+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mine at the women's and I don't think I could have had better care.
    I had the same midwife through out. And when I became high risk at 27 weeks I had an ob that didn't change the midwife also still stayed with me till the end. I also had neurosurgents looking after me at the royal melb and they worked together to care for me. My pregnancy was life threatening to me and my baby was in special care for three weeks. I don't think I could have got that kind of care at a private hospital.

If you can get into the women's I recommend it.
    Last edited by Polly2010; 20-08-2011 at 16:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh they also have single and double rooms just depends on your luck!

Guest Guest
    I just gave birth at the womens in February, my first birth was st Vincents private.
    Big differences for me were as follows:
    I did shared care gp, so I saw my gp for my visits with the main appointments only at the hospital, the only issue I had with seeing my gp was when I had an issue I had to go the emergency and wait a few hours to be seen by whomever was on, this happened alot. She also didn't diagnose an infection I had which had me in hospital 2 months later, even though I kept telling her about symptoms.
    With my ob first time, if i had a problem, I called her and I could see her 24/7, if I needed (which I did) I could go the hospital where she'd meet me.
    So the care during pregnancy is more personalised and your only speaking to 1 person.
    I chose not to do midwife program because I didn't have time to go into the city, pay parking and wait for over an hour (they were/are very busy) I had a toddler at home so it would take up half my day.
    The delivery for my first was an emergency c/s at private, and i had horrible midwives who didn't believe in natural methods of labour and didn't help me at all. I was coerced into taking pain meds even though I kept saying no. So during labour was awful at private, my ob came in and out to see how I was going, she's the one that actually helped me when my baby was posterior told me which positions to sit in etc. She was very very good and I believe did everything she could.
    At public I went into labour and I was in the er derpartment for 5 hours waiting for a birthing suite, I had no care by staff, when I got my room I had a very experienced midwife (+my doula) and being a vbac my midwife was very compliant with my birth plan, it was a beautiful, drug-free delivery in the end and I loved my midwife (even though she never spoke haha)
    The aftercare for both were fantastic, I had more personalised care in private, dh could stay every night, food was better, midwives more attentive and helpful, but in public I had a less physical need of the midwives so it didn't bother me and dh had to stay home with my son so it made no difference if he was there. I also got a private room with double bed, only 4 of 50 are, so I was really really lucky. the midwives told me they delibaretly gave to me, they all loved I was a vbac, were sorry I spent so long in ER almost giving birth there, so it was really nice they knew who I was. I also only stayed 2 nights which was more than enough.

Breastfeeding I ad midwife help at private, but at the womens you have a breastfeeding clinic and free lactation consultants. This was my main reason in choosing to birth at the womens, but if you don't want to breastfeed they won't make you stay? Only if your baby is having trouble with feeding, they're public so they want you out as soon as possible lol

Hope this helps you abit. I think also you could ask about your after care, the womens ahs a private part so you could possibly use your phi for the aftercare, garuantee you a private room and have your dh stay? Worth a try in finding out your options with your phi?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went public with DD and did not have a good experience. I had PI and wanted midwife care but the hospital I went to wasn't great and I vowed I would NEVER go back.

I am nearly 11 weeks pregnant still have PI but am going public at a different hospital. The reason I chose this hospital is they have a Homebirth program. I have my one midwife that does ALL of my appointments then I can have my baby at home and she comes to my house for all my follow up care. Actually for the birth itself I will have her and her partner midwife!!!! I can call her 24 hrs a day and she us fabulous.

I would have also liced an IM but we did IVF to conceive and money is an issue. With all of the stupid law changes for IM some are not working/registering etc. I think it is totally unfair that you get NO Medicare rebates for having an IM

This post probably sounds like I am anti OB's/private hospys and that is NOT true. These are the decisions that DP and I have made because we believe we will have the best birth outcome (least interventions etc).

What I believe is that every woman has the right to have informed choices about birth and that ALL birth choices are made available. If I had a high risk pregnancy I would be the first to get a private OB - probably have to go public as public hospitals are better equipped to deal with emergencies, preterm bubs etc etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Your not missing anything.

Your reasons are the same reasons I went public with PHI. Ended needing NICU & all the rest of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went public at The Womens with ds1. I thought the care there was outstanding. I saw only 2 midwives for all my appointments. They gave me plenty of time in all my appointments and always gave me plenty of detail when I asked questions. When things started to go wrong during my labour they fully supported me attempting a vb instead of just racing me off for a cs. Although I ended up having a cs anyway I still felt they gave me every chance for a natural birth.
    They have single and double rooms. Just depends on what is available. Although they say partners can't stay my Df stayed one night. He slept in a chair and they were really sweet, they didn't want to wake him!
    They have great classes you can do while there, physio and breastfeeding etc. And heaps of staff to help you whenever needed. Lactation consultants etc.
    The only thing I didn't like was the food. But it could have been because I never got around to eating it till visitors had gone and by then it was cold.
    I know plenty of people who have paid huge money for private and have been given poor service for the money. Obs who aren't contactable or have midwives do their appointments. Or they spend 5 minutes with you and don't listen or offer any extra information. You can't guarantee they will be available for your birth. Many private hospitals are not equipped for emergencies or to deal with babies with extra needs.
    If you go private you need to do plenty of research and make sure you get a good Ob. Otherwise I think it is a huge waste of money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on the hospital. In tassie I went public, had my own room could have my partner there and I had a top ob assisting in the birth. It was the best and I didn't pay a cent even for scans. But when I had DD in Syd it was a nightmare from hell. I was put in a room with 3 other women, one bathroom, over worked midwives who where beyond rude. Visitors where coming and going at one stage in the room there where about 20 ppl. Screaming babies I was having a nervous breakdown. Never ever again! Just depends on the hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I had phi and chose public for the my first and am going public - different hospital though - again.

I'm fine with public vs private. Room sharing, df going home - he has to stat with our toddler anyway - doesn't fuss me. And if I can find the funds I'd rather have a independent midwife or doula in a public hospital.

Though id prefer not to go at all, I'm ideally laboring as long as possible at home, go to push out baby and come home later than day/the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had private with ds and went public because all the best neo care is in public hospitals.
    With dd no private health she was a prem and public was the best place to be.
    I had fantastic births and care through the public system (I know not everyone does) but I would always go public just in case because you never know what will happen during the birth or after. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I didnt realise there was such a difference in the availability of NICU facilities between private and public. Perhaps its because I am in a regional area, the only maternity private hospital has the same NICU facilities as the public. But if if there is a bub with very special needs you have to travel 2 hours to Brissy wether u go private or public.