Closed Thread
Page 15 of 107 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Fantastic news Helen..fingers crossed for you!
    We're just trying to book for out trip in August. Can you please advise the name of the Apartments your staying in?
    We're looking around Camps Bay also however its very difficult when we know nothing of SA & Cape town!
    Akso who did you rent your car through & would you reccommend them?
    Thanks again & enjoy!
    Cheers,
    Megan

helenmac is offline After 3 yrs of tcc I've got a BFP!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks Megan,

We stayed in De Waterkant. The building is called 'The Rockwell'. It's a privately owned apartment within a hotel. Very good security and car space. We wanted to feel safe which is why we chose this option. It's a self catering apartment but you have the use of the hotel restaurant, room service, bar, gym, pool etc. Free shuttle bus to the Waterfront. Walking distance to Cape Quarter an upmarket shopping centre which was very convenient. Highly recommended!! You can get a good winter deal which is what we got.

Camps Bay is beautiful but it's more if you want to go out and party with bars and clubs. The beach is really lovely though and some great restauarnts and cafes.

We used around about cars. They gave us a good deal with free gps, free mobile and child car seat. Collected us from the hotel and we fantastic to deal with.

If you would like any more info. Links etc just let me know.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any advice on donor agencies in SA?

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and am an Australian currently living in NZ. We have done 12 IVF's in total and are lucky enough to have a 4 year old son from IVF no. 6 however my eggs are now of such a bad quality that we have decided to turn to donor eggs.

We are thinking of doing a DE cycle in SA and I have been in contact with an agency called Nurture over there however I was just wondering if anyone had any SA donor agency recommendations?

Good luck to anyone who is currently on 2ww from a DE trip (sorry I haven't read through all the posts yet to see where everyone is at!).

Jed

Thanks
    Reviews

Default update fron SA...

Well, the rollercoaster continues! Having arrived in Cape Town by myself earlier this week, at last there is some positive news. My dear donor has produced 12 eggs from her retrieval this morning, and I am cautiously pleased at this stage. When I had my appointment a couple of days ago, my doc informed me that she had 9 follicles, so 12 eggs is indeed more than expected. Coming to CT on my own has been challenging...I am about 15 mins walk from the clinic, and about the same from a Woolworths. Food collection is my daily outing, and I am feeling rather isolated and sooky...thank goodness for skype!! I have some work which I brought from home, so I should prob do some!! I am staying in a little bedsit cottage in a leafy garden, and I have a lady who comes and makes my bed and does my dishes and washing. It is about $50 a night and is very secure.I have opted to use crinone instead of the injections as I still have lumps all over my posterior from April, our last visit! Also, the needles made me craaaazzzyyy! i have lined up the lovely Sarah Hewland for acu before and after transfer, and I highly rec her if you want an acupuncturist in CT. Best wishes to you all, WJ
    Last edited by wilson joy; 23-06-2012 at 19:47. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jed- Hi, there are multiple agencies in SA. We checked out all of them: Baby2mom, Giftovlife, Nurture and Global Egg Donors.

We ended up going with Baby2mom due to our donor selection. Some agencies have better conditions in relation to if a cycle is unsuccessful you can negotiate a discount and the costs vary for each.

I have found Jenny to be most responsive and helpful. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the IVF nurses at the fertility clinic we are going through in Johannesburg (our donor would not travel). We expressed our concern in relation to such and Jenny has been a wonderful liasion.

All the best with your decisions.

Wilson- wow that is an awesome number of eggs. I hope you get fantastic emby numbers and a wonderful BFP. I am worrying about the injections. I have boxes and boxes of crinone left over from all our failed IVF attempts and I am considering just using it. All the best.

Helenmac- any news yet? Have everything crossed for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi to you all again,
    HelenMac how are you going? Are you back home yet? Its a pity we couldnt meet up for that cup of tea!
    Laned read some literature regarding the use of crinone in supporting a donor transfer...theres not much bad to say about it...my doc says it is fine to use, just to be aware that some people bleed on it, and obviously any bleeding is not ideal. I have never had this occur, so after the PIO ordeal, I have opted for this instead. It would seem that many IVF nurses are not as lovely as a patient may hope...cannot say I have seen any really shining examples of exemplary patient care in all of my time in Fertility Land! Granted we are sensitive souls, put through the ringer on numerous occasions, one would assume IVF nurses to be superbly efficient and supportive..as I said in a previous post, overall, all I have experienced is contempt, like I am a bit of an inconvenience when I ask hard questions, or sook as the blood is vampirously extracted from my arm! Who do they think pays their wages?? Anyway enough of that...now for another day in paradise...will I go to the shops early or late??? such big decisions, but I am taking it one day at a time, and trying to stay calm!! x

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I just got the call from the lab...out of 12 eggs, 8 have fertilized. The horrid waiting continues...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that info Ianed - we reserved a donor through 'Nurture' on the weekend (for a Cape Town cycle) so now waiting to hear back as to whether or not she is happy to go ahead. We don't want to start until Sept though as I have just finished an IVF and want to give me body a couple of months rest before being downregulated again (I had no idea you would still have to be DG'd for an DE cycle!!!).

WJ - 8 is a great fert result! Fingers crossed for lots of embies on day 5! I HATE that nervous wait!

Keeping everything crossed for a bfp for you too Helen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    WilsonJ - Whoo hooo for the fert rates grow little embies grow . Thanks for the info. I have used Crinone before without any drama so will talk to FS re it's use again. I haven't received any info from the clinic and despite my requests they have continued to state that they will get back to me on testing the donor. wishing you the very best for your upcoming transfer. X

Jed - congrats on choosing a donor. How exciting. As above, I have not been provided any information about my preparation for the upcoming August cycle. I have taken it upon myself to commence the OCP and have made an appointment with my own FS here for the 25 July. We are arriving in SA on the 19 Aug and I was hoping to try and have the TVEPU attended on or about the 21 Aug. I was in no uncertain terms told by the IVF nurse that they were unable to give me times that the cycle would be determined by the donors menstral cycle. Mmmmm years of IVF has enlightened me that such can be manipulated.

helenmac is offline After 3 yrs of tcc I've got a BFP!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

I'm afriad it's not good news for me. First BT showed a possitve hcg level of 72 but (48 hours later) the 2nd BT hcg levels were declining to 47 so I'm going to lose this one.

Thank goodness we have 2 frozen embryos left in Cape Town so I am thinking of going back early September for a final shot.

Firstly I am going to source the reason why my perfect donor A grade embryos are not implanting as they should. I have high nK cells in the endrometrium lining (CD57) so I'll be having some agressive treatment in conjunction with my next FET.

Sorry this is a ME post. I'll come back tomorrow to read through the latest few posts, I just wanted to give you all a quick update.

Helen.