+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Worried ... 6wk scan no heartbeat

My wife and I started down the IVF path after a few years of not being successful naturally (we have a 4yo son, natural conception).

Anyway we got the first hurdles over with, and succesful pregancy resulted from the bloodtests at 4wks. Today (this morning) was the 6wk scan.

The Dr struggled a bit to find anything, but eventually found it. Sadly it is "a little smaller than she would like" and she couldn't find a heartbeat. Not the news we had hoped for There's a sac, and its located fine ... but that's as much as she could tell.

Now we are both worried, my wife especially (she is taking it very hard, and I understand why). I'm trying to remain positive ... maybe the foetus is growing a little slower than usual initially. My wife of course thinks its all over

The Dr told my wife to continue progsterone (only at night now, not mornings) ... prior to the scan she had told my wife she could stop ... obviously the scan gave her reason to change her mind.

Anyway my wife has to go back for another scan next week to see if it has grown. No blood tests were done today. The Dr wasn't overly negative about it (i.e. no talk of "plan for the worst" but she wasn't very confident).

I'm really trying to remain positive, but it's so very hard. I'm trying to block out the prospect that it will all end in nothing. We so want another child in our lives.

Anyone got any reassuring stories ? I need something to help my wife, she is really taking this very very hard.

What reinforces in her mind that it has gone bad is that she has had a cold for the last couple of weeks, and for a while she had the symptoms of sore breasts etc but that's all stopped. She had a little bit of morning sickness late last week (but could have been something else) and all she feels now is hungry and tired.

Confusing ...
    Last edited by HopefulDad; 01-09-2011 at 10:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Big to you & your wife. There are heaps of stories on bubhub of women having scans at around 6 weeks and not seeing a heartbeat then ending up with a healthy bubba out of the pregnancy. 6 weeks is the earliest you'll see a heartbeat and often it's days later than the 6 weeks (maybe even 7 weeks) before it can be seen. There was 'something' on the scan, so that's great, but I know you were hanging out for the heartbeat. It's *really* hard to wait, but there is definitely still hope - don't give up hope yet .

I hope it's a good outcome - keep us updated.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (01-09-2011)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm so sorry you're going through this .

My ob always tells me to wait until 7 weeks for my dating scans, because any earlier than that and the lack of a heartbeat won't actually tell us anything, and will only serve to make me worried.

Was the ultrasound internal? You say no blood tests were done today, surely tracking Beta hCG levels would give you a more complete picture?

Best wishes .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    it is possable to go on an have a baby. My DD and my niece is proof of that. Sometimes it is just a few days too early to see the heartbeat. I know the wait is hard but try and stay positive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the kind words.

I have done searches and see the positive stories, but also the negative stories. I'm trying to find something common with our story. We know the exact date obviously thanks to IVF so its not a question of "wrong date".

No blood tests were done today, no. I'm wondering if that is because the Dr knows that its too early to get worried ... who knows.

You are probably right that 7wks is a more certain date to check. Its funny, with the first one we didn't do any scans until 12wks ... sometimes maybe its better not to know anything! Of course the extra scans are needed due to IVF but still ...
    Last edited by HopefulDad; 01-09-2011 at 13:06. Reason: typos!

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulDad View Post
    You are probably right that 7wks is a more certain date to check. Its funny, with the first one we didn't do any scans until 12wks ... sometimes maybe its better not to know anything! Of course the extra scans are needed due to IVF but still ...
    Scans and tests can be so reassuring, but this year I've had to wonder if sometimes we're better off not knowing some things... During this pregnancy my 7 week scan picked up a subchorionic haematoma and my 18 week showed a single umbilical artery. Neither required any intervention, both have been of absolutely no consequence, and both have seen me entirely stressed out over nothing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also wanted to send support and say that some days I have signs of pregnancy and somedays I don't. Morning sickness for me doesn't ever occur but my breasts get sore sometimes for the whole day and on some days they feel normal. I think tired and hungry are still great signs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to let you know that I didn't and still don't really have any signs that I am pregnant (other than getting fatter now). I never got MS and we went for a scan at 7 weeks and saw a heart beat but our scan place said don't bother coming till 7 weeks as it is rare to see a HB before that.

it all works out for you and your wife

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with all the other posters! My FS said that he will only do ultrasounds after 7 weeks as it can be extremely difficult to find a heartbeat before that.

I know it i so very hard not to worry especially when the baby is so wanted but if you can just hang out til your next scan then at least you have a more complete picture.

For this pregnancy my symptoms would come and go and it would drive me crazy worried. I would have days were I was feeling like absolute poo and then the next day I would wake up and feel like a million bucks and my breasts would stop being sore, my tummy would go flat again and I wouldnt 'feel' pregnant at all.

So then I would go and POAS just to be sure and keep touchig my boobs to check if they are sore, etc.

Although I havent been in your position I do understand how you feel. Sometimes I think maybe 'ignorance is bliss' but then you just gotta know as well. Lots of women have been in the same situation on here and lots have gone on to have healthy babies.

For me I would take heart in the fact that she isnt bleeding and there are no cramps so that is definatley a positive sign!

Also remember every pregnancy is different so where your DW may have felt a certain way when UTD with your first, it is quite common for your subsequent pregnancies to be the complete opposite.

Take care and try not to worry too much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My IVF clinic recommends scans at 7 weeks, as any earlier could be too early to detect a HB. GOOD LUCK.