+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dr. Antony Lighten / SIVF

, thanks for stopping by this thread.

I am hoping that you can share your experiences about a Dr. Antony Lighten at SIVF [Norwest location] or suggest another FS at SIVF. The higher costs at SIVF are of no concern to us at the moment as we're prepared to spend as much as it takes to get our family.

I'm looking at moving to SIVF as they do egg retrieval 7 days per week [Am at Next Generation Parramatta now, and they only do it 3 days per week] & SIVF boast better freezing techniques.

My story in case you want to know:
    We only have a limited supply of sperm frozen. DH had cancer at the time of sperm collection and as such is not of great quality and we must also to ICSI. DH remains sperm free due to the various rounds of high dose chemo. His doctors have advised that it is unlikely his sperm will ever return.

I want to change clinics for a few reasons. I think the reasons below are fair, I hope you do also.

1. Next Gen made an error on day 1 of my cycle, and forgot to call me back to come and pick up my meds. When I rung them, the nurse said we shutting now, so come tomorrow morning instead and then said 'we can just only hope that does not affect things'
    2. They never increased my medication during the stim phase, and only saw me twice to check up on my folicle growth - the FN rang me on the last day of stimming and said to take a double dose, as there were not enough follicles and were not mature and sadly it made no difference as it was too late.
    3. My eggs should have been ready for collection on the Sunday, but as the FN explianed that Next Gen only to egg retrival 3 days per week, I had the choice to go on Friday and risk not having enough mature eggs, or go Monday and risk losing them. So I went with Friday. Only 5 mature eggs were collected, but only 1 made it to Blastocyst. [which ended in a M/C at 9 weeks]

So after that very long post, if you have any feedback on Dr. Lighten or can recommend another FS at SIVF that may suit us, I'd love to hear about it.
    Last edited by bebehvala; 31-08-2011 at 16:13.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bebehvala For This Useful Post:

SimpsonDesert  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am about to start my first ever ivf cycle . We are with Sivf , but in Kent Street and with Dr Helen Peric. I will let you know my experiences in 3 weeks when we start.
    We too had a misscarriage 2 months ago, but that was a natural conception.
    Due to my age and low Amh we have decided to go down the dreaded ivf path...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks & good luck on your IVF journey sticky.
    Much to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. When are you thinking to start? Dr. Peric is wonderful, but I don't know if she goes to any other clinic then the city.
    My husband works for Sivf or Genea as they are called from today.
    Have you seen the new FS yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sticky,

I would be okay to travel to CBD, but would prefer Norwest as it much closer for us.

I am surprised that nobody on bubhub has any feedback on Dr. Lighten. Perhaps he does not have a big client base or something??

I am still in the research phase of discovering who we will use next so I have not met him yet.

What does your DH do at Genea?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bebe,

I have not heard of this FS in particular - HOWEVER. i am with SIVF (Genea) and as far as sucess rates go, they have a 17% higher sucess rate than the national average. I am pretty sure this number is right, but out of 9 IVF Resarch licenses in Australia, SIVF Hold 8. I will add the content of an email they sent me so you can have a read, i found a few parts of the info really intresting. Its mostly about the name change but there are a few things in there that relate to sucess rates ETC. ALL my very best wished are with you for this cycle!!

Also - maybe have a look on their FB page, there is an article linked from the Sydney morning Herald that has a few interesting stats as well.

Dear Melanie,

I would like to share some exciting news about changes that are taking place at Sydney IVF.

For more than 25 years, we have been committed to providing the best possible chance of success and the greatest delivery of care to couples who dream of becoming parents.

As we enter a new era, our focus on and commitment to our patients will not change. However our name will change and Sydney IVF will become Genea on 1st September 2011.

This decision comes after a long and comprehensive process of talking to our patients, our doctors, referring GPs and our staff and it is not a step that has been taken lightly. But we believe the time is right to change our name to better reflect who we are. We are about much more than IVF and we make a difference to the lives of people all over the world.

As Sydney IVF, we have led the way in fertility not only in Australia, but worldwide, since 1985. We virtually doubled success rates in the 1990s. We have developed technology and equipment used in more than 600 clinics worldwide. We are now the most successful Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis clinic in the world, offering testing for more than 170 chromosome and genetic conditions.

These factors have led us to rename ourselves as Genea - World leaders in fertility.

Genea has origins in ancient Greek, where medical and ethical principles that still guide us today were founded. Genea also means family. For us, it is important that our name accurately reflects our goals and our commitment to providing our patients with the certainty that they could find no better fertility science or care anywhere in the world.

As always, we remain committed to improving our couples chance of success and for this reason we will continue to invest much more in research than any other clinic in Australia. Equally, we will remain focused on continuing to deliver the greatest of care. We believe it is important for anyone who has shared in our journey to now be aware of who we are, what we offer and how we are set apart from others in our field.

Should you wish to know more about what is happening at Genea and the improvements we continue to make in the science of fertility, please register for our patient newsletter at genea.com.au/patient

Thank you for being a part of Sydney IVF and welcome to Genea.
    Last edited by Melzey; 01-09-2011 at 12:13. Reason: Additioon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wishing you all the best on your journey
    Last edited by AceOfBase; 06-01-2015 at 12:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi bebe

The only experience i have had with Dr Lighten was an egg collection he did for me when he worked at IVF Aust. He was nice enough and when i woke i was not sore at all compared to the previous EPU i had......but that's about it. One of the nurses at IVF Aust who i was friends with did recommend him to me though...and she was very honest. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH works in the Embryologie Lab. Yes, they are pretty good, but we are partial. If he didn't work there, and I wouldn't have time-issues, I would consider Rpa Hospital Fertility. They are public and are actually part of Genea. Same protocol etc. But not your choice of doctors. I believe Sivf 's Dr Livingston works there. There is a long waitinglist for them , they are not even taking appointments at the moment.
    Mum to chris...
    I know this is hard, but many fertility clinics have a weight policy. Yes, overweight people do fall pregnant, but your chances are reduced. Some people are able to conceive at 48, but majority is not able to.
    From what I know, if you are just 10% overweight it starts to affect your fertility. Women going through Ivf are more monitored and medicated then our natural sisters. We are putting alot of strain on our body with Ivf, so the Fs wants to give you the best chance. My Fs won't treat you either if your BMI is too high. Do you know that statistically even a loss of 10% increases your chances of success dramatically. I am not sure what Geneas policy on weight is, but they are in it to make money, so I don't know if they care too much. Pls. Don't mind me telling you this, but I want everybody to have the best chance of success when going through this mess. Good luck to you :$
    Last edited by Zwergele; 01-09-2011 at 14:33.

MummyM00 is offline ~ Thanking God for our lil' miracle every day!! ~
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bebe,

I've seen Dr. lighten this year as we were referred to SIVF. I was abit hesitant at first because the few comments I had read about him suggested he was stand offish and abrupt. My own personal experience was the complete opposite, I found him very thorough, he explained all our options, gave us his recommendation on the best option from his point of view in terms of cost and success rates but still left the final decision in our hands...never pushed us either way.  He even made a few jokes to put me at ease when he saw how nervous I was.

In regards to the weight issue...I'm not a big girl either but the way Dr. Lighten explained to me was if I was to lose 10% of my body weight, the chances of IVF being successful increased dramatically. Again he didn't push me to join his program but left the decision up to me. I did join his program, lost the weight (and more), met some wonderful ladies walking a similar path to me (which made me feel like there ARE others out there in similar situations) and best of all...I fell pregnant naturally!

At the end of the day the choice is yours hun...if you dont like him (or any FS youre referred to) the simply ask to be referred to someone else until you find the one you like. YOU being comfortable with your FS is the most important thing! Anyways hope this helps a little & if you need more info just PM me =)
    Last edited by MummyM00; 01-09-2011 at 14:56.