Closed Thread
Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I obtained the prescriptions from my GP, just take the list with you so the GP writes everything down correctly on the prescription.

Your FS in Australia won't help you, you are basically taking your business elsewhere by going to SA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    firstly Congrats on the bubba thats awesome news.

my dh and i are going to the states early next yr but my question is the $6500 to $7000 you said was the cost is that just for the cycle what about the egg donors are they paid as well or is that all up? cause this seems a hell of alot cheaper than the USA (i chose the states because of availability and for the choice of donors and i also feel fairly safe in the states the thought of going to SA terrifies me ) but the bill is very Ouchie lol

now after reading your post maybe i need to look into SA before committing to the US
    again congrats on your success

Thanks
    Reviews
    kjt2003

Its around 49,000 rand all up for the clinic, which includes most of the drugs and the donor and the donor cycle, which at an exchange rate of around 7 rand per dollar is $7000, whilst we were there it was around 7.6 rand per dollar.

The agency fee, for finding the donor and their admin fee and setting up their appointment with the clinic is extra. This is pretty typical for agencies all over the world. I can't remember the cost but you can find out easily enough by looking at their websites. I did look at going to the US but it was way to pricey. SA is anonymous too.

Look at Nuture, gift ov life, global egg donations, baby2mom, there are a few others but I can't remember their names. Its worth doing your research before you make your final decision.

Some clinics have a 70% success rate for a positive first time which is also an added bonus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks jodiw that is a lot cheaper the usa is over 30k
    will look into it now lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, we just got back yesterday, it was wonderful. The clinic was great, the docs wonderful, very thorough and professional. Capetown is beautiful, very safe you don't need to worry, Karen. And we were there on sunday after the rugby! they were all lovely people. It is so cheap, eating out and everything is easy to do. We had a lovely holiday for 2 weeks so much to do there i did not get to see all that I wanted too. I think its best to hire a car its not expensive at all. Cost me about $5000 for the ivf, $2000 for agency, $1000 for accommodation, and $6000 in airfares (3 of us) plus spending & eating etc, it's very cost effective compared to the US.
    let me know if you want any more info, best of luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Francie welcome back. Yes please feel free to add any info that I might have missed its very daunting as you know so the more info we supply the better equiped others will be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Jodi for your detailed response. It is very helpful and always reassuring to hear what to expect!

As you said, I got an email from my SA doc saying I needed to get progynova tablets and Leuproreline Depo. I am having difficulty locating the shot in the correct dose. I need 3.75 mg, and chemists seem to stock 7.5mg. Perhaps I need to buy the larger one and adjust the dose, but I am still calling around at this stage. I haven’t had pregnyl but I know luveris very well, which sounds like a similar mixing process, though injecting it into my bum will be new!

We are with CFC and our doctor did mention Gestone. You and another person have suggested that I buy up all the drugs in SA while there, which sounds like a good idea. She had no problems with customs on the way back so I will ask about it.

Thanks again for the info and many congrats on your success. I hope you are feeling great and everything is going along smoothly.

CB

Oh, one other q - did anyone need vaccines/visa for going there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chascabear

I was given this list from CFC
    B: ONE of the following:i. Leuprolide acetate 3.75mg depot injection x 1(Lupron®, Lucrin®, Prostap®)ii. Triptorelin acetate 3.75mg depot injection x 1(Decapeptyl®, Gonapeptyl®)iii. Leuprolide acetate 5mg/ml daily injection, 2.8ml vial x 1(Lupron®, Lucrin®)iv. Buserelin acetate 1mg/ml daily injection, 5.5ml vial x 2(Buserelin®)v. Buserelin acetate 150mcg/spray, daily nasal spray, 10g bottle x 2(Suprecur®)vi. Naferelin acetate 2mg/ml daily nasal spray, 60 dose bottle x 2(Synarel®)C: Estradiol valerate 2mg tablets x 140(Estropause®, Progynova®, Estrace®, Estrofem®, Meriestra®)D: A pregnancy multivitamin formula containing a minimum of 400mcg (0.4mg)Folic Acid.
    The medication you will obtain in Cape Town:
    E: Progesterone in oil injection 100mg/2ml x 35(Gestone)

Before i saw the Doctor I went to the chemist to see what was possible to get here in Sydney apart from taking lucrin or synarel everyday the chemist could get in choice ii Triptorelin acetate 3.75mg depot injection. The Doc thought we could get (i. Leuprolide acetate 3.75mg depot injection) as it was on his list of medication however as the chemist couldn't get it in, it didn't show up in his bible of drugs or not in the correct dosage, I requested the Doc give me a prescription for number ii, as I knew the chemist could get it in or a generic brand of it anyway. I wouldnt recommend getting a higher dosage as you won't know how much to give yourself. If I were you i would check with your local chemist and see what they can order in from their drugs bible then get the doc to write up the prescription.

The meds they will give you are some Gestone injections and maybe a couple of crinone pessaries, you will need to get more of the crinone I believe check with the chemist you can get these. I just stayed on Gestone for the whole time as I preferred the injection to having to remember to put the pessaries in day and night I have an awful memory and the gestone was easier to carry too.

If the clinic has given you a different list of drugs, perhaps they differ with each doctor, perhaps you can check with them if you can choose from the list given to me.

The clinic will do a letter for you to bring the drugs back in case you get asked or stopped, I didn't have anyone question me nor did my mate but its worth having the letter just in case.

No you don't need vaccines or a visa. Sounds like you are good to go. I am very exicited for you and I will see you on the other boards soon I hope. You must come back and let me know how you got on and please add any info that you think I have missed or might be of interest to others.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JodiW For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (12-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again JodiW. I just heard from my doctor, Dr Dhansay, who works out of CFC, who suggested I try to obtain Triptorelin acetate 3.75mg depot injection instead. It’s available from the Chemist Warehouse for $440.36, so looks like we will go with that one. Thanks for the info and encouragement. I’ll let you now how it all goes.
    Best wishes
    Chasca

Thanks
    Reviews

Default South African

Hi there

I am South African and have very recently moved to Aus with my family (2 little girls and hubby)

Don't be overly nervous about going to South Africa as it is a great country as long as you are aware of what to look out for. The people trying to help you into parking spaces are called carguards and they are trying to earn a living by doing a job they think is helpful and honest. Try not to carry cash around if possible and rather use your credit card. The biggest thing is to not advertise what you have (so the advice about not leaving things visible in cars is 100% correct, and keep your bag in front of you or tucked well under your arm as you are less of an easy target that way. Most thefts and attacks are still opportunistic.) Have a look at google earth and use your GPS as that will help you avoid potentially less safe areas to travel through.(the townships are well marked) Camps Bay and Hout Bay etc are great areas and really beautiful.

The doctors in SA are great too so you are safe there. I would def. go to Cape Town though over Joburg as it is safer, cleaner and a LOT prettier ! (I am a Durbanite)

I am looking at donating eggs here in Aus after seeing someone needing eggs in the gold coast sun but must admit am finding it difficult to find a place to do this, although I am quite early on in the process, so will keep looking

Best of luck all of you and if you need any info with regards travel in SA I am happy to help.

Kirst