+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    *so many hugs*

i had one. for not so nice reasons... and i wasnt prepared for it. so i will admit i had some bonding issues. BUT i think being prepared for it would have helped me immensely.

photos is a lovely idea, getting daddy to have skin to skin etc.

*more hugs*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am thankful that at least I can 'prepare' myself a little, I can't imagine how horrible it would be sprung on you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an emergency c-section under a GA. I don't feel like I missed out on anything because you go to sleep and it's like 5 seconds later you're waking up in recovery and a short trip up to the ward and you get to see your baby. You just don't realise that hours have passed.

It was actually quite an amazing experience being wheeled up to meet DS. I will never forget the excitement and anticipation and when he was first put into my arms.......can't even explain the feeling, it was just amazing.

Because of my scary birth experience if I ever had another I would actually have an elective C section under a GA again to save myself anxiety and fear of going through a horrible labour.

The theatre staff took photo's for me as well on my camera so those moments were not missed.
    Last edited by Ra Ra Superstar; 01-09-2011 at 18:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hiya LeeJ,

I had an unplanned GA for the arrival of DD2. It was about 3-4 hours before I held her.

DH spent that time bonding with her until I was out of theatre and awake, and then she was brought straight into me for her first BF.

I'm like you in that I feel DREADFUL coming out of a GA... talk to the anaesthetist before you go under because there are things they can give you to help with that. Also, don't be shy in recovery - let the nurse know if you feel ill.. you don't have to suffer it, it's much better if you feel well so you can enjoy your first few hours with bub.

If it's any consolation, DD2 took to BF like a pro. My milk came in within less than 24 hours despite the difficult delivery!!! She then went on to feed until about a month ago (18 months) when she self-weaned. So just because you have a general, it doesn't automatically rule out nursing. Just put bub to your breast as much as possible, and also maybe speak to the nurse to see about safe ways to cosleep in hospital. I'm sure that helped my milk come in, and also it was so much easier than struggling to get out of bed to get DD in the middle of the night.

I'm so sorry that things aren't going the way you would have planned. I would never have chosen that method of delivery either (hope I'm reading your posts correctly, if this is your choice I apologise for my presumption).

Do you mind if I ask why you need a GA?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not our choice I'm afraid, it isn't for sure yet though, they think the spinal won't work for me, so have prewarned that a general is certainly on the cards. I hadn't even considered that a general might be needed tbh.

We had a terrible time bf'ing with ds, well, I never 'got milk in', so we were hoping for the best outcome to start our bf'ing journey, iykwim?

As they say, what will be, will be, and I'm sure once we have our bubs, whichever way that ends up being, those first few days will be a memory, and we have the rest of our lives to live.

Thankyou so much for your stories, I really appreciate them

Tommysmummy, yes, I suppose you are right in that you don't realize it's been that long, the anesthetist said they will try bringing me out within 15 minutes of them finishing everything up. He is as keen as I for a spinal to work, but need to be prepared. He said he's only sent 3 ladies for a general for not being able to take a spinal in 20 years, so if it happens, I know it's likely the only way, iykwim?

Oh will make sure to say I feel shocking after a general, see if they can help with that, thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a c-section under a GA 5 years ago with my DD. I'm really sorry I can't offer you a positive story about it though

If it's something that needs to happen for you though, make absolutely sure that bub is taken straight to your partner for skin to skin and that bub stays there until you are able to take him/her.

DD was taken straight to my DH where she spent the 2hrs I was in recovery with him, snuggling with him. They have formed an incredible bond which I put down to their early time together, but is about the only positive to come from my story

Thanks
    Reviews
    bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi lee, my mum had to have a c-section with my little sister (placenta praevia) and she actually requested a general! She was too scared to be awake for it. She never had any problems afterwards with bonding.
    My sister had to have an emergency GA with my nephew aged 4 and she breastfed and has a lovely relationship with him. Obviously in my sisters case it wouldn't have been her first choice but she was ok with it.

Fingers crossed it's not necessary and even if it is I'm sure you'll be well prepared

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm a bit late on this one, DS was born via csection with a general. It wasn't what I wanted andI struggled with it. I will say I am glad I spoke to the anthestist prior to the day and made sure he knew to tell me right away of DSs condition. Really eased my mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had three GA'S and one epi, I had a better experience with the GA'S. What gave me great comfort was that bubs was going straight to dad after the birth so they would have been in great hands. There are some risks involved so speak to your mid-wife just to be aware. I had a much pleasant experience having a GA, believe it or not my son who was a GA is a little mummies boy and the other who was a epi is a little daddys boy. all the best