Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Have private health cover but planning on going public

Abdomen lol was supposed to be and I am

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by march2013 View Post
    I've decided to go public abdomen
    So impressed so far. Ive received excellent care and great advice.
    I also found out the hospital I'm going to offer mother baby care service for free. The 6 days after I leave hospital I get a midwife for 5 hours a day to do things like: clean house, prepare meals, help with baby, really anything that you need doing. I thought this was excellent!
    Sounds great! Which hospital have you chosen? Is the mother/baby care service a new thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kw123,

I saw this old post on bubhub 'Have private health cover but planning on going public'.

I am in same situation as you were. i have option of mercy heidelberg or private. we can afford private oop (approx min 4k in a normal preg) but not sure we should spend that money.

the question we are still asking to ourselves that we took PHI (level 2 with birth related services, so paid $700-800 per year extra for birth related services), now it is the time to utilize it but yes there is additional approx 4K out of pocket cost. What do you think will there be any regrets if we go public and don’t use our PHI. Shall I cancel my PHI why keep paying premiums then?

Thanks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to idina For This Useful Post:

Oopsy Daisy  (03-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kw123, for my first two I was a private patient in a public hospital, all I had to pay was my OB appointments and a $1500 management fee, that was it as my ob was a no gaps provider. My first birth required an emergency c/section and my risk of a repeat were 50/50 so I booked an elective c/section for my second. A few years later and by quite a surprise I found out I'm about to so it all over again, I had dropped birth related services as I hadn't planned on having anymore but due to my personal circumstances I would not be comfortable going public. My mum works in the main public hospital in my area (and it also has the best track record) and she would not be happy with me coming through there. So I am paying to go private, my health fund will still cover some of the costs but very little! I think it looks as if it will cost me around $4000 in total some of which I will get back through medicare, but if I had full cover it would only be $2000. Also your baby is covered from birth if you have family cover and doesn't have any waiting periods to serve. Goodluck with your choice

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have since had my baby as well at KEMH and the experience was fantastic. I had midwives I had never met before & a student but I preferred that. Was induced and got an epidural soon as I asked for it. Was a vaginal birth. Was in hosp 5 days - 4 because of antibiotics for bub for possible infection from the meconium, my gestational diabetes and an episiotomy. After 4 days they said they could go home but I told them we didn't have breastfeeding down so I stayed one more night, they gave me free lactation consultant appointments, free hire of breast pump for 2 weeks, breast shield, bottles. The food was great - I wanted the recipes. I also somehow scored a private room. I also had one more midwife visit at my house. My husband could not stay (not that we asked just assumed he couldn't) - it was good for him to get some rest at home though although I would have appreciated the company when bub wouldn't let me sleep all night!

I am now pregnant again and going with KEMH again, hopefully my experience will be as good as it was last time although I hope to be out earlier so I can be back home with family and toddler.