+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you go to a public hospital but as a private patient? I know I did that when I had a kidney infection and I got my own room - not sure if it's different with pregnancy??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Natlib View Post
    Can you go to a public hospital but as a private patient? I know I did that when I had a kidney infection and I got my own room - not sure if it's different with pregnancy??
    You'd have to find an ob who delivers at the public hospital. I'm pretty sure there are a decent amount of hospitals that take both public & private patients though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ohdear View Post
    definitely book same as public you need to book
    How can you book if you don't know when you will be going, and won't be giving birth there?? Genuine question as we may end up doing this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have heard the same thing about Private & C-Sections.. We have full private cover but am terrified of being encouraged to have a C-Section. We are due around Christmas time and am concerned it will be more convenient for the private doctor to perform a C-Section then to wait until bubs is ready.. Strongly considering reducing private cover & going public.

This is our first child/pregnancy & would really appeciate peoples thoughts...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am sure there are plenty of OBs who advocate natural birth. I think the intervention rates for private are often higher because women who want a c-section have to go private, or they might be older, etc.

Having said that we are going public and have hired a private midwife as I have never felt the need to hire an OB (who is, after a, a surgeon) to assist me in my pregnancy. We are very happy with the care we have received both from the PM and the hospital, and feel it is a more holistic approach than the private/OB route.

We have full health cover as we wanted the options but now we have decided we reduced our cover to not include obstetrics as we don't need it.

It's such a personal decision and there is no right or wrong way - its just whatever feels right for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayeeg View Post
    I have heard the same thing about Private & C-Sections.. We have full private cover but am terrified of being encouraged to have a C-Section. We are due around Christmas time and am concerned it will be more convenient for the private doctor to perform a C-Section then to wait until bubs is ready.. Strongly considering reducing private cover & going public.

This is our first child/pregnancy & would really appeciate peoples thoughts...?

My first was due December 20, and because of Christmas I was convinced to allow them to induce me on Dec 16. BIG mistake. Unfortunately I didn't know better then, and trusted the Ob when he said bub was well and truly ready and I just needed a helping hand to get started. Meh.
    I'm sure there are some wonderful ob's out there, but there are definitely a lot of intervention happy obs as well. Either way, whether you go public or private, you need to arm yourself with knowledge. Had I known then what I know now there's no way I'd have let them induce me.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm glad to see this thread. I'd like to keep it going because I want to hear about as many ladies experiences as possible. I dawdled in upping my health insurance to include obstetrics and started trying too early, then a month and a half after paying for the extra insurance, I'm pregnant! So now I won't make the waiting period and will have to go public.

To be honest, I'm not fussed about having a private room, or a private OB or midwife. I'm a bit shy and I would prefer not to see the same person each time. What I'm afraid of, is whether I would get better care for myself and my baby if I went private. I would hate myself if I started out my baby's life without giving him or her the best care possible. So I'm scouring the internet for as much info as possible and hopefully proof that public is as good if not better.

If public turns out to be a great experience, I think for my second baby I would go public as a private patient, I feel somewhat guilty already that I will be receiving "free" care in the public system!

Since I have to go public and I live in Wembley in Perth I've got the choice of King Edward Memorial Hospital in Subi or Osborne Park hospital. My GP told me that Osborne Park would be better, because KEMH is for high risk pregnancies and therefore busier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have since had my baby since starting this thread... We went public and I honesty don't know why anyone would go private! We did pay for a private midwife as well but that was an extra for us. The public hospital was great - staff were all great and had a positive labour and birth experience. After birth had my own room with double bed and DH was allowed to stay with me (but this is because we left after 24 hours). Fed well, had good support, have access to free BF clinic until bub is 3 months old, home visits from midwife... All free!! The only slightly negative thing was wait times for appointments but in the grand scheme of things that now feels totally irrelevant.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (02-07-2012),oops  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much kw123, that's great to hear!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Have private health cover but planning on going public

I've decided to go public abdomen
    So impressed so far. Ive received excellent care and great advice.
    I also found out the hospital I'm going to offer mother baby care service for free. The 6 days after I leave hospital I get a midwife for 5 hours a day to do things like: clean house, prepare meals, help with baby, really anything that you need doing. I thought this was excellent!