Closed Thread
Page 1 of 107 1231151101 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Egg donation in South Africa

Hi Peeps,

I am new to this website, just thought I would pop in and say hello. I went to South Africa for egg donation in August and have come back with a positive as of today I am 5 weeks. It was my intention to start a blog providing information for those who are considering this option, as a helping hand of what to expect, etc but I haven't had the time as yet. I will be loitering around this website so please feel free to leave a post and I will answer whatever questions I can.

JodiW

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JodiW For This Useful Post:

HeatherRob  (02-09-2011),helenmac  (06-02-2012),Jennyvw  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am going to SA in a month,
    Which clinic did you use there,
    Did you end up with frozen embies.
    I am nervous and excited about it.
    Congratulations and all the very best, hoping you see a little heartbeat very soon.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi JodiW, That's great news! I am also going to SA - 3 weeks today. Hopefully we will all be lucky. Also interested in which clinic you went to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I donated at a clinic in Bangkok - i have to say it was more professonal and clean than most of our clinics here. THey send a car to pick you up at the airport, keep you informed every step of the way and it was amazing. the only reason i went is because i cant donate to any new couples in australia and the couple i went with decided to try bangkok then if it didnt work they would save up and try greece or spain. Pm me if you want any details - they also have egg donors over there and the cost was about $6000 australian.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pisces00 For This Useful Post:

hpeace  (09-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, I am really interested to hearing about your experiences, I am also considering SAfrica.

Did you guys feel safe?

Please PM anything you can share, did you do homework and decide that SA was the best option and is it really expensive?

I really appreciate you helping me with anything you can offer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies, First of all congratulations on making that hard decision to use someone elses eggs, its a really hard decision to make but as I now believe and my mate before me, it is worth it.

I did loads of research, I looked at India, Thailand, US and of course South Africa. The reason I chose SA was because they had more options for caucasion donors as opposed to Thailand and India and they were cost wise on par with Thailand and India and cheaper than the US. I also hadn't been to South Africa before either. I think its around $6500-7000 for the cycle.

My friend actually did her cycle with CFC before I did, (it took me quite a while to give up on my own eggs) and she gave birth last week. We were both really impressed with the level of service and professionalism shown by all parties involved, much better than the Australian clinics that I did IVF through. Put it this way it seems both our DH's have made comments about how much more efficient this clinic is and for a bloke to notice, is saying something right!
    I will definitely be going back for number 2.

Do I have any frosties, no, but that is nothing to do with the clinic its more about the eggs, where as I had 1 good egg with a possible could be good egg put in, my mate had 15+ fantastic eggs. Its just the luck of the donor you choose. My DH left his sample at the clinic so next year I can go back alone for number 2.

Did I feel safe: I left all my bling at home, I wore my wedding ring which is a plain band and huggie earrings (no diamonds) and that was it. I did have a sneak peak at other females whilst I was in Capetown, whilst I did see quite a bit of gold chains and bracelets, I didn't see much in the way of diamonds and other gems being worn by other ladies, if I did see them, they were very small.

We never left a bag visible in the car, we never left GPS or anything to do with a GPS visible in the car either. They also say that when you leave the shops make sure no one is following you and do not go to an ATM at night, do not let anyone help you use and ATM and do not let anyone in your car even if they are offering to help you. If you feel you are entering a township (the houses are getting closer together and look poorer, you will know when you see one) turn around and get out again. Keep your car doors locked. These are a few things that you normally wouldn't worry about at home but there are some really poor people in SA and it drives them to be opportunistic. Follow these few simple rules and you will be fine. Like any country you visit you need to keep you wits about you. In saying that the majority of people just keep to themselves and I can't say that I felt threatened.

One thing that shocked me was when you parked the car someone would run up to the car and try and direct you into or out of the parking hole, this frightened me every single time, I keep thing oh no we are going to run them over. Again they are being opportunistic, trying to earn some rands, so don't let this surprise you.

We stayed at Seaways in Mouille Point near the V&A a serviced apartment, it was a great location but the apartment was awful, it was so cold we had the heating on 24/7 (tiny oil heater) and everything in the apartment was damp and stank. We wanted to stay in a serviced apartment as we thought we would save money by cooking ourselves and doing our own washing however my husband (who is the cook) cooked twice as its so cheap there. I only found out the last couple of days how cheap it was for your washing to be done for you. Had I of known I would have taken all the washing to a laundromat. We spent extra for services we didn't use. Apartments don't have safety deposit boxes either which is a bit of a worry. Next time I will be staying around Sea Point, lots of grocery stores, laundromats and restaurants near by. We had dinner at Design Hotel one night it was lovely, and I will look at staying at the hotel next year, the other hotel I would enquire about is Pretoria Hotel Sea Point (its opposite Design Hotel). Security patrol along the esplanade all day and night so it is safe down there, the other way is the main road and it looks a bit daunting but we found it to be safe.

My mate stayed around Constantia and also Campas Bay and she absolutely loved it there. V&A has some lovely accommodation too. It depends on what you are looking for and of course how much you want to pay. Everything in Capetown is pretty central and easy to get to, but I do suggest first time round hiring a car and a GPS to get your bearrings.

Hiring a car can mean you will also have the opportunity to visit a little of the country too. We went to Stellenbosch (winelands 1.5hr drive from CT) and stayed at Spiers which was lovely, had dinner in a tree house in Moyo which was quaint (the food wasn't great but it was winter!) I can see this place would be absolutely busy and stunning in the summer months (and would love to go back there) and we also went to Sanbona Wildlife reserve (3hrs drive from CT) and stayed at White Lion lodge, though there isn't much game on their side of the park, they do take you over to the otherside for some animal watching. There are a few lodges on the Sanbona Wildlife reserve, whilst White Lion is wonderful it is very expensive and we only stayed there because it was winter and half price. I also believe there are other safari parks which are a little closer to Capetown too.

You can drive down to Simons Town and Boulders and see the penguins and continue further down to Cape of Good Hope.

For those who are looking to choose a donor in South Africa, I had dealings with pretty much all of the agencies, I chose my first donor with GIft ov Life, however due to circumstances the donor had to pull out at the last minute, my DH then chose a donor through Nuture. I also had a lot of dealings prior to this with Global Egg Donations as I didn't think I could carry a child and was initially going to go straight for surrogacy. I think every agency is pretty much the same, they are all lovely and they are all there to help.

Oh I should mention flights too, I booked flights from Sydney to Joburg and we used our airmiles for flights inbetween Joburg and Capetown, I wouldn't recommend it, next time I will be booking my flights to Capetown, although you still have to stop at Joburg and change planes, you won't sit around for hours, especially after such a long flight and you don't need to worry about your baggage it is transferred for you. We honestly were at the end of our tether when we finally arrived in CT. Had we of paid separately for our flights between Jburg and CT rather than use airmiles we could have changed to an earlier flight. Anyhoo we know now.

Other things will come to me I am sure and will post when I think about it.

For those about to cycle, good luck, 70% is a fantastic rate for positives, much better than Australia, try and be positive and enjoy your time in South Africa.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JodiW For This Useful Post:

HeatherRob  (11-10-2011),MGC Bertie  (12-01-2014),Missbean  (08-12-2012),Starf1sh  (05-09-2011),wishing4  (20-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jodi, firstly, HUGE congratulations!!! Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Going to SA is our Plan C (about to enact Plan B which is ED cycle with sister). It is always really helpful to hear 1st hand from someone who has been down this path and I would appreciate any further pearls of wisdom you have to share about your experience (or will ask more questions as I think of them if that's ok?). Sending lots of for your upcoming scan. Please keep us posted!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Starf1sh
    Ask away, glad to help in anyway I can, if I can make you journey easier and less stressful by sharing my information and experience then job done.

Good luck with your Plan B I hope it all goes well for you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JodiW For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (08-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did your scan go Jodi??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Starf1sh

I didn't get to see the heartbeat, my Ob saw it so did my hubby so the Ob turned on the sound and I could hear it which was very reassuring. His first reaction was, its grown quite a lot which I thought was a bit odd as you would expect it too, but he said that everything was on track and looking good, I am going back again in 3 weeks time to have another scan and make sure everything is still on track. I guess my Ob is looking after me and trying to reassure me which is really nice considering my journey to motherhood so far LOL.

How are you doing?