+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Aqua classes for pregnancy???

Hi Everyone
    I am looking to start aqua classes when the weather starts warming up. I found a place online called Aquanatal in Sydney that does pregnancy aqua classes but they are $27.50 a class (with a discount if you pay for more at a time). That seems like a lot. I don’t know if they would be worth it or I should just go to the regular aqua classes at the local pool???
    What do you think???
    Anyone done Aquanatal classes before???

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went to one aquanatal class, but not in Sydney. I got really achy afterwards. I ended up preferring to go for an unstructured swim / float instead. Give one a go and see if it is for you. They do some things the same as a standard aquarobics class, but some different and at a different rate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried some and like the PP it didn't really agree with me. It exacerbated my back and hip pain significantly. I found I was much better just water walking.

The class I did definitely wasn't that expensive though - I'd phone around. You may also be able to get a trial class to see if you like it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm planning on starting a normal aqua class at my local pool. When I enquired they told me to tell the instructor that I was pregnant and to take things at my own pace for example if the exercises became too hard to stop and do some walking or if I needed to go and get a drink to do so.

The lessons are $10 per lesson or $90 for a 10 week block.

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did normal water aerobics right up until I gave birth, I just knew my limitations. Cost about $9 a class, loved it!!! Helped me return to netball when ds was 7 weeks old too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the replys. I think I may just go to my local pool and their classes as it is much closer and they have a crèche for DD and then we can both have a swim and play after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Loulabelle,

I hope you are going well. I wish I'd seen your posting earlier.
    There's a big difference between "Aqua" and "Aquanatal", so comparing the two is like apples & pears.

Very few aqua instructors are aware of the special needs of pregnant women, or are able to advise on the suitability of particular exercises (was sorry to hear about bellalika and SalsaMama's bad experiences with regular aqua).

Aquanatal classes are run by qualified midwives and combine regular aqua with birth preparation, stage-appropriate exercises, relaxation and breathing, etc. The classes are also generally much smaller, plus you meet and network with other mums-to-be in your area.

Of course I'm biased, as my wife teaches classes for Sydney Aquanatal, but it's probably best to check out what Aquanatal mums have said about their classes ("What it's like" at www.aquanatal.com.au) or better still, attend a trial class yourself and see if it's the right thing for you.

All the best,
    HappyDad