+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Went private with DD.. Not particularly happy with the care. Ended up in the local public hospital when DD wad a few weeks old ( with mastitis and breast cellulitis) and we were thrilled with their care & attention. Still have PHI but going to our local public hospital for this bub.. Plus they do case load midwife care which appeals to me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP you can save a lot of money by getting great care going to Royal Womens and just using your PHI to book into a private room. For me, I would just pay $150 out of pocket for my hospital stay and everything is included with my fund. So the birth and pregnancy would be public, but booking into the hospital to stay afterwards I could be a private patient in my own room, but that is only because I need a c-section. If I were going vaginal and I would be having my third, I would leave hours after if it is all ok!

If you want to leave, you can go as early as 4 hours after your birth if you are 100% healthy and so is your baby. You would just have to wait to have the doctor check you and the pediatrician to check your baby and the discharge papers and then you can go if you want that. The usual stay in hospital is 1-2 nights after a problem free vaginal birth and 3-5 nights after a c-section.

The only thing about going to Royal Women's as a public is I thought that you had to live in the catchment area, so the surrounding suburbs. I'm not sure about this though, so maybe someone who went can tell you . But you probably do live in the surrounding area anyway if you considering going there.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i'm another who was very happy with the care at the women's. i had all my appointments booked for 8.30 in the morning and i never waited more than 20 minutes to see the midwife. I also saw the physio there for free on 3 occasions.
    They were incredibly encouraging of natural birth, the birthing suites were lovely- large and well equipped, with big baths.
    Post natal care, i ended up in a double room which was where things went downhill. My partner couldn't stay and i was in the room next to the nurse's station where they chatted allll through the night. I also didn't like the way they offered me formula before i saw the lactation consultant, and the food was outrageously bad. So i would definitely birth there again, but i would get the hell outta there asap or do what TLT said and get a private room.

I'm also pretty sure you either have to live in the catchement area, which is quite small, or be referred due to complications/high risk

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a million questions about this! Hope that's ok. I'm in Tassie, in Launceston actually so I don't have the choice to go to a Private Hospital as all births are through the General Hospital. You can get transferred to a private hospital but only after the birth and to me that seems pointless. I would rather just go home.

I am planning on a home birth but I did take out private health cover as of 27th of May. Just wondering if it's worth waiting it out.

Would really appreciate some help with these questions:
    What is the OB's role during pregnancy?
    Does Private cover costs towards Obstetrician (OB)?
    Does the OB attend all pregnancy checkups and birth?
    Does medicare cover all the pregnancy checkup costs? E.g Ultrasounds in hospital.

Sorry for all the questions! If anyone could explain general events and costs throughout pregnancy I would be so grateful! I have no idea what to expect...so confused!!!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a public hospital birth and I really could not see why you would waste all that money going private. Each to their own me course. I had a choice of two public hospitals and one of them only had private rooms. Mine had twin rooms. I was never bothered by my room mate or visitors and I was not bothered that my partner had to go home. It was good to have time to myself as between him being there all day, visitors coming and going and visiting a bub in special care i was in need of some solitary time.

To ensure continuity of care during the pregnancy due to my advanced age I saw a private ob for appointments which left me fifteen dollars out of pocket each visit. I was hoping for midwives for the birth but in the end an ob stepped in and it did not matter I had never met him and I actually preferred him to the private one.

I got to stay five nights which was how long bub stayed three as a patient two in a bonding room attached to special care. I had help with every single breast feed. Never had to wait for a loo or shower and the facilities were always spotless. Food was great and I am fussy as. I would go public again in a heartbeat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks so much for all the replies! I had no idea I could use my PHI for any hospital stay after the birth. Brilliant! I didn't know there was a catchment but I'm pretty sure it's the nearest public maternity hospital to me. I assume when I am PG and see my GP she will be able to give me more info on this. I'm not doing shared care as my GP in the city charges a fortune for visits, and you always have to book in for 30 mins.

Thanks for sharing your experiences
    with me

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Thanks so much for all the replies! I had no idea I could use my PHI for any hospital stay after the birth. Brilliant! I didn't know there was a catchment but I'm pretty sure it's the nearest public maternity hospital to me. I assume when I am PG and see my GP she will be able to give me more info on this. I'm not doing shared care as my GP in the city charges a fortune for visits, and you always have to book in for 30 mins.

Thanks for sharing your experiences
    with me
    Is that what your gp said? Mine is usually expenive like $95! But for shared care it was bulk billed You could call the womens and check their catchment too, I live about 7km away and was just in.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thumbs up We were very impressed with public!

Hi there,
    We had a baby last year in october and we could have not wished for better care, we live in a Bayside suburb (hampton)and the local hospital was great they have a clinic which is linked to the hospital so you go there for all your pregnancy check ups, everything is documented and they ensure all things are done correctly ie, if you are blood type negative they ensure you get your shots anti d, a friend missed her shots and she went private!! So we were very impressed and happy, the hospital wants you to deliver naturally if there are any problems there is always a doctor on call, even when it's midnight!and they will do everything to check if you and baby are safe and they are patient and don't just put you under the knife like in private hospitals. I'm sure some people may have had bad experiences in both public and private, I was more than impressed with the public system!so make sure you do a few tours of hospitals before you decide ask them about their c sec stats etc you can find these on the web aswell just make sure you do your research, I have had two friends deliver in the same hospital and they were very impressed aswell one was even a ivf baby and delivered naturally without any problems. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another great piece of info! My GP is also around $95 but when it happens I will ask if they bulk bill for shared care. I won't get my hopes up though. I'm in Prahran so should be within the 7km radius. With the Alfred had a maternity unit!! Not sure where the closest would be if can't go to the Women's. Monash is out as it's way too far for me to get to appts and then back into the city for work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were bulk billed at the Sandringham clinic and didn't have to pay for anything apart from the scans if you want it done at a different clinic instead of hospital but then you get a refund from Medicare. Just make sure your gp is doing everything by the books all blood tests, injections etc are administered at the right times, in our birth class we had a couple that were seeing a gp outside the hospital privately and the nurses were very worried about them as the gp didn't do check ups as frequently as us and we were in the outpatients clinic linked to sandy memorial hospital. Good luck! $95! That's a bit steep for a gp visit in Brighton we pay $65! Hope it's a great gp!