen tablets through to week 10. On the day of the egg retrieval you start taking your progesterone which you will take til week 10. This makes the body think that you have just ovulated and get ready as there may be an egg on its way.

In short form, the drugs you take literally cancell out your cycle and start a new "false" cycle. So although you may be having an egg transfer on what would have been your day 24 (as in my case) had your cycle gone through naturally, you are in fact not. Because of the drugs you are having the transfer done on day 5 (or day 3 obviously depending on the eggs).

So please do not let this be of concern.

If there are any other things that you are worried about, leave a post or pm me and I will try and help as best I can.

Baby dust to all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone

Just thought I'd share our experience for those thinking about heading to SA this year. 

This was the first time we used donor eggs and we came back with a BFP.  We went through the donor agency baby2mom and Cape Fertility Clinic.  Our doctor appeared to be affiliated with the clinic as opposed to being based there even though he had his own office in the building. I guess this equated to him not having access to reception staff because we were never supplied with standard information from CFC about how the cycle works, a detailed list of what meds to take and when, he had his own letterhead and my bill was literally cut and paste in the old-fashion sense.  Although I found this concerning from afar, by the time we got there we felt much better after meeting him and staff at CFC. They are a lovely lot.

Our donor doesn't look like me but she could have easily been my sister or cousin (an adult photo had been slipped in with the baby pictures).  She is 20 and produced 6 eggs on 225 of gonal.  Of these 5 fertilized but by Day 3 only 1 was at 8 cells.  I really wanted to hold out for the elusive blast and turned down the three day transfer - which is CFC policy if there are few eggs. By Day 5 we had one low quality blast, one that was on its way to be a blast, a heavily fragmented 5% chance morula and two bad apples.  Speaking directly with the embryologists and seeing the pictures helped so much with understanding the results. We transferred the three. 

The doctor recommended relaxing for the next two days and coincidentally our shark cage diving was canceled. We stayed by the pool the first day and drove to Cape of Good Hope for a magical experience on the second.  

The one thing that stuck with me is how worried I had become (and can still be).  I was worried about going to SA, worried about a doctor who used a personal email, worried about an agency that seem to advertise in the craziest of places and didn't take credit cards, about using a first time donor, about only retrieving 6 eggs,  their slow division by day 3, the 24 hour flight home via Dubai, the virus I caught on the plane,  etc.... yet despite all of my worrying a good result eventuated.  I think I would have been better off transferring my energy into faith for this little fetus rather than needlessly stressing myself and my husband with all my scenarios. 

And despite the illusion of control, I found  South Africa, or at least Cape Town, to be a good distraction.  There were many people there who helped bring about gratitude for the life I already had.

Doctor fee: $A5350 (roughly)
    Agency fee: $A1875 (roughly)
     Taxi from V&A to CFC: $A20
    Local train from Cape Town to CFC  (Claremont): $A1

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's wonderful news, I am so happy for you, what a lovely story.
    I cant wait to hear how things go and wishing you all the very best, when is your scan etc.
    I too had a wonderful experience there a few months ago now, but alas a BFN, I am waiting to be more financial to be able to return for a FET.
    I was truly a magical place and well worth every bit of the trip. I just loved the people and the scenery.

Congratulations and good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's wonderful news, I am so happy for you, what a lovely story.
    I cant wait to hear how things go and wishing you all the very best, when is your scan etc.
    I too had a wonderful experience there a few months ago now, but alas a BFN, I am waiting to be more financial to be able to return for a FET.
    I was truly a magical place and well worth every bit of the trip. I just loved the people and the scenery.

Congratulations and good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Woo hoo congratulations Chascabear awesome news.

The Aussie dollar is so strong at the moment that its actually cheaper to do a cycle there than here, yes you have to pay for travel but we all need a holiday right, LOL.

I am so excited for you. Keep us updated.

Francie, I'm so sorry that it didn't work out for you this time, you have to believe your time is coming, it will. Save those pennies cause the sooner you get over there again the sooner it will all fall into place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Francie

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm glad to read that you have frozen embryos waiting for you.  Take JodiW's advice on believing it is your time when you return. Her words came into my head once when I was disheartened and I realized if I don't believe in all this who will? I wish you heaps of baby dust and look forward to reading about your success. Let me know when you go! 

We had our first u/s this week and saw a little heartbeat pumping away. It's all a bit surreal but it worked!

mostly in Perth but sometimes away with the fairies
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations on your BFP!

I too am a CFC success story. Hubby and I went over in October, my angel donor was 32 years of age and she had 21 eggs retrieved. We had 6 of the premo eggs and fertilized all and two were popped back in. I got a BFP 2 weeks later...sadly at 8 weeks I lost one of the embies, but I truly believe they sacrificed themselves to save this bub that is currently growing inside me. We feel so blessed to be able to finally have a baby! I cannot wait to meet him/her. In my eyes anyone who selflessly donates their eggs to another who is desperate to be a mum, well they are angels. We have 4 frosties still left!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi pearl,
    Just wanted to see if you have any news from SA yet?
    Im thinking of you & have everything crossed.
    Now you bring that baby back!
    Miss you
    Ice xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow Theresa thats was an awesome cycle, and to have some frosties for your next baby already waiting for you is wonderful not to mention a time and money saver

I wish you all the best and keep us all updated as to how your going. Lets face it with all the struggles we have been through, a positive attitude can be really hard to come by, i think its that positive attitude that is needed. I also think its very heartening for others to hear the success stories so they can go to SA maybe with not so much of a positive attitude but hope that it will work cause every little bit helps.

Ice Maiden will you be going to SA?